Vision Impaired person struggling with Lumia 532, need help please!

meerkat8472

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Oh boy is this going to be a rant.
I live in Australia, and as you may be aware, support for 2G is ending at the end of 2016. So I needed a new phone. Sure there was plenty of time but I saw a Lumia 532 for AU$30 and thought 'I've heard Windows phones have a magnifier,, sure why not' and bought it. That was the first problem, the default settings are useless for someone like me. The brightness was so pathetically low I could barely see anything so I had to bet my wife to set up the 'Ease of Access' features the first time around. Even after I knew where everything was I couldn't operate it with the default settings. I had to do that after a hard reset, I'll get to why that happened later. It took me over an hour to get the settings to something usable, my wife wasn't home at the time. Anyway, this is a pain, but I can deal with it.

Anyway, then I discovered some other annoying things about the platform. You have to have a Microsoft Account connected to the thing for some very basic stuff. I didn't want to connect any accounts to this thing, I only wanted to use it for making phone calls and sending the odd text, that's it. However you need a Microsoft account to store contacts in, because it doesn't store contacts locally. What!? So, this thing can't do something every phone since at least the 90's, and maybe even the '80's ,could do perfectly simply!? Okay, okay, I can deal with that, so I connected my old Hotmail account to it and that was that.

I also found that the Phone app doesn't give you a keypad right away when you open it and you need to bring that up yourself every time you open it. So great, even the simplest, and primary, feature of the phone is poorly designed? Okay I can deal with that too. Also, I didn't really want all these extra apps like Xbox Games and the like, can I delete them? Nope! Okay fine, they can just sit there and rot then.

Now is where the big issue comes in, texting. The messaging app has a very poor on screen keyboard. It's way too squished up for one, that can be fixed by rotating to landscape mode so fair enough. The main problem is that the keys are white with black writing. For me that makes them almost impossible to read. Can you change it to black with white writing? Nope! Well, great, this is a problem. I know, I'll get me one of those Bluetooth keyboards and use that, I don't text very often should work fine right? Those of you familiar with this platform can probably see what's coming.

I got a Bluetooth keyboard and of course it didn't work, nothing else of this platform has been easy so I don't know why I was surprised. Well, I do know, Bluetooth keyboards have been around for ages and surely a phone that was released earlier this year (I think) should be able to accept it right? Nope! Turns out you have to have Win8.1 GDR2 to get bluetooth keyboard support. Why,the smeg is that!? What took them so long? Alright fine, I just need to get this GDR2 update, and that is where I hit a brick wall.

I go the Phone Update, only to find that I am up to date as far as it's concerned. It doesn't want the GDR2 update, why? Smeg knows. So, I searched around for ways to get this update. I found a method using the Windows Insider app that involved interupting and upgrade to Win10. Didn't work, I ended up with Win10, which I didn't want. I have nothing against Win10 except that this was a Developer Preview version and I didn't want something like that on an everyday use phone. So, I used the Lumia Recovery Tool to get Win8.1 back. I then found a method that involved changing things in the registry to get the phone to think it was a different type of phone and then ask the system for the update. I couldn't get the registry editing thing to work for some reason, so that failed too. What really cheeses me off about this is that people with similar phones to mine (I've seen a 520 and a 535) have got this to work and their phones function properly. So why the hell doesn't Microsoft just let me download the damn update?

Anyway, this is where I need help, can someone please tell me a way to get GDR2 on this peice of... inefficient technology? Or failing that at least a way to get a Bluetooth keyboard to work?

Anyway, all I can say is that I'm glad Microsoft are getting out of the Mobile game. I don't think they've screwed up this bad since WinME. This is the most frustrating device I've ever had to deal with.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I can read that you are frustrated but some of the things you have said here can be fixed.

You can make a Microsoft account with pretty much any email address you have. Luckily, you would only have to log in to set it up once, and after that, only with a hard reset (or a new phone).

You can just change the phone theme to black by going to Settings->start+theme. Instead of having the background light, you can just choose dark and you will have a black keyboard with white letters.

Not every phone has access to the same updates, so it is possible to see people who have GDR2 on their Lumias and you don't. You aren't at fault, the update just isn't available for your device. Check out this list though to see the update you are meant to have for your 532 : Availability in Asia Pacific - Microsoft - Global

meerkat8472

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the keyboard suggestion. Unfortunately I'm using High Contrast mode that seems to override that. Also, I am aware that my phone is 'up to date' as far as availability is concerned, but people have gotten GDR2 to work of this phone before. So, my question is why isn't Microsoft letting me have it? It makes no sense, the update works, give it to us already.

meerkat8472

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I got the registry hack thing to work, so I now have GDR2. Which means my Bluetooth keyboard now works perfectly. This means the phone will now be bearable to use at least. Oh also another little thing I noticed was that High Contrast mode makes the Lock Screen completely black, so I can't add a picture to it. So not only is this thing a pain to use but it sucks away all the joy of owning and customizing a smartphone. The other problem in customization of course is not being able to delete stuff that we don't use. Isn't this a fantastic platform?

meerkat8472

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Well, that's annoying. I was trying to mention an issue with the keyboard mapping but every time I try to mention the "at" symbol it thinks I'm referencing a link, which I wasn't. It then tells me I can't post links until I have 10 posts. I wasn't even trying to post a link. Great forum progamming there guys.

SueBSouth

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Meerkat8472 I have to agree heartily with you on one particularly FLAT OUT WRONG aspect of the set up, is that you have to go through 5 motions JUST TO DIAL THE PHONE! (1) push side button to open phone (2) slide up screen - which sometimes takes a few swipes (3) Touch PHONE charm (4) Touch itty bitty symbol for phone pad (5) dial number - OH! and (6) press CALL. Honestly, I think I will have to just scream HELP if I need to call 911 it would be way faster. Let us also add in, forget being able to do any of this without my glasses.
Face it, we basically have handheld computers that with some hoop jumping can actually place phone calls.

meerkat8472

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I know right? I use Rapdailer now, it at least gives you a keypad straight away, removing one of those steps. Still ain't quick though, but it is much improved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss