Hard reset after phone update?

ozziegt

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I got a phone update yesterday on my Lumia 920, saying it was to fix some critical issue which could cause phones to reboot. I installed it. Well this morning my 2 year old was playing with my phone and somehow it got hard reset. Lost 3 years of photos and videos. I'm really bummed and now I don't trust my phone...have there been any other reports of something like this happening?

I don't think my son did it. He was in kid's corner and I don't think his little hands can do the button combination to perform a hard reset.

ozziegt

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No I didn't have OneDrive sync set up. Value my privacy too much. Fortunately I am into photography so I have plenty of photos and stuff on my regular camera and my wife takes a lot more photos and videos on her phone than I do. I'm still pretty salty about it though.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dude... 3 years worth of pics and vidz. You never backed them up anywhere?

Sorry for your loss, but... Just ouch...

Kids LOVE buttons. Your child may have reset your phone. Occam's Razor and all that. I mean it is a simple series, probably not that hard to do with a 3 year old's small hands struggling to hold the device combined with the natural precociousness of the age.

I'm not sure who you worry about snooping at your OneDrive??? It's not web searchable and shows in no random search results. No one sees it unless you invite them in.

Again, I'm sorry to hear you lost so much data, but I'm pretty sure you could have defended against it in many ways.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm ashamed to say that little kid me would delete and erase things more than I'd like to admit. Especially game saves.

But the moral of the story here is to back up the phone! Sorry to hear but back up your things next time. Even if it hasn't erased then, phones don't last forever.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I keep hearing people say they are worried about cloud "privacy". Aren't things like email cloud based? I am showing my ignorance here about computers. Comfortable with phone usage but not very savvy about computers.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing people say they are worried about cloud "privacy". Aren't things like email cloud based? I am showing my ignorance here about computers. Comfortable with phone usage but not very savvy about computers.

You are 100% correct, Mary Beth. Email is a cloud service and more valuable to hackers then your pictures of little Timmie's first steps.

I think the iOS celebrity nudies hack scared a lot of people. I rest assured that 1) I have no such titillating pics in the cloud and 2) no one wants to see them anyway as I'm not a celebrity.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You are 100% correct, Mary Beth. Email is a cloud service and more valuable to hackers then your pictures of little Timmie's first steps.

I think the iOS celebrity nudies hack scared a lot of people. I rest assured that 1) I have no such titillating pics in the cloud and 2) no one wants to see them anyway as I'm not a celebrity.
If someone wants to hack my email and OneDrive they will get a snooze fest

coldfilter

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize you could hard reset the 920 by using the external buttons.
I get where your coming from with your worries over one drive security! That said its ridiculously easy to transfer photos and videos from your phone to a computer

coldfilter

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Some people are nervous about using cloud based services for back up , because they mistakenly believe it is an unsafe and insecure method of storage! Mainly in part due to a lack of knowledge on how the "cloud" functions, and the media HuHa resulting from Wikileaks and the PlayStation and icloud amongst others hacking scandals.
It was in this context that I thought the OPs concerns are understandable. Nowhere did I state that they were justifiable

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
When using cloud storage services, ensure that your account password is secure and unique among all your other passwords, and use two-factor authentication whenever possible (and it is possible with an MS OneDrive account). Don't let your browser(s) save your password just to make it half-a-second faster to log into your account. And if you are not famous+gorgeous, worry more about the copies of the nekkid photos that you sent to your sweetie than the ones you saved to the cloud...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I just have no sympathy for you OP. You had two methods open to you to back up those photos and videos, one of which is completely automatic, and you chose not to use any of them.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well that should teach you a stark lesson, albeit a rather painful one.

If you take a lot of pictures and videos, do this - once a week charge your phone via your laptop or computer.

The idea here is simple, if your charging your phone via such a method it is much easier to copy all the data off your phone and back it up. Also you can still take calls when doing that - use a long usb cable, bluetooth handsfree or loud speaker.

Personally, I would suggest moving all the data as a) you free up space b) you don't end up duplicates unless you manually move files over - for office work use onedrive to sync.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos