Why am I getting no data signal with my Icon after rolling back to 8.1 from 10?

trippster08

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Why am I getting no data signal with my Icon after rolling back to 8.1 from 10

I have a Verizon Icon that I am currently using on Straight Talk. It was working perfectly (Data, including LTE, MMS, everything) until I tried updating to the latest Windows 10 version (10149). After a Hard Reset, everything seemed to work okay, except that I no longer had any data signal (with space next to the "cellular" signal bars was blank). Wifi worked, but no "cellular" data. So, I rolled back to 8.1, and now I still have no data signal. The main difference now is that the space next to the "cellular" signal bars now say that I am receiving LTE data, but no programs (or the phones system) are able to access the internet. I haven't yet re-signed on for Preview for Developers, so I am currently on version 8.10.14219.341, but I don't think I had been using a higher version of 8.1 prior to upgrading to 10, when everything worked.
I'm sorry for posting this to the general forum, but my problem includes windows 8.1, windows 10, and my Lumia Icon, so I wasn't sure the most appropriate forum.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: Why am I getting no data signal with my Icon after rolling back to 8.1 from 10

Sometimes the simple things work, you'd be surprised.
Try removing your SIM card, resetting your phone, inserting the SIM card again, then reset your phone again. Not a hard reset, just a soft reset.

trippster08

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, soft resetting (with the SIM in, out, and every combination I could think of) did not fix the problem. Neither did hard resetting (whether with subsequent loading of saved profiles (recent or old) or starting from scratch. I don't know if something happened to the verizon sim, either coincidentally with loading 10 or somehow because of it, so I will try ordering a new card.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, soft resetting (with the SIM in, out, and every combination I could think of) did not fix the problem. Neither did hard resetting (whether with subsequent loading of saved profiles (recent or old) or starting from scratch. I don't know if something happened to the verizon sim, either coincidentally with loading 10 or somehow because of it, so I will try ordering a new card.

I've had this same issue several times with my Icon. Sadly, I think it is just an Icon problem. My data went without working for 2 days. One day, I just went and deleted my backups and then my data started randomly working again. The other times it started working were completely random factors of stuff I just happened to do as well. I wish I knew what caused this but I have no clue. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with damage after installing Windows 10 but I wonder if that may be what caused it (as I never had that problem until I installed Windows 10 and then reverted back). This has happened to me a total of 3 times now (within the past 6 months of Windows Recovery Tool/hard resets, etc).

BTW, I have the exact same setup as you: Lumia Icon running Straight Talk Verizon LTE. Luckily, I had a spare Verizon LTE SIM from Straight Talk. I swapped my profiles over to that one from the Straight Talk website and.....still didn't fix it. Again, the only time it started working is when I deleted my backups from the "backup" setting. After that, data just "magically" worked...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So, I think I found a solution that seems to work *consistently*. Unfortunately, it requires a 2nd Straight Talk SIM card. Now, I don't know if this HAS to be the Verizon SIM (since the Icon works with AT&T because I used it before on it), but I'm using my example of having a spare Straight Talk Verizon LTE SIM...

What I did was go to straighttalk.com, sign in, and then activated my spare SIM card. I did that, turned off my phone, and swapped SIMs. I waited 1 minute, turned my phone on, and saw I only had 3G but internet was working. I waited a little while and then LTE appeared, so if you end up getting internet and no LTE just be patient. I just did this this morning (after using software recovery tool 1 day before and trying to allow the data to come back on its own, to no avail) so I know it still works.

What I think is happening (and I haven't tried this but I'm not going to do it again unless I have to) is somewhere during the Win10 install, the modem/LTE/whatever gets partially bricked (or something messes up). When we try to use the Recovery Tool (Lumia Software Recovery Tool does the same), it either wipes SIM "data" or does something to the SIM. The only time this problem started happening to me was after I accidentally let Win10 install on my Icon.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why am I getting no data signal with my Icon after rolling back to 8.1 from 10

That's weird.. I have a icon on St Verizon lte. I installed build 149 had no service at all. Went into apn settings and selected default provider and everything started working flawless. Upgraded directly to build 166 with no further issues.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

That's weird.. I have a icon on St Verizon lte. I installed build 149 had no service at all. Went into apn settings and selected default provider and everything started working flawless. Upgraded directly to build 166 with no further issues.

I haven't tried Win10 on my Icon recently (really want to so bad since it is working well on my 635), but I think the build I tried was the one before 10149. I used it and internet worked fine. It was too buggy so I used to the Recovery Tool to go back to 8.1 and that's when the problems started...

The other thing too is that Verizon LTE SIMs shouldn't have to have APN settings entered manually (since it is a Verizon phone registering to Verizon service).

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

I haven't tried Win10 on my Icon recently (really want to so bad since it is working well on my 635), but I think the build I tried was the one before 10149. I used it and internet worked fine. It was too buggy so I used to the Recovery Tool to go back to 8.1 and that's when the problems started...

The other thing too is that Verizon LTE SIMs shouldn't have to have APN settings entered manually (since it is a Verizon phone registering to Verizon service).

There is one apn setting for data "vzwinternet"

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

There is one apn setting for data "vzwinternet"

Can you send me a screenshot? On 8.1, the only option I have is Celluar+SIM -> SIM settings -> Mode selection and Cellular Connection Profile.

Under mode selection, I see "Global mode", "LTE and CDMA", "LTE, GSM, or UMTS". Under "Celluar connection profile" I only have one option called "Verizon 311 480".

Again, this is 8.1

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

Can you send me a screenshot? On 8.1, the only option I have is Celluar+SIM -> SIM settings -> Mode selection and Cellular Connection Profile.

Under mode selection, I see "Global mode", "LTE and CDMA", "LTE, GSM, or UMTS". Under "Celluar connection profile" I only have one option called "Verizon 311 480".

Again, this is 8.1

As I am on win10 166 I cannot send u a screenshot for 8.1 however I can assure you when I was on 8.1 denim for icon I was 2 days late re upping my St payment. I re upped and had no data. I was assisted by St on live chat to create a new apn vzwinternet for data.. The information is also searchable in google for that apn setting.. Lol 166 is working too good for me to roll back and take a screenshot can't do that lol.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

As I am on win10 166 I cannot send u a screenshot for 8.1 however I can assure you when I was on 8.1 denim for icon I was 2 days late re upping my St payment. I re upped and had no data. I was assisted by St on live chat to create a new apn vzwinternet for data.. The information is also searchable in google for that apn setting.. Lol 166 is working too good for me to roll back and take a screenshot can't do that lol.

Thanks, you just made it that much harder for me to resist putting 1066 on my Icon lol. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because everytime I use the Recovery Tool this issue happens. If you mean APN settings, I have never tried use "vzwinternet" in the data settings. I've only tried "tfdata", the same you use for AT&T.

trippster08

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Thank you all for your replies. I decided to go back to Win10 (10166) for the moment. I ordered a new ST Verizon LTE SIM, and will probably go back to 8.1 before activating it. However, in the meantime, I tried making a new Internet APN with vzwinternet as the APN, and it worked, for about 45 seconds. I get a solid triangle at the top of the screen (where it usually says LTE or 3G) and I can connect to the internet. After 30-60 seconds, the triangle goes away, and no more data. Every time I change back to vzwinternet from the default APN (after resetting), this happens. Strange. For now, I'll just wait for my new SIM

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Thank you all for your replies. I decided to go back to Win10 (10166) for the moment. I ordered a new ST Verizon LTE SIM, and will probably go back to 8.1 before activating it. However, in the meantime, I tried making a new Internet APN with vzwinternet as the APN, and it worked, for about 45 seconds. I get a solid triangle at the top of the screen (where it usually says LTE or 3G) and I can connect to the internet. After 30-60 seconds, the triangle goes away, and no more data. Every time I change back to vzwinternet from the default APN (after resetting), this happens. Strange. For now, I'll just wait for my new SIM

Strange, I tried to add an vzwinternet APN as well and that didn't work for me. The only thing that has worked for me was activating different SIM cards on Straight Talk website. Glad you found something working. I actually installed 10166 on my Icon, but I lost data and couldn't get it back. I didn't have time to swap SIM cards and that whole process so I ended up going back to 8.1 (plus I hear reports of bad battery life). Sure enough, no data was working until I did the SIM card activation trick. I wish I could just get a new Icon, as I think something is bricked in this one.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Verizon LTE on Straight Talk.
Ok well I finally hard reset my icon on this lastest phone build 512... had no data like everyone else.... I created APN "vzwinternet" like I suggested earlier and set it to default apn and still no data... I hit up ST on live support chat told them I had to reset my phone and I could make calls and text but had no data and was told to hold while they refreshed my account. I was then told to turn off my phone then turn it back on... walla I have data.... Luck to everyone and I hope this helps everyone wanting to try the 10 preview...

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon LTE on Straight Talk.
Ok well I finally hard reset my icon on this lastest phone build 512... had no data like everyone else.... I created APN "vzwinternet" like I suggested earlier and set it to default apn and still no data... I hit up ST on live support chat told them I had to reset my phone and I could make calls and text but had no data and was told to hold while they refreshed my account. I was then told to turn off my phone then turn it back on... walla I have data.... Luck to everyone and I hope this helps everyone wanting to try the 10 preview...

Dunno if I've said it here before, but the only way it works for me is when I switch my profile back to my other SIM card through the ST website. When I do that, turn phone off, switch the SIMs out, data returns.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
That's weird.. I had this happen hard resetting 8.1 to prepare to install build 149 and hard resetting build 512. both times creating apn vzwinternet and chatting with ST rep on live chat resolved my problem with data. I even told them when I reset 512 I was running W10m preview. no hassels create APN then they "refreshed" my account. Turn phone off then on and have data...

Maybe I'm just lucky... ;)

trippster08

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
So, finally, I called StraightTalk, they sent an update to my phone, I restarted it, and voila...data, similar to Charles Brown8, except not over live chat. I'm currently running Windows 10 (512) with the default APN (not vzwinternet) and everything works. Thanks everyone for your time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786