How Do I Restore A Saved Backup from the OS?

rudhawk

May 30, 2015
Visit site
How Do I Restore A Saved Backup from the OS

I’m running 8.1 update 2 on a Lumia 635. After backing up & a hard reset (because camera wasn’t working after Denim upgrade), I am back in the OS and trying to figure out how to restore the backup.

I’ve logged on to Onedrive on my PC and see two phone backups. However, I’ve found no tutorial/guide showing how to restore the backup on my phone. Everything I’ve seen says it has to happen at first setup.

The problem is I have 64 character password on my wifi gateway and I can’t do a manual input on the phone (it always kicks me out after 15-20 characters). I’ve tried skipping wifi connection and just connecting to MS account but it doesn’t work without wifi.

I can copy and paste the wifi password after getting through initial setup. Is there a way to restore a backup after initial setup?

Anyone have directions or maybe point me to a guide/website with the answer.

Last edited:

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
1. There's no 8.2
2. The only time to restore a backup is right after your sign in to the MS account during setup.

At this stage, you will need to do a factory reset and start over.

rudhawk

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: How Do I Restore A Saved Backup from the OS

1. Thanks for catching that slip - I edited the post.

2, I was afraid I would get an answer like yours. So, we're regressing.

Well, I guess I'll have to change my wifi password to something I can easily input. This is crazy Microsoft.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

64 character password for your wi-fi! Either you have something to hide or paranoia ;-)

rudhawk

May 30, 2015
Visit site

lol - Paranoia!
No, it's just that the password is about 12 yrs. old - my first attempt using a password generator. Thing is I have 8 OS, a laptop & now my phone using it. Plus, it's embedded in my unattended Win7 install USB.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and entered it at start up and everything went smoothly (it just took awhile to enter).

I hope someone finds a fix for this in the future.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

lol - Paranoia!
No, it's just that the password is about 12 yrs. old - my first attempt using a password generator. Thing is I have 8 OS, a laptop & now my phone using it. Plus, it's embedded in my unattended Win7 install USB.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and entered it at start up and everything went smoothly (it just took awhile to enter).

I hope someone finds a fix for this in the future.

Being in network design, I can tell you that a 12 year old 64 character password is definitely less secure than a 12 character password, that is changed regularly (also, back then routers only had WEP, which can be cracked quite easily).

Hope your problem is solved now and that you have changed your password.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99