I now officially hate Windows Phone

ET3D

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to give my Nokia 620 to my daughter. Reverted it back from 10 beta to 8.1, created an account for her, and struggled with the annoying family account definition, which took about a day to be recognised. Then I started getting black screens so ended up doing a hard reset. Tried to restore the backup, and was asked to verify the account using an SMS, which didn't work for some reason, so I was offered the option to do it later. Problem is, there's apparently no way to restore a backup except right after the phone is started for the first time.

I knew before that Microsoft had problems creating usable user interfaces, but really, do they have to make it so hard? I think I'll just give her an Android phone. The only reason I wanted to give her my old Windows phone is because there are a lot fewer apps, so there's less chance of her installing tons of garbage. But it's just not worth it.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
MS gets me mad alot these days. If you've not yet bought a new phone, see if she can use the phone without restoring from backup. Unless there's some special reason why the backup is needed.

ET3D

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
No real reason not to continue without backup. I just wanted to save myself all the work of configuring again and adding the software and phone numbers she'd use.

Edit: Looks like the phone numbers were already backed up to the account, not part of the configuration, so it was only a little bit of work.

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to give my Nokia 620 to my daughter. Reverted it back from 10 beta to 8.1, created an account for her, and struggled with the annoying family account definition, which took about a day to be recognised. Then I started getting black screens so ended up doing a hard reset. Tried to restore the backup, and was asked to verify the account using an SMS, which didn't work for some reason, so I was offered the option to do it later. Problem is, there's apparently no way to restore a backup except right after the phone is started for the first time.

I knew before that Microsoft had problems creating usable user interfaces, but really, do they have to make it so hard? I think I'll just give her an Android phone. The only reason I wanted to give her my old Windows phone is because there are a lot fewer apps, so there's less chance of her installing tons of garbage. But it's just not worth it.

I myself faced this quite a few times, if I dont have a wifi at the time of configuring and I skip the restore thingy , i wont get it again. its utterly stupid.

ET3D

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I quit. Just can't get the phone to work right. The power button stopped working. It physically works, because a long press does bring up the shutdown prompt, but it doesn't put the phone to sleep or take it out of it. Then after a prompt for a language update, the touch screen doesn't respond either.

We'll just give her a cheap Android phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I quit. Just can't get the phone to work right. The power button stopped working. It physically works, because a long press does bring up the shutdown prompt, but it doesn't put the phone to sleep or take it out of it. Then after a prompt for a language update, the touch screen doesn't respond either.

We'll just give her a cheap Android phone.

Ah sorry to hear.

See if you can snag a couple-years-old-or-younger Nexus, Moto G or something.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

They changed the back-up format in Windows 10 Mobile though. Not sure if it was for anniversary update or already for 10586, but they clearly did that. If you're sure that couldn't be a problem, can you change the verification method?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077