Microsoft Camera vs Lumia Camera - Which is better?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Which Lumia Camera? There's fifty thousand of them and the latest and best version still isn't supported on a huge number of devices. It leads to a jumbled experience where no one really knows what Lumia Camera they should be using.
Additionally, I'm using the device that "launched" Lumia Denim and in extension Lumia Camera 5.0 yet I have to use Lumia Camera Classic.

Let's say 5.0 is what you're talking about. It's basically superior to Microsoft Camera in every way except support. Features, UI, performance, etc. That being said, this could potentially change. There's a good chance (as it just makes sense) that Microsoft will get rid of either Lumia or Microsoft Camera and only have one available. This will likely happen with Windows 10. If Microsoft is smart they'll unify Lumia Camera into one, single app and possibly rename it to Microsoft Camera (if they deem fit). To be frank, I'm no expert on Windows 10 Mobile as it stands right now so there's a chance they've done this already, I don't know. Just my opinions.
Lumia Camera is superior, but it's a cluttered mess. Hopefully Windows 10 Mobile will fix a lot of issues.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
if you have time to play with the dials, Lumia Camera is better than MS Camera. But for quick snap, I would use MS Camera. Why? Because I can save my preffered setting, open & shoot quick when i need to. On my Lumia 640 I put MS Camera as default in the action centre dropbar. If I put Lumia Camera as default for quick snap, the Auto Mode on it (for now) always give me washed-out outdoor photos (until microsoft fix this on Lumia 640). For quick handheld night shot, I use MS Camera set to Night Scene mode....it gives better result than Lumia Camera in Auto Mode. Unless you wanna play with the dials, it gonna produce way better results than MS Camera.

So, it depends. Experiment both & see which give advantages to you.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Lumia camera is better all round for crystal clear photos but.. The preloaded Microsoft camera app can zoom in further then Lumia camera.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
on auto mode, I'm not sure if there's a difference.

MS Camera is speedier than the old Lumia Camera.

I don't know about LC5 as I've never spent a significant amount of time with it.

Lumia Camera in either iteration has manual controls.

MS camera is nice in that I can swipe to get to the camera roll easily.

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I use both of them.....mostly microsoft camera because its startups quickly and take shot quickly...if I have more time then I play with Lumia camera settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss