Micro SD showing wrong occupation, how can I correct it?

Gibraltar75

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Micro SD showing wrong ocupation

Hi,
I have a Samsung micro SD 32GB on my Lumia 820 and has been working fine.
I've just realized that L820 shows only 3,5GB free space in Storage Sense which I found odd. Cheking with Windows Explorer (either with card in phone and card directly in PC) it also shows 3,5GB free.

So I browsed around and found that the Video section in Storage Sense shows 8,7GB of data but if I access that folder from Windows Explorer it only shows 1,3GB.
I've tried ejecting the card and inserting it again - no change.
Ejected the card, inserted in PC with adapter and checked for errors - no errors found and no change in free size.

So it seems that Storage Sense is reporting a free space in line with Windows Explorer but atributes this usage to the Videos section which seems incorrect.
I have some apps and games installed and the option of formating the card will have to be very well pondered.

Any ideas to try out?

Thanks.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Micro SD showing wrong ocupation

That sounds odd. Try to plug the card directly to PC and show all hidden and protected files in Windows, or use PC with other OS so all of the folder will show up, and check the individual folder size.

Gibraltar75

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Micro SD showing wrong ocupation

Already did that, no change. The v?deo folder only shows 1,3GB used, but Storage Sense keeps showing 8,5GB used.

Any more ideas?

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I had a card in my 1520 that would report everything under "Other" ... a few days (!!) and a few restarts later, all the sudden the correct numbers were in the correct places. No idea why.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Did you format the SD card in the device you installed it in. Sometimes if you put a pre formatted card into a device, it has a problem reading it correctly. I would copy the data on the card to the PC and then format the card in the 820 and copy the data back to the card. Plugging your phone into the PC using a data cable would allow you to use Windows explorer to move and then copy back.

Gibraltar75

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I just figured out what the "problem" was.
The Storage Sense app counts video files not only on the v?deos folder but system wide, in my case was also counting v?deos in Pictures\Camera Roll recorded with the phone camera. So it seems there was never a probem with the app nor with the card. The problem was my expectations on how the app works.
Solved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa