Rules from Outlook (PC) to Windows Phone?

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if I can somehow copy/sync the rules I have set up for my mail account in Outlook, to my Lumia 1020 with WP 8.1?

I have set it up so that most ads go straight to the Ads folder, and I kinda would like that on my phone too, so they do not to show up on my phone, but maybe go straight to some folder on the phone that does not list them as new emails?

I use IMAP on my phone and pop3 on my PC, so that I will get anything on my PC (archive).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
On the phone you can choose to sync specific folders, however you cannot un-sync the inbox, out box or sent items (they are mandatory). This is what I have set up for Windows Central mail - I have rules set up on outlook.com so all the Windows Central Mail goes to a folder, that folder is pinned to my start screen. As Outlook.com email accounts supports native push on Windows Phone e-mails get pushed to my phone.

So to sync a folder:

• Go to your email account via the tile or the app list
  • Ellipses menu (the three dots at the bottom right hand side, you can also tap the same region on the bottom left hand side) and choose folders, this will show you the folder tree.
  • Find the folder you want
  • Open it, either tap "sync this folder" at the top, "sync" on the app bar or "sync this folder" in the ellipsis menu
  • You can pin to start via "pin to start" in the ellipsis menu or long pressing the folder in the folder tree

As far as I'm aware currently the Outlook (win32 app) does not sync rules over the web however the modern app most likely will do.

I would recommend using IMAP on your PC as well as if emails download to your PC you won't get a copy on your phone. Unless you have set it up to forward copy emails to another email address - which is then tied to your phone.

Or do you have limited space on the email service you are using?

Last edited:

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend using IMAP on your PC as well as if emails download to your PC you won't get a copy on your phone. Unless you have set it up to forward copy emails to another email address - which is then tied to your phone.

Or do you have limited space on the email service you are using?

Nope space is unlimited (gmail.com/outlook.com), but one of my email accounts was compromised before, so I'd like the idea of having IMAP on my phone so if I'm not at home, I can get my emails and them staying on the "email servers". When I'm at home I use Outlook to "download and delete" from the server (via pop3). I feel much more comforable knowing there is no information (banking/emails/usernames/passwords/orders/...) on the actual email servers in case something happens again.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope space is unlimited (gmail.com/outlook.com), but one of my email accounts was compromised before, so I'd like the idea of having IMAP on my phone so if I'm not at home, I can get my emails and them staying on the "email servers". When I'm at home I use Outlook to "download and delete" from the server (via pop3). I feel much more comforable knowing there is no information (banking/emails/usernames/passwords/orders/...) on the actual email servers in case something happens again.

Ah, I see fair enough and completely understandable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans