No app updates since MS launched Windows 10 Mobile

K4m1k4z3_WP

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft officially launched Windows 10 Mobile on 3/17/2016.

As we are all aware, many older devices (Such as x2x, 1020, 1520) and some newer devices with <1GB RAM are not able to officially upgrade to this new operating system.

Interestingly, since the launch I have not received a single app update on my Windows 8.1 device. Is it just a coincidence or does it mean Microsoft has killed off WP 8.1 just like that with the snap of a finger and devs have ended their support by the day? What's your opinion? Have you received any app update in the past week?

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
with the move to UWP by most devs still committed to Windows Phone / mobile, I do not expect feature updates on Windows Phone 8.1 in the future. Bug fixing updates may still come. I do not see the point in developing for two OSes at the same time.

frodrigues21

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
with the move to UWP by most devs still committed to Windows Phone / mobile, I do not expect feature updates on Windows Phone 8.1 in the future. Bug fixing updates may still come. I do not see the point in developing for two OSes at the same time.

Exactly, updates from now on will be only to fix critical bugs affecting system/ms apps. Microsoft is now focused in W10M development and improving the users & developers experience!

K4m1k4z3_WP

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't necessarily talking about feature/system updates from Microsoft but rather about app updates from app developers which seem to have suddenly halted (at least for me).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't necessarily talking about feature/system updates from Microsoft but rather about app updates from app developers which seem to have suddenly halted (at least for me).
I just got an update for my Wells Fargo app yesterday. CamScanner has updated twice in the last month.

frodrigues21

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site

Windows Phone never had a strong support from companies, now that W10M is out, you should expect even less from them...

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
It will fade into obscurity. I give it another 5 years or so as our 8.1 device die. Expect a major shift this holiday season, when W 10 M devices sell for under $100. Before you know it WP 8.1 will be like Android Jellybean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos