Convince Me to Switch - From WP8 to 8.1

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Provocative title , I know.

​I am a happy owner of a Lumia 920 running WP8 w/Black udate. I have preciously owned an HTC8S running 8.1 and the difference , while having a couple cool features I'd like (multi volume and ringer setting, IE11) wasnt that impressive. As a mater of fact, loosing the FB ad Twitter OS inergration and the universal chat feature was just too much. I have the 8.1 update waiting but I just can't seem to see the benefit.

What do you all tthink?

A few things to know before you answer...

Cortana s of little use to me. I live in Viet Nam where its functionality is slim to none, I don't want to install the FB app as its a battery hog and slow, no need to install apps on an SD as the 920 doesn't have one and 32GB is plenty for me..

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Faster, smoother, better firmware update ie your pics will be far better, videos far clearer, transparent tiles for a prettier or awesome looking start screen, battery saver is much improved can make your device tun longer between charges just to name but a few.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Features.. I haven't come across a "must have" compelling feature yet. Nice to have features? OK, but not must haves.

Re Battery Saver: From my experience , 8.1 is a battery drainer. So a better battery saver won't do as well as my WP8 stock battery..just my opinion.

Re Smoother, Faster.. I never noticed that on my 8.1 HTC. As a matter of fact, I found it more disjointed and less flowing and intuitive..again , just my opinion.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Features.. I haven't come across a "must have" compelling feature yet. Nice to have features? OK, but not must haves.

Re Battery Saver: From my experience , 8.1 is a battery drainer. So a better battery saver won't do as well as my WP8 stock battery..just my opinion.

Re Smoother, Faster.. I never noticed that on my 8.1 HTC. As a matter of fact, I found it more disjointed and less flowing and intuitive..again , just my opinion.

Can I ask did you use preview for developers when you had 8.1?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I missed from "the good old days" is hub integration, even though it was buggy. Don't dwell on the past... as they said...move on, move on...

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I missed from "the good old days" is hub integration, even though it was buggy. Don't dwell on the past... as they said...move on, move on...

The good ol days were only a year ago..:)

Understand the thinking but loosing the FB/Twitter integration is not a step forward. Its a critical feature for me.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Can I ask did you use preview for developers when you had 8.1?

The reason why I ask is 8.1 has since been released officially (you dont need preview for devs anymore) and its alot better more stable. I'd say go ahead and update. You won't be disappointed.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the previews tend to be battery hogs and won't give you as true of a picture of what battery life would actually be. I know I had that issue when I had tried the preview before it was official.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, Denim is slower than Cyan, resuming and app refresh happen all the time, and my device often ran out of memory and become unresponsive then automatically restart, probably because my device is low end, but it never happened before Denim, my device is from 2013. So my suggestion is, don't upgrade unless you have experienced with yourself a 920 running Denim for at least a day, and you can tolerate it, since Denim is official there is no going back unless you have the old firmware.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I could not understand the Facebook and battery hog thing, you can just stop it from running in the background using the battery saver. Other than that I think some apps on 8 would be outdated.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Provocative title , I know.

​I am a happy owner of a Lumia 920 running WP8 w/Black udate. I have preciously owned an HTC8S running 8.1 and the difference , while having a couple cool features I'd like (multi volume and ringer setting, IE11) wasnt that impressive. As a mater of fact, loosing the FB ad Twitter OS inergration and the universal chat feature was just too much. I have the 8.1 update waiting but I just can't seem to see the benefit.

What do you all tthink?

A few things to know before you answer...

Cortana s of little use to me. I live in Viet Nam where its functionality is slim to none, I don't want to install the FB app as its a battery hog and slow, no need to install apps on an SD as the 920 doesn't have one and 32GB is plenty for me..

Here's an idea then ..... don't upgrade, you seem completely set against it anyway and the Facebook Connect features will be around forever!!!!

Oh, wait Facebook Connect features shut down for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone apps | Windows Central Looks like you won't have a choice then!!

You seem to be judging WP8.1 based on the PfD, FYI the Facebook app can be turned off in the background and if you think the WP version is slow then don't even bother with the Android version!!!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
On decent hardware, 8.1 runs great.

I can't imagine going back to an OS without an Action/Notification Center... Everything about 8.1 is better, IMO. However, I never cared for or used the Hub aspects that were removed, so I could see that as quite a negative.

The ability to upload files from IE11 is extremely useful and long welcome.

You're also missing Cyan camera improvements...

Keep in mind, the 920 has more powerful hardware than the 8S. Windows 8/8.1 just runs bad on 512MB devices, as is, besides the fact the processor is slower. With a clean install on your 920, the OS will run smooth as ever. I just put 8.1 back on my 1020 from a fresh install. Runs as smooth as the day I bought it. I have a 520, it runs terrible on 8.1, even with a clean install. The difference is MASSIVE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett