Hi,
    is there any Navigation App that won't send my position/my data to Microsoft, as Here does?
    THX
    06-22-2016 08:45 AM
    Hi,
    is there any Navigation App that won't send my position/my data to Microsoft, as Here does?
    THX
    Pretty much every consumer facing navigation app sends data somewhere be it Microsoft or the company who made the navigation software / hardware lol - this is called telemetry data. Also applies to other things as well even what you watch on TV (targeted advertising) certain providers have opt out boxes under online account settings or you need to specify when joining that you want to opt out from such a service.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    06-22-2016 09:01 AM
    Pretty much every consumer facing navigation app sends data somewhere be it Microsoft or the company who made the navigation software / hardware lol - this is called telemetry data. Also applies to other things as well even what you watch on TV (targeted advertising) certain providers have opt out boxes under online account settings or you need to specify when joining that you want to opt out from such a service.
    Off-Topic

That's not true, as I own many Mobiles with pre-charged maps and that won't require to be online, so no spying.... or telemetry, if you prefer to call in this way.
    So telemetry is not mandatory at all, unless someone wants to spy you on purpose.
    Moreover there is no option to stop spying you, so that only means Microsofy wants to collect data and position.

But all this is for another Topic, so I'll stop here replying to this argument:
    my question was another one, so please leave your off topic opinions out. Thanks.
    06-26-2016 02:31 AM
    If you're referring to Microsoft alone, then you may try Waze. However, Waze will collect your location data to personalize your account, e.g. your preferred routes and travel times; but to my knowledge those information from Waze will not be sent by Waze to Microsoft.

I use Google Maps, since traffic updates are more reliable where I live than Waze. Just the same, Google Maps will collect location and travel data for your account, probably also not sent by Google to Microsoft.

Note, however, that using a third-party navigation app that explicitly says that they won't collect or send your data to Microsoft doesn't stop Microsoft from collecting your location data directly from your device since you're using a Windows Phone after all.
    06-26-2016 02:59 AM
    If you're referring to Microsoft alone, then you may try Waze. However, Waze will collect your location data to personalize your account, e.g. your preferred routes and travel times; but to my knowledge those information from Waze will not be sent by Waze to Microsoft.

I use Google Maps, since traffic updates are more reliable where I live than Waze. Just the same, Google Maps will collect location and travel data for your account, probably also not sent by Google to Microsoft.

Note, however, that using a third-party navigation app that explicitly says that they won't collect or send your data to Microsoft doesn't stop Microsoft from collecting your location data directly from your device since you're using a Windows Phone after all.

Thanks!
    Finally an In-Topic reply...
    You got the point.
    So please forgive another question:
    is there a way (an option, a setup,an app) to avoid Microsoft collecting my position anytime I switch the GPS on?
    06-26-2016 03:08 AM
    No problem, and glad to have hit the spot.

Aside from absolutely not connecting to the Internet there seems to be no other guaranteed way, but that would obviously be not so convenient.

If I may ask, why the concern about your location?
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    06-26-2016 06:55 AM
    No problem, and glad to have hit the spot.

Aside from absolutely not connecting to the Internet there seems to be no other guaranteed way, but that would obviously be not so convenient.

If I may ask, why the concern about your location?
    First of all for a Privacy issue: I really don't want anyone collecting where I am and when. No one must care about my life.
    Moreover I really find guilty you have no option to disable this "telemetry".

And now I get Windows saves telemetry even if you're not using its navi app but a third party one?!
    So it is not about "improving HERE app for a better experience"!

If only I would have known this before buying a Windows Phone.
    Thanks
    07-17-2016 02:08 AM
    Whether it be an Android, Apple, or a Microsoft mobile device, all of these will have location data which "they can use" to "improve" their services, most probably through machine-learning processes - it's not like an actual is watching your location 24/7.

"Windows saves telemetry" is different from "[that] doesn't stop Microsoft from collecting your location data". And again it logically is for the improvement of their services. They're a business ran by businessmen. Wouldn't it be a time and resource-consuming task to just monitor anyone's position without any particular business-motivated purpose? An example of such an improvement in service is crowd-sourced traffic data based on users who actually use their navigation app.

If you absolutely need to navigate using GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, etc., then get a Garmin or a similar navigation-only device (not a smart phone, not a tablet, just a navigation device).

No one must care about my life.
    Good luck.
    07-17-2016 03:34 AM