The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
1) Annoying "Loading" and "Resuming" screen. For example, I could be composing a tweet about something I'm reading on IE but I wanted to glance at IE, while on Twitter (or any other Twitter app I'm using ATM) I press and hold the back button, swipe to IE (but not calling it up) then swipe back to Twitter and even though I actually didn't leave Twitter, the "Resuming" screen comes on! Sometimes lasting as long as 5-7 seconds. Meanwhile, has anyone noticed that Opera Mini does not resume? And you always get the exact page where you left off when you reopen the app even though it's been days since last use? It doesn't reload your page like IE does on opening (that that lying progress bar)

2) Windows Phone DOES NOT multitask.

3) Back up rarely works.

4) *someone has mentioned this* Executing swipes as taps

5) When I swipe down half from top to reveal just the action centre and maybe I change my mind and want to see my notifications, swiping down further does not work most times. Sometimes requires several attempts or just starting all over before it works.

I have more on list of things that bugs me about WP but I'll stop at this. I just wish these little annoying things are fixed cos I really love WP. Can't imagine switching to another OS.

1.) Rarely happens on lumia 830 denim, GDR 2. I used to get it on my 520 all the time. It seems there are certain scenarios that will cause it but not sure which scenarios those are.

4.) Weird I have never had that happen on my lumia 830.

5.) I just tried it and you're right. The only way it will work is if you swipe down right where the little white dash is. That's odd.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with you! User feedback is mostly responsible for these annoying things we face.

Not really. User feedback is responsible for how Windows 10 is going. And Windows 10 fixes all of the scenarios people are upset about. It can't however fix using an old outdated 512mb phone. I mean seriously? 512mb of ram? I have the 520 and the 830 the experience is completely different. The 830 doesn't even have that much more processing power but has the extra ram. I never expected my old PC with an old school nvidia card to play Crysis 3 well. I had to upgrade my computer to run it. Technology becomes obsolete rapidly and this is something people have to accept.

Now I know Microsoft doesn't offer anything high end and that's actually available anywhere so that should be the biggest problem people have, not complaining about an operating system that is about to become obsolete. They can make Windows 10 glorious, but who cares if only verizon has the only phone they release and the rest of the world doesn't even know these phones exist.

Windows 10 seems to be about options and lots of customizing. This way they can cater to any type of crowd.

Initially I didn't like the background image with transparent tiles but I must say with this recent release it looks pretty nice. I use my 520 for Windows 10 and it's kind of slow, but man project spartan loads webpages rapidly. It's insane. Way faster than my 830 does in IE.

oxe23

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
  • sms confirmation in separate thread
  • email drafts not synced to outlook.com
  • placing cursor where you want it can be tricky
  • loading bar in iexplorer get's stuck at 90%
  • sometimes unable to see the right part of an email
  • loss of data when migrating to a new phone (e.g. whatsapp)
  • photo details (date, time, gps) not shown in photo app
  • calender app forgetting to remind me on birthdays

Alyeldiin

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I'd say most of my complaints will be resolved when Windows 10 comes out. And the lack of apps, hopefully Windows 10 will have that sorted out too.

There's also the lack of background downloading (not sure if it'll be in Win10) - But with all that, I am really glad I chose to buy a Windows Phone over Android one year ago.

Snooty

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It takes forever to backup

No kidding! I have been doing a backup for a near hour and it has been sitting at like 49% for so long. It will probably suddenly jump up to 99% and then be done. I wish the progress bar was more detailed. Like telling me what exactly is being backed up at the time.

icemint

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Never heard of such features on any other phone.

Again, never heard of such features on any other phone. I think continuum on W10 will be some kind of dual screen.

I don't think there's any music app where you can stop the music (CMIIW), most of them just pause, and you can do that in volume controls.
1.My LG G3 has dual screen capabilty, same as the Note 4.

2. I believe he/she wanna say is that there is no stop button to clear the queue/now playing list.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
1. Backup doesn't function at all (on my phone).
2. Multitasking (e.g. updating here maps while being on other apps)
2.5 open a pdf, rotate to widescreen. after unlocking your phone the rotation is different, though your
phone stays at widescreen mode
3. Music App
3.5 when you play an mp3, then play a youtube video, the phone doesnt remember where the music left (not even track, album etc.)
4. Resuming
5. IE (Loading Bar, White Spaces when you zoom etc.)
6. Live Tiles
7. accent colors should be presented more (the volume color of wp8 was great)
8. if you updated an app and click in the notification center on it, it doesn't go to the updated/last installed apps list
9. Keyboard (size, "wastespace" & autocorrect)
10. camera snapshot quality & features (look at a comparison on gsmarena with, for example galaxy s6)

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
1. No proper share intent ( ex : cant share images to whatsapp directly from gallery )
2. No proper background agent ( ex : affect downloading in background )
3. No "Open With" function ( ex : can't choose default app when opening file from file manager )
4. Can't create Wifi Portable Hotspot without 3G connection turned ON ( Android can do it without connecting to 3G )
5. No proper call recording option
6. No individual control for Music apps ( All of em use the System Music Agent )
7. Apps can't draw on screen ( ex : FB messenger can't work like that moving bubble )

Will be edited with more later

Viktar H

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
1. Dumbest decision of all times: Quiet hours tied to Cortana (100+ languages and 100+ countries that will never get Cortana are left in the cold)
2. Music experience degradation form version to version 7.5-8.0, 8.0-8.1
3. Features fragmentation from screen size ( I want to have some phablet ajustments on 5" device )
4. Windows Media Player sync not working correctly with Windows phone, WMP-synced playlists just disappear after reboot.
5 Windows Phone cant access network shares on Windows PC's natively.
5 No vibrate+ring option on Lumias when OS actually supports it.
5 No way to know where did SMS came from (I was once sending 5 smss to a contact with 5 numbers)
6 No way to reply to a mail with attachment other then image, when you actually can send such attachments.
7 Disastrous syncing apps like WP Desktop App with no option to autodelete synced photos and SLOW at work.
8 Small but really dumb - flashlight cannot work in background

Last edited:

Ron Vin

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I see many of you have an extended list but couldn`t read all posts but looks like nobody mentioned some really frustrating things like:
1. This is the most annoying for me, WHY oh WHY is the call menu disappearing in the middle of a conversation and shows me the latest calls list. Why crap why??????
2. Why on earth I cannot select text to copy in an SMS only the entire message?
3. Why hyperlinks are not highlighted in an sms automatically
4. Why live tiles when tapped never take you to the actual photo/newsflash/function/situation shown?
5. Why Cortana is region dependent? I want the US version and only that I don`t want the chinese or Indian version not even freaking british.
6. Why no vibrate+ring when I set it to do so?
7. Why only one type of tile fly-out

There would be more. I am ******** over a Lumia 930 "The Flagship" device my a**

ctown25

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
The settings menu. Good luck trying to find anything in there. Also the phone doesn't stay off when it is charging, but at the same time it boots to the lockscreen faster than any phone I've ever seen.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
<<No PC software where we can backup our phones (like iTunes)>>
The answer to this: Connect your phone to a PC and copy the half dozen folders allowed by Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)