Lumia 930 possible virus/malware issue

Wardo2k

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Dear all,

My first post is of a concern I have with my Lumia 930.

Just recently, whenever I use the standard issue MSN news app, it keeps forwarding me to suspect sites automatically. I can be reading the latest headline, a wall of text, then suddenly, without me tapping on anything, it will load an advert that takes me to, some very dodgy websites, some with adult content - which leads me to believe its not associated with the news app. Each 'site' involves a 'click to enter' scheme, which I will not click on.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have tried re-installing the app, as it only happens on news, and removed recently installed apps, but it still happens.

Thanks

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This has been happening to me recently as well. It only happens on certain news stories which makes it frustrating to diagnose.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
nothing new really, what surprised me is I didn't know it could happen on wp, block the offending url from your router or stop using the app, that's all that can be done, or maybe reset your advertising ID or whatever ms uses to throw ads at you, hopefully it will display different ads

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
nothing new really, what surprised me is I didn't know it could happen on wp, block the offending url from your router or stop using the app, that's all that can be done, or maybe reset your advertising ID or whatever ms uses to throw ads at you, hopefully it will display different ads

These aren't ads and this doesn't happen on other apps so resetting the advertising ID will do nothing. This occurs when I'm using the mobile network as well so how can I block it on the router when one isn't involved. This appears to be an issue with the app itself.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
These aren't ads and this doesn't happen on other apps so resetting the advertising ID will do nothing. This occurs when I'm using the mobile network as well so how can I block it on the router when one isn't involved. This appears to be an issue with the app itself.

VPN or adblocking DNS, but that's taking it a bit too far I guess, only thing left to do is try your luck leaving feedback for this app, or maybe check the permissions on this app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99