Playing apple lossless files on Nokia 635 WP8.1?

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have ripped CDs using iTunes using apple lossless format. They are put into m4a files. I can't play these on my Nokia 635 in the Music app. I've tried using VLC app, which also gives an error when I try to play those songs.

Has anyone else bumped into this problem, and what did you do? I'd __prefer__ not to have to use some 3rd part app just to play apple lossless files.

Windows phone could be an awesome music/media player bc it offers SD expansion slots, unlike Apple products. But having to use a 3rd party app would make this much less ideal for me and would push me in the direction of buying a dedicated music player.

Thanks,
Sam

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 also does not support the Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC), which is another common lossless format. However, Windows 10 will have FLAC support built-in. I am unsure if the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) is supposed to be supported in Windows 10. Perhaps someone else can confirm or deny it.

At any rate, it's not available YET, unless the Windows 10 Preview has it enabled. I can't speak to that as I have not installed the latest, and had rolled back to 8.1 a while back.

I generally rip my CDs to FLAC on my laptop, as it is my preferred method. I use FLAC in my vehicle while travelling and on my laptop, and convert it to MP3 for using on my Windows Phone. I'm looking forward to FLAC support, as it lacks a bit of polish in the sound when you have to downgrade to MP3.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess its time for me to look into FLAC. What do you use to rip to to FLAC? And do you have any reccys for converting from apple lossless to FLAC?

By the way ... your photo avatar is not exactly what I would expect for someone with a name of "rhapdog". :)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I personally use foobar2000 to do the ripping, but there are a number of other ways to do it. Just do a Bing search on "Rip CD to FLAC" and you should get plenty of hits.

I've never needed to convert from Apple Lossless. Not sure what to use.

Yeah, my photo avatar is my actual self with my family. I used to use this one instead:
That's my actual hand-drawn avatar that I made. Perhaps I'll revert back to it, but I'll have to rescan at a higher resolution, because I've lost the original size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss