Sharing photos that are enhanced by photo albums not maintaining enhancement. Why?

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
The photos app looks like when scrolling between pictures that it is updating the picture to its max potential, like there was a 1 second video recorded and it is stitching the picture together from it. That's what it looks like it is doing, and its something new I hadn't seen before a fee months ago. The end photo always looks literally fantastic! But anytime I put it in the computer, share it via messages, put it on 6tag etc, that final photo that the photos app or photos section for the camera app enhanced is no longer enhanced? I want everytime the photos app enhances a photo for it to be the finalized sharable version. How do I make this possible? It's getting really frustrating. Especially frustrating since the pictures look so awesome when enhanced like this, then they don't look good when I share them.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, what phone are you using?

If you're using one of those Windows Phones with PureView technology, such as the L1520 and L1020, the phone saves two versions of the same photo but with different resolutions after a photo is taken - a full resolution (depending on your phone; in the L1020 this is either 34MP or 38MP) and a lower resolution image (5MP). The Windows Phone Photo Hub automatically combines these two when you examine the details in the photos, i.e. by zooming in.

However, the high resolution photos aren't normally shareable. For instance, no matter how high resolution the image I take using my L1020 are, once I put them on Instagram using the Instagram BETA app, the resolution gets automatically lowered. This is done usually to preserve band width and prevent excessive data use. Another example is the fact that some websites do not allow me to upload the full resolution images from my L1020 (although some professional photography sites allow this).

If you're using such a phone, you should be able to see both a .jpg and a __highres.jpg image in your Phone Camera Roll - you're looking for the high resolution version.

If you're not using such a phone, please elaborate on what kind of "max potential" or "enhancement" you are referring to.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Lumia Icon which has pureview. Previously when viewing a picture in the photos hub my photos would just appear and would be fine, now when I take pictures it takes a second and you see a stitching together if what looks like multiple shots or a small video clip then it comes up with the best picture it can. That one final picture looks awesome. No matter how I try to share it or export it out of my phone, it never looks like the image it stitched together in ny photos hub. It's not a matter of social networks downsizing or compressing, it's a matter of the photos never sharing or exporting the same way they look when viewing them in the photos hub. I only see one image at a time in the hub, not two images. It's very simple what I want, I want to be able to export or share that finalized version of the photo because it always looks fantastic, but when I try, it doesn't share that version of the photo, it doesn't look the same.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Lumia Icon which has pureview. Previously when viewing a picture in the photos hub my photos would just appear and would be fine, now when I take pictures it takes a second and you see a stitching together if what looks like multiple shots or a small video clip then it comes up with the best picture it can. That one final picture looks awesome. No matter how I try to share it or export it out of my phone, it never looks like the image it stitched together in ny photos hub. It's not a matter of social networks downsizing or compressing, it's a matter of the photos never sharing or exporting the same way they look when viewing them in the photos hub. I only see one image at a time in the hub, not two images. It's very simple what I want, I want to be able to export or share that finalized version of the photo because it always looks fantastic, but when I try, it doesn't share that version of the photo, it doesn't look the same.

Oh. Could it be that you're referring to the Living Images feature? It appears as a shot video displayed before the actual photo - it's actually a short video taken before the shutter is pressed.

You can view those "short videos" but you'll have to do some extra "work":
1. connect your phone to your PC and go to your Phone > Pictures > Camera Roll. You should find files that have a "_Pro.mp4.thm" extension.
2. Copy those files to your PC.
3. Once they're in your PC, rename those files into just "_Pro.mp4" by deleting the ".thm" - you're basically taking an un-recognized file and changing the file format to a recognized format (i.e. from ".thm" to ".mp4").

Note that you should have enabled the viewing of file extensions in your Folder Options in your PC for this to be possible. Also note that while this works, this will not always work for all other files, e.g. you can't convert a .txt file to a .mp3 file and have a working audio file.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm specifically talking about the image that results from that short video. Every single image that I take appears as a few millisecond video when looking through them and ends up as one final shot. That photo looks great, but when I export it, it never looks the same.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I see. But have you tried copying those images from your phone by connecting it to your PC with a cable? Do not "share" or "export" the photos from your phone; use your PC to copy the photos from your phone. Copy both the normal and the high resolution versions of the same image.

Alternatively, here's something you can try: view whatever image while it looks "great" then take a screen shot of it. Compare the screenshot of that image with the original version of the image - do they look the same? Now copy both the original and the screenshot to your PC - do they still look the same? Then share those two images here in Windows Central for all to see - this would be useful so we could "see" what you're describing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Export methods generally do not retain full quality. If I email myself a 5MP photo I get a 500kb file or smaller. Exporting off the phone via email, MMS, Messenger Apps, Social Media... All of these typically reduce file size to save data. This degrades the picture.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's stupid. I should be able to export straight to Instagram these photos because they look incredible.

That's on the Instagram App Dev.

Every time there is a reduction it is in the name of saving data or bandwidth or server space...

Instagram should be full file size, sure. I don't use the service. Do they do the same to Android and iPhone???

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's on the Instagram App Dev.

Every time there is a reduction it is in the name of saving data or bandwidth or server space...

Instagram should be full file size, sure. I don't use the service. Do they do the same to Android and iPhone???
Instagram for Android and iOS supports better quality pictures. http://m.androidcentral.com/instagr...s-android-app?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

Instagram starts rolling out higher-quality images for its iPhone app http://www.imore.com/instagram-rolls-out-higher-quality-images-its-iphone-app

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
This isn't a post about how Instagram or other social apps downfeade images, and besides 6tag uses the same api's as the iOS counterpart so there isn't a different between 6tags upload now and iOS instagram. This is a post that I posted dealing with the fact that images shared anywhere turn out like the original image instead of the enhanced image that the Lumia camera app makes them.

Skulls138

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It's not an app. Living images are the way the Lumia Camera 5 (the camera app in denim and newer builds) takes pictures. It takes living images. It's the new style of pictures. Look it up! If you have denim then your camera takes living images. Or atleast it can. They are better looking images than you can get without it on.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Is this the link you're looking for?
FAQ - Can I share Living Images taken with Lumia Camera? - Microsoft

Now I'm confused. In post #5 you mentioned that you were referring to the image itself that "results from that video", after I asked you if you were referring to Living Images (so you were not referring to Living Images). But now you're asking about Living Images itself.

As for you question in post#11, we're still unclear as to what you're referring to as "enhanced image". Please enlighten us by going back to post#6 about sharing/posting screenshots and the final resulting image here in Windows Central in this thread. We would like to help, but we can't read your mind.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Is this the link you're looking for?
FAQ - Can I share Living Images taken with Lumia Camera? - Microsoft

Now I'm confused. In post #5 you mentioned that you were referring to the image itself that "results from that video", after I asked you if you were referring to Living Images (so you were not referring to Living Images). But now you're asking about Living Images itself.

As for you question in post#11, we're still unclear as to what you're referring to as "enhanced image". Please enlighten us by going back to post#6 about sharing/posting screenshots and the final resulting image here in Windows Central in this thread. We would like to help, but we can't read your mind.

Yes it turns out what I was talking about was specifically living images. The problem with why I didn't understand your post was I was focused on the end result (the final picture it creates in the clip). No the video, while you are referencing a video over all. So I was very confused by that and so that is why my response to you was not that it was what was talking about. I am infact talking about living.images but more specifically the final image is what every single person would love to be able to share. The fact that people can't share the original video is stupid sure, but the fact that people can't share the resulting image that it stiches is worse, now I might as well turn off the living images and just go in and manually enhance each photo and hope great photos are taken. It truly is disappointing. The original file may be able to export on the desktop but that isn't what any if us are asking for. Oh well. Hopefully Microsoft adds it soon. Enough people are crying out now, will check feedback.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So, by saying that the original file may be exported to your PC in post #16, are you referring to the same image with the same "enhanced" features? In post #1, you mentioned, "anytime [you] put it in the computer... [the] final photo that the photos app or photos section for the camera app enhanced is no longer enhanced". By saying that being able to export the original images to your PC is not what any of "us" are looking for implies that the enhanced image can indeed be copied/exported to your PC, which is in an apparent contradiction with post #1 as quoted.

We also still can't see exactly what you're seeing, pursuant to post #11 and as mentioned in post #15, third paragraph.

Anyway, I hope we all find what we're looking for. Eyes on Windows 10.:smile:

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Bro, you are looking to far into this simple questioned that I posted. I just simply wanted to find out how to share the enhanced image period. Not a whole video. Living images creates a final stitched together image from a video, and that is what everyone is trying to share. If you go to that post that Windows Central made and read the comments you'd see that. But the point now is there is no reason for me to show you what I'm talking about because I already got the answer, the answer as of now is that there is no way to share these pictures. You can get the video but that isn't what I want. So thanks for trying to help but without having the answer you are unable to :). Nothing is contradictory here, this ends the conversation now since I already have the answer.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Bro, you are looking to far into this simple questioned that I posted. I just simply wanted to find out how to share the enhanced image period. Not a whole video. Living images creates a final stitched together image from a video, and that is what everyone is trying to share. If you go to that post that Windows Central made and read the comments you'd see that. But the point now is there is no reason for me to show you what I'm talking about because I already got the answer, the answer as of now is that there is no way to share these pictures. You can get the video but that isn't what I want. So thanks for trying to help but without having the answer you are unable to :). Nothing is contradictory here, this ends the conversation now since I already have the answer.

My friend, read post #17 one more time, if you have time. I was referring to the images, not the video. In fact, the word "video" doesn't even appear there, whereas in post#16 you mentioned, "The fact that people can't share the original video is stupid sure, but the fact that people can't share the resulting image that it stitches is worse", which is clearly referring to the video (and the intention of sharing the video which is strange since I know you're talking about sharing the image) at first but then refers to the "resulting" image immediately in the second clause. It's easy to make such a kind of mistake in speech, but in writing?

Whether there is a contradiction or not isn't the point here, but we must be candid about our mistakes and accurate with our language - I'll take your word that there is no contradiction by interpreting the terms "original file" as the short video in the living image, not as the "enhanced image" (this point was unclear, and the discussion could have been shorter).

The fora are for everyone to see, and our answers must be constructed in such a way that whoever may encounter the same problem in the future would benefit from what we have written. This sounds like a valid reason to show "us" (not me alone) what you're talking about.

At any rate, since the conversation has been ended, we're glad that you're satisfied with the answer you've found. Hopefully we'll find a lot of improved features in Windows 10 Mobile.

See you around the forums. :smile:

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the confusion is coming that what I'm talking about is a mix between the video and the photo. When taking a living image photo, it creates a small video. But at the same time, that small video creates one final enhanced stitched photo from the video. Sadly that photo is unable to be shared, and I can't take a screen shot because that photo is really essentially still a part of the video. Does that make sense? I know it is confusing, I'm sorry for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos