Why does MetroMail no longer work?

cae758

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: MetroMail No Longer Works

I'm getting the One Moment Please... card. Anyone else? This is possibly the most indispensible app on WP for me.

JonasEk

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site

Yep. The live tile is greyed out on mine now and doesn't open. Push notifications still work, but I can't open the app. Sucks big time since this is probably the only app I really need.

cae758

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

I busted my Lumia 1020 Saturday night and as a replacement while I decide what my next phone is, I bought the Lumia 620 and it arrived today. Metromail appears to be working fine again for me.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I busted my Lumia 1020 Saturday night and as a replacement while I decide what my next phone is, I bought the Lumia 620 and it arrived today. Metromail appears to be working fine again for me.
Good to know...I've seen a few updates recently, so the app is apparently not dead as I once thought, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it on my non-main device yet.

JonasEk

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site

Again... Not working. My app stopped giving me notifications on new emails, after reinstalling the app, it crashes after trying to login on Gmail.

terra

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I've been using this app for quite sometime. In the beginning it worked, then it started doing weird stuff, as mentioned above. I put the app on the side.
Purchased a new phone, as the dev had started working on the app again. I re downloaded, worked great for about a week, then notifications messed up, signing in problematic, etc.

I have tried to contact the dev, several times, but no response.

This app has great potential, but no support from the dev.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I gave up on it a while ago. There are a few things it did better than Outlook on 8.1 (namely the Primary/Promotions/Updates stuff and sending from other Gmail addresses linked to the account), but it wasn't worth the hassle anymore. I went back to Outlook and am happy (enough) with it.

Flowboy

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I can only assume from the little that I can find that this app is no longer functional at least for Windows 8.1 phone users.
I switched my main email address to Gmail & bought Metromail when I got my first smartphone, so maybe 3 or 4 years ago. The app has been pretty good in that time, maybe it didn't do everything that Gmail on my laptop will do but it's been useful enough.
Recently I have been unable to open mail; it appears on the phone but I get "error" when trying to open them. Effectively I can send but not receive.
Today I got fed up & uninstalled the app, thinking maybe my phone had a glitch. On re-installing, I can't get to Gmail. When the app first loads you get a column of buttons for various mail options but clicking Gmail just gets to an "error" message & hangs on a blank screen.

It is a real shame, as this was a much recommended, mostly well functioning app as far as I was concerned. I will try something else as I want to keep using Gmail on all my devices. I hate having to keep swapping email addresses etc. it is a PITA.
It seems the developer (Apoelin?) can no longer justify the work involved in keeping the app going for all (or any?) platforms, struggling with Microsoft's systems. I do not blame him. I paid a very small amount of money & got 4 years use. That's damn good value for money unless you think that digital content should be free, in which case I say; if it's that easy, go & write your own program!
Microsoft have almost certainly not helped here. When will all these huge corporations realise that users will not be tied to just one system (theirs)? Why make it difficult for the best Gmail app for Windows phone to work?

Walkntn

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I can only assume from the little that I can find that this app is no longer functional at least for Windows 8.1 phone users.
I switched my main email address to Gmail & bought Metromail when I got my first smartphone, so maybe 3 or 4 years ago. The app has been pretty good in that time, maybe it didn't do everything that Gmail on my laptop will do but it's been useful enough.
Recently I have been unable to open mail; it appears on the phone but I get "error" when trying to open them. Effectively I can send but not receive.
Today I got fed up & uninstalled the app, thinking maybe my phone had a glitch. On re-installing, I can't get to Gmail. When the app first loads you get a column of buttons for various mail options but clicking Gmail just gets to an "error" message & hangs on a blank screen.

It is a real shame, as this was a much recommended, mostly well functioning app as far as I was concerned. I will try something else as I want to keep using Gmail on all my devices. I hate having to keep swapping email addresses etc. it is a PITA.
It seems the developer (Apoelin?) can no longer justify the work involved in keeping the app going for all (or any?) platforms, struggling with Microsoft's systems. I do not blame him. I paid a very small amount of money & got 4 years use. That's damn good value for money unless you think that digital content should be free, in which case I say; if it's that easy, go & write your own program!
Microsoft have almost certainly not helped here. When will all these huge corporations realise that users will not be tied to just one system (theirs)? Why make it difficult for the best Gmail app for Windows phone to work?

It seems the developer (apoelin) just gave up and doesn't respond to complaints. I see some forum comments here at random times about them having to "take a break for several weeks" but the problem must run deeper than that.

It got into a cycle where I could only load it using the "share" function. I became tired of that and hastily uninstalled and reinstalled it but then couldn't even get to the screen where I could create a new email account (only share/send-email access). As many have learned, if you try to load it from scratch it keeps giving an update-needed error, but you already have the latest version so it's an endless loop.

If the developer quit, can't they at least restore it to its last reliable state and make it freeware?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium