Best WP for Verizon?

ZeroTheBurninator

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
So I just tried to hook my Nokia 1520 (That I'm absolutely in love with) to verizon - And it didn't work. I've done research (which I should have done before) and found out why - Because it's not compatible with the network (which is really stupid IMO.).

In any case, what Windows Phones can I use on the verizon network? I love my current plan, and don't wish to switch providers, just have a windows phone on the side for when I need it (for development and stuff). I'd prefer a larger screen as well, but it's not a requirement. Thanks! :D

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the lumia 735 is coming out next week, which should be a nice phone, albeit a mid range. technically, the better phone is the lumia icon, which has recently been updated with denim. the real question is what flagship will verizon get this fall, and should you hold off a real purchase/ contract deal until then. personally, IF i had to stick with verizon, i would get the cheapest phone i could right now before knowing what comes out in the fall for W10M.

ZeroTheBurninator

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Verizon will only activate a Verizon branded phone onto Verizon...

As long as it's unlocked (and apparently on the right bands/using the right technology?), my local store has no problem doing it. They tried, but the IMEI wasn't in their database because the phone wasn't compatible with their network. (That was their reasoning for it, as opposed to "it has to be verizon brand".)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As long as it's unlocked (and apparently on the right bands/using the right technology?), my local store has no problem doing it. They tried, but the IMEI wasn't in their database because the phone wasn't compatible with their network. (That was their reasoning for it, as opposed to "it has to be verizon brand".)

Well, only Verizon branded phones have the hardware to even work with Verizon's CDMA network for the most part.
And on top of that, they whitelist phones I believe, so a Sprint model probably won't be working on that and vice versa.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I just tried to hook my Nokia 1520 (That I'm absolutely in love with) to verizon - And it didn't work. I've done research (which I should have done before) and found out why - Because it's not compatible with the network (which is really stupid IMO.).

In any case, what Windows Phones can I use on the verizon network? I love my current plan, and don't wish to switch providers, just have a windows phone on the side for when I need it (for development and stuff). I'd prefer a larger screen as well, but it's not a requirement. Thanks! :D

Lumia ICON, HTC One M8

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
honorable mention could include the Microsoft Lumia 730 coming this month (or next month I think)...

As the ICON has its notorious bugs

And the HTC one m8 is going to be lacking some great Lumia exclusive stuff if those matter to you.

I personally wouldn't choose the 730. I would go with the ICON or the M8 ,but I just wanted the 730 to have its mention. :)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with these choices.
I'd pick the Samsung ATIV SE if it was by hardware design alone, but Samsung's support of it has been... poor, while both other phones have more of a future.

Yeah, the SE was more of a "me too" play by Samsung. I wouldn't even trust the 1520 to get certain features post Windows 10 lol

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the SE was more of a "me too" play by Samsung. I wouldn't even trust the 1520 to get certain features post Windows 10 lol

The SE has 8.1 and will get Windows 10. What more can you wish for? I wish more people actually used this phone instead of ragging it based on hearsay. Even Daniel Rubino gave it high marks here on WC.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think windows 10 will aesthetically make windows look much more suitable on devices such as the htc one and Samsung phones, as the current windows ui, due to having so many black or white backgrounds make it look unnatural on their phones...

Lumia phones were made so perfectly to suit the windows UI

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The SE has 8.1 and will get Windows 10. What more can you wish for? I wish more people actually used this phone instead of ragging it based on hearsay. Even Daniel Rubino gave it high marks here on WC.

Ativ SE looks, feels, and performs like a generic Galaxy S4, and it came out AFTER the S5. Less features, nothing particularly noteworthy... I tried the phone for a bit, and there's no way I'd consider it over the ICON.

If the SE were Android based it would have no following.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ativ SE looks, feels, and performs like a generic Galaxy S4, and it came out AFTER the S5. Less features, nothing particularly noteworthy... I tried the phone for a bit, and there's no way I'd consider it over the ICON.

If the SE were Android based it would have no following.

1. Removable Battery.
  2. External Storage.
  3. IR Blaster.
  4. Faster Camera.

That's four hardware features the Icon cannot match. Comparisons to Android devices would be even more unfavorable with Nokia devices so that's a non-factor. What exactly does the Lumia possess over the SE? Looks are subjective so let's keep that out.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
  1. Removable Battery.
  2. External Storage.
  3. IR Blaster.
  4. Faster Camera.

That's four hardware features the Icon cannot match. Comparisons to Android devices would be even more unfavorable with Nokia devices so that's a non-factor. What exactly does the Lumia possess over the SE? Looks are subjective so let's keep that out.

1.20 megapixel camera with Dual led flash, and OIS
2.super sensitive touch
3.Qi wireless charging
4.SE has expandable storage but ICON has more already built in, 32gb
5.4k recording & dynamic flash
6.hey Cortana activation
7. More microphones for Dolby surround sound recording

Also Lumia Camera 5 with Denim are supposed to make the camera fast

Here's a whole thread about this
http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-se/272735-nokia-lumia-icon-vs-samsung-ativ-se.html

Just some things off the top of my head :)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
  1. Removable Battery.
  2. External Storage.
  3. IR Blaster.
  4. Faster Camera.

When people think of Windows Phone they think of Lumia. They may not compare favorably, however, they stand out amongst the white label and off shoot devices that plague the ecosystem.

External storage is not unique to Samsung, neither is removable battery nor "faster" camera.

IR blaster is rare these days, especially on Windows Phone. I prefer my logitech universal remote but I guess that's just me.

jz78817

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it's better on Verizon, but the ATIV S Neo I have on Sprint has basically been abandoned. No 8.1 w/o the Developer preview, and I haven't had any further updates in months.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When people think of Windows Phone they think of Lumia. They may not compare favorably, however, they stand out amongst the white label and off shoot devices that plague the ecosystem.

External storage is not unique to Samsung, neither is removable battery nor "faster" camera.

IR blaster is rare these days, especially on Windows Phone. I prefer my logitech universal remote but I guess that's just me.

HTC, Samsung, LG and Dell were onboard long before Nokia. I certainly don't consider them as white (private) labels. Samsung released the first WP7 devices, the first 7.5 (Mango) devices and the first WP8 devices. Currently, there are 3 major OEMs producing Windows Phones and 2 of the 3 have IR blasters, what's rare about that? If the public doesn't want to recognize that there are options for WP handsets, that's their problem. It's that "When people think of Windows Phone they think of Lumia" attitude that contributes to the stagnant growth of WP. Who can blame any of the other OEMs for not wanting to dedicate any effort into releasing handsets when they're behind the proverbial 8-ball. Samsung and LG are doing quite well with their Android phones so it's not like the brands are not well-received. The Galaxy S4 sold very well but the minute it morphed into a WP, all of a sudden it's a blah device that offers nothing. Gotta love that logic.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
As the ICON has its notorious bugs

My ICON runs perfectly fine, so the bugs affect only certain handsets.

Back to the OP's question, even the older 928 and 822 are cheap alternatives since it sounds like a WP is not your daily carry phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb