Anyone else becoming disillusioned with their windows phone?

Daniel Chatburn

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My phone contract is up for renewal soon and Im looking at replacing my Lumia 1020 with a 950XL. Im getting unsure though as the windows system seems to be getting worse. Snap chat app got removed and now the OS cant even use this, a fitness app I used to use stopped working and now seems entirely unsupported, the facebook app is rubbish, I used a music app called music plus and that just stopped working entirely. Even the web browser, that I started using facbook on, regularly just closes pages and shuts down in the middle of doing things. I beginning to think the windows phones aren't ever going to actually be reliable, and as much as I like the general feel of the OS and how its all designed, the execution seems flawed and only seems to be getting worse. Im dubious about getting a fancy new phone Im going to be stuck with for 18 months or so if its no better than what I have now and the apparent trend of issues continues on the new handsets. Maybe they just aren't supporting old phones quicker than ever before, but even that is a concern as my phone before this was an N8 which was always brilliant and supported really well right up until a couple years back. Seems MS ain't Nokia, and as a long time Nokia lover Im actually considering a move to an Android device.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else becoming disillusioned...

Comes and goes with me...
For most I think a single platform stagnates over time so people switch.

In my case I was initially all about Windows mobile and that has faded then peaked time and time again.
As a non-power user I'm more about devices than platform.
I do carry 2 phones most of the time...mainly for fun.
Right now for me Windows on a phone is more a hobby for learning the ins and outs.

Failures aren't as critical for this user because of my general like for mobile and a thirst to learn and solve.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Comes and goes with me...
For most I think a single platform stagnates over time so people switch.

In my case I was initially all about Windows mobile and that has faded then peaked time and time again.
As a non-power user I'm more about devices than platform.
I do carry 2 phones most of the time...mainly for fun.
Right now for me Windows on a phone is more a hobby for learning the ins and outs.

Failures aren't as critical for this user because of my general like for mobile and a thirst to learn and solve.

This might sound like a silly question, but how do you keep up? Is there a way you sync texts between the two?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't text a lot.
My Xperia is my data phone that isn't used for texting or calling I keep this number as secret as I can.
The Sony is the phone I tether from to any other device I take along.
The Alcatel gets calls and texts.

Both phones are set up with all my e-mail accounts, Skype, OneNote, OneDrive, DropBox...
(My ZF2 and 1020 are Wi-Fi only at this time)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I actually don't text a lot.
My Xperia is my data phone that isn't used for texting or calling I keep this number as secret as I can.
The Sony is the phone I tether from to any other device I take along.
The Alcatel gets calls and texts.

Both phones are set up with all my e-mail accounts, Skype, OneNote, OneDrive, DropBox...
(My ZF2 and 1020 are Wi-Fi only at this time)

That makes a lot of sense actually. Thank you for answering!
I feel like I can relate to some of what you have said before though. I have been trying Android, and now iOS. It's been fun (and frustrating), because of not being content with how Windows 10 Mobile is going. I bought a 435 to use as a music device, and every time I use it, it reminds of things that I enjoy(ed) about Windows Phone/Mobile, such as free background playback. I have moments where I find myself wondering why can't I just stick to WP/WM, but then I remember the fact that key apps I use are missing or they suck, so this is why I am doing such an experiment.

Rinse and repeat, I just desire a simple mobile life, with all of the key apps I use. So far, it seems like iOS is doing it, but it's only been the first 24 hours.

@Daniel : You should just try Android. I was a Windows Phone loyalist, and in part, I'm still rooting for it but I can't picture it being my daily driver as it used to be before. You enjoy how the OS works, but it becomes hard when apps you use regularly are pulled all of a sudden, or support dies for it. You don't lose anything by trying it.

Last edited:

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm kind of like Guytronic, going back and forth on my level of irritation. I'm not a big app user so that's not a big deal, I mostly just want a stable phone with a decent browser, and a couple of other bits and pieces. My 1520 was ok but died, so I got a 640 as an interim phone but it's kind of junky, but I paid a junky price so that's ok. I'm going to skip the 950XL, seems like a lost cause.

I've been contemplating getting an iPhone for a bit and then revisiting WP again in a year or two if it's improved, but so far I haven't been able face it. Every time I get near the Apple store I get a little nauseous and turn around. Android is not an option. I'm hoping some of the 3rd party manufacturers will come out with something decent and that WM10 will stabilize at some point, but I have to get something very soon.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster