Thinking about getting a used RT tablet for Mom

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone posts in the RT forums anymore haha, but I wanted to get some opinions. My mom's Lenovo Laptop from 2011 has seen better days...chipped all over, cracked, missing keys, and screen hinge hanging on by a thread. She's mentioned she wants a tablet, but I'm very hesitant to get her one because she's in her 60's relatively low tech. She knows the basics around windows and the laptop currently has 10 on it (I upgraded it a while back). I was thinking about getting a cheap used RT tablet off ebay for under $100 and giving it to her to see if she can even use that without calling me every day asking how to do things lol. If that works, she's willing to spend $500-600 for a new device, maybe I could point her towards a new Surface for something. All she uses her PC for is youtube, facebook, basic web browsing, and email. So my main question: is RT so dead that it would be a bad idea to get her one just to try out a tablet? Is there a facebook app and Netflix app still on RT? Does the browser play youtube videos without problems? Thanks

mtbmike24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone posts in the RT forums anymore haha, but I wanted to get some opinions. My mom's Lenovo Laptop from 2011 has seen better days...chipped all over, cracked, missing keys, and screen hinge hanging on by a thread. She's mentioned she wants a tablet, but I'm very hesitant to get her one because she's in her 60's relatively low tech. She knows the basics around windows and the laptop currently has 10 on it (I upgraded it a while back). I was thinking about getting a cheap used RT tablet off ebay for under $100 and giving it to her to see if she can even use that without calling me every day asking how to do things lol. If that works, she's willing to spend $500-600 for a new device, maybe I could point her towards a new Surface for something. All she uses her PC for is youtube, facebook, basic web browsing, and email. So my main question: is RT so dead that it would be a bad idea to get her one just to try out a tablet? Is there a facebook app and Netflix app still on RT? Does the browser play youtube videos without problems? Thanks
Browser works great. My wife has a 1 gen RT tablet and it works great battery last forever. The best thing about it is office is preinstalled and works great. The tablet supports flash and despite what everyone says flash is dead but I run into alot of sites that still use it. If you run into a web page not working good just open in desktop mode.

Sent from mTalk

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the non-Pro Surface devices are still good. If you can get a good deal on a Surface 2, then I'd recommend that... higher res screen and significantly faster processor are worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion