The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This isn't meant to be a bitc* session or a never ending rant about how WP sucks cuz it doesn't have xxxxx.

It's simply meant to be a running list of things that bug me about WP. Mostly these are features that are lacking, or work in a terrible way. No justification necessary. Maybe others can join in.

I'll start:

1. No Haptic feedback available for keyboard input.

2. The "send" icon will not work (even though it's highlighted) until you tap the screen to make the KB disappear.

3. You can't have Bing as your wallpaper AND Glance screen.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I'll post mine.
1. WP can't fix my coffee for me in the morning when I'm too tired to do it myself.
2. Cortana, as cute as she sounds, just isn't a good snuggler and does nothing to help you keep warm in bed.

Maybe Windows 10 will fix it.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad we don't have Haptic feedback on the keyboard. Every time I use my wife's phone it makes my hands feel funny.
The main thing I don't like about WP is that it doesn't continually vibrate while ringing.

Last edited:

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad we don't have Haptic feedback on the keyboard. Every time I use my wife's phone it makes my hands feel funny.
The main thing I don't like about WP is that it doesn't vibrate while ringing.

I second your opinion about haptic feedback, i used to keep it off on android too.

I had problems with notification but it will be solved soon.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So many of my swipes are mistakened for taps. I don't know of that's a hardware, software, or firmware problem, but Aul never responds whenever I ask him about it on twitter. It's so annoying.. And I know its some sort of bug because it never does it when I use my iphone.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
So many of my swipes are mistakened for taps. I don't know of that's a hardware, software, or firmware problem, but Aul never responds whenever I ask him about it on twitter. It's so annoying.. And I know its some sort of bug because it never does it when I use my iphone.

Happens to me a lot too. For me, I think it comes down to a dirty screen where my fingers weren't sliding across it well enough. Most of the time wiping the screen helps, if not solves it...but i know what you mean..

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
1) When I swipe up to close the action center, it brings the software buttons back up, as well. Darn it, I wanna keep the software buttons hidden! Only way to keep the software buttons hidden during this process is if you hold your thumb down on the accented action center bar, and wait until it lights up a little. But that's inconvenient haha.

2) Live Tiles still aren't completely perfect. Not a whole lot of apps utilize it well. And there aren't enough live tile animations to keep the live tiles interesting.

3) In landscape mode, the keyboard doesn't span the length of the device. Very easy to accidentally hit "send".

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
1) Annoying "Loading" and "Resuming" screen. For example, I could be composing a tweet about something I'm reading on IE but I wanted to glance at IE, while on Twitter (or any other Twitter app I'm using ATM) I press and hold the back button, swipe to IE (but not calling it up) then swipe back to Twitter and even though I actually didn't leave Twitter, the "Resuming" screen comes on! Sometimes lasting as long as 5-7 seconds. Meanwhile, has anyone noticed that Opera Mini does not resume? And you always get the exact page where you left off when you reopen the app even though it's been days since last use? It doesn't reload your page like IE does on opening (that that lying progress bar)

2) Windows Phone DOES NOT multitask.

3) Back up rarely works.

4) *someone has mentioned this* Executing swipes as taps

5) When I swipe down half from top to reveal just the action centre and maybe I change my mind and want to see my notifications, swiping down further does not work most times. Sometimes requires several attempts or just starting all over before it works.

I have more on list of things that bugs me about WP but I'll stop at this. I just wish these little annoying things are fixed cos I really love WP. Can't imagine switching to another OS.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Xbox Music app.

It still missing the fast and fluidity of when it was on WP8.

And quality of other MS apps which are built in OS and you can't uninstall it.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
You'd be amazed but most iOS devices can really only have about one tab open in Safari, and switching tabs forces the previous page to be reloaded.

Instead of the resuming screen (which I cant say I see a lot of), iOS apps flat out stop and you have to wait for the whole app to re load from scratch. I've had this on my 4S, and my iPad. $600 equipment rendered useless. Try copying text from Safari into OneNote. Absolute hell. I've never had to deal with that on Windows Phone thank god. I'll take the resuming screen any day.

What drives me bonkers in WP is OneNote. I love OneNote so much and the app on wp8.1 is so barebones. It is always open instantly though so I cant complain too much. I wish you could pin notebooks to the start screen like the tablet app.

Background Downloading in IE and other download apps. It doesn't exist and it means you have to stay on the download page before the task completes. You also can't open tabs in the background on IE which is stupid.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
More volume options. I'm glad we finally got split music/ringer settings but it's not enough. For instance, a muted game doesn't prevent achievement notifications from popping up at the ringer volume.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
...What drives me bonkers in WP is OneNote. I love OneNote so much and the app on wp8.1 is so barebones. It is always open instantly though so I cant complain too much. I wish you could pin notebooks to the start screen like the tablet app.

Agreed.

I've taken to using Evernote mostly now. It's simply a better app.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: SWIPES registered as TAPS:

Try turning the touch sensitivity to normal. It's default setting is high

Settings > Extras > Touch > Sensitivity > Normal

Last edited:

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Not much for me,

1. 3rd party camera apps are not allowed to be set as the default camera app.
2. Still no OpenVPN support.
3. Capacitive buttons do not dim or turn off when watching or playing games. Although they were onscreen buttons the Lumia 630 was the worst I've experienced, you couldn't turn them off or slide them away.
4. USB OTG support would be awesome.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There is NO complete backup and Application backup is almost worthless as developers need to change something in their app to allow them to be backed up.

That means 95% of the games and apps that don't get updated will never see this. The other day, I installed WIn 10 by mistake (long story) and it completely screwed up my phone, I reinstalled 8.1 and restored, out of my 65 or so apps, not one restored it's settings. Completely worthless.

Wish Microsoft allowed app backup by choice, so I can pick a max of like 20 apps that can be backed up. So my most important ones, I can CHOSE to have them backup....

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: SWIPES registered as TAPS:

Try turning the touch sensitivity to normal. It's default setting is high

Settings > Extras > Touch > Sensitivity > Normal

I've always had the touch sensitivity set to normal ever since. Same thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DynamicWin