Convince Me to Switch - From WP8 to 8.1

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Provocative title , I know.

​I am a happy owner of a Lumia 920 running WP8 w/Black udate. I have preciously owned an HTC8S running 8.1 and the difference , while having a couple cool features I'd like (multi volume and ringer setting, IE11) wasnt that impressive. As a mater of fact, loosing the FB ad Twitter OS inergration and the universal chat feature was just too much. I have the 8.1 update waiting but I just can't seem to see the benefit.

What do you all tthink?

I think you should give 8.1 a shot on your 920, at least for a while. The positives (action center, 3 column start screen, etc) outweigh the negatives. That being said 8.1 screwed up some stuff:

a lot more stutters than 8
cobalt blue accent color is now a weak purple blue
dumbed down hubs (pictures, me tile)
games in the app list
no longer can mute phone with one tap
no more auto-hiding system tray (some people like this but they're crazy)
no more carousel mode in pictures gallery
no more text editing cursor (in 8.1 you have to slide tiny bubbles around)

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
We're on the threshold of Windows 10. I strongly recommend you upgrade to 8.1 as that is your test bed to becoming familiar with how Windows 10 works.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Features.. I haven't come across a "must have" compelling feature yet. Nice to have features? OK, but not must haves.

Re Battery Saver: From my experience , 8.1 is a battery drainer. So a better battery saver won't do as well as my WP8 stock battery..just my opinion.

Re Smoother, Faster.. I never noticed that on my 8.1 HTC. As a matter of fact, I found it more disjointed and less flowing and intuitive..again , just my opinion.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

OK then don't. You want us to beg ? :grin: Just kidding but you don't see the benefits then you don't see the benefits. If you installed it a LONG time ago with PfD it's bug free since those days... but what's this game of wanting us to convince you ? :asleep:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Try it is the ony thing I can say, if you don't want to then stay on WP8 - until W10 is released (or until MS stop supporting Windows 8 or even when your device dies)...Out of curiosity are you still running windows XP? Windows 7? Windows 8 or 8.1 on PC?

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Try it is the ony thing I can say, if you don't want to then stay on WP8 - until W10 is released (or until MS stop supporting Windows 8 or even when your device dies)...Out of zcuriosity are you still running windows XP? Windows 7? Windows 8 or 8.1 on PC?

​8.1 on a laptop

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Would you happily roll back to version 8....same thing with mobile OS - you get more features, bug fixes etc - Ive only ever regretted one upgrade and that was on my iPad 2 going to iOS 6 - 5 had integrated maps and was a joy to use.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
FWIW OP, I tried the DP through several updates last summer and reverted back.

They started checking a few feature boxes finally, but also started rolling back what made it WP. Did they think we all chose an OS with no apps and no features just so they could gut the one defining aspect?

I now have three phones still 8, have images and Nokia something downloaded to flash them just in case, and that's it. :/

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
As has been said, it sounds like you like WP8 just fine, so stick with it if people hub integration with facebook is really that important.

Personally, I don't use facebook and found having twitter integrated into the hub annoying, so for me I couldn't care less about how they work because both are turned off for me.

For me, I love 8.1 over WP8 for the following reasons: WordFlow keyboard, NotificationCenter / ActionCenter, Live Folders, Cortana's location-based uses (reminders based on location, weather alerts based on location (which, now Weather Channel can do, but at the time Cortana came out, no other weather app seemed to do it or do it well)).

So, I couldn't imagine having to go back to WP8 after having WordFlow and the location-based reminders. They have become too useful for me. I'd give up notifications if I had to, but I almost exclusively use wordflow everytime I type just because it's so much faster, and generally 99% accurate.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. 8.1 isn't that amazing, and 10 looks to be even less impressive. stick with 8.0 if you like it, and don't trade up. you'll likely regret it. Cortana is useless outside the USA (i live in canada and really besides quiet hours, there isn't anything she does ACTUALLY worth it). Stick with what works for you.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
As has been said, it sounds like you like WP8 just fine, so stick with it if people hub integration with facebook is really that important.

Personally, I don't use facebook and found having twitter integrated into the hub annoying, so for me I couldn't care less about how they work because both are turned off for me.

For me, I love 8.1 over WP8 for the following reasons: WordFlow keyboard, NotificationCenter / ActionCenter, Live Folders, Cortana's location-based uses (reminders based on location, weather alerts based on location (which, now Weather Channel can do, but at the time Cortana came out, no other weather app seemed to do it or do it well)).

So, I couldn't imagine having to go back to WP8 after having WordFlow and the location-based reminders. They have become too useful for me. I'd give up notifications if I had to, but I almost exclusively use wordflow everytime I type just because it's so much faster, and generally 99% accurate.
Do your location based reminders ACTUALLY work? if i ask her to remind me to get something when i'm at the store she
A) doesn't ever
B) does like an hour later

this is on the 3 windows phones i currently own. Location based reminders in Canada don't work AT ALL

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I really hated losing the photos hub and built in facebook integration from wp8, but since facebook integration is dead effective today, you might as well update to 8.1.

Nice things about 8.1:

- transparent tiles showing a background image.
- The wifi / bluetooth toggles in the action center.

Even though I loved wp8 and solid tile colours, I now love running a "in the tiles" background image on my start screen. I feel that if wp8 had launched with this option, along with the action center, it would have won over a lot more customers (those who said, "I hate the stupid tiles", and "waaaahhh, waahh, I need an action center").

I could live without the action center for notifications (live tiles did the job for me), but I love those quick toggles.

I still hate not having the photos hub, and even more so, I loved the facebook integration in the photos hub - being able to check out my facebook photos from the hub when I needed to dig up an old photo to show someone.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Do your location based reminders ACTUALLY work? if i ask her to remind me to get something when i'm at the store she
A) doesn't ever
B) does like an hour later

this is on the 3 windows phones i currently own. Location based reminders in Canada don't work AT ALL
I use location based reminders at least once a day and they always work for me on my 930 in the US

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss