Windows phone users

md_minhaj

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to see who's still holding onto their windows phone? I had been a loyal Windows phone user for 5 years. My first was samsung focus flash and the next was lumia 720 and it still works great. But due to no promised updates I had to give up and move to android. Now using Redmi 3s prime and loving it more. The android eco system is great. Hope to never look back. Cheers!

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
You're killing me, here! I used the HTC Touch Diamond (WM6.1) back in '08. Then I got a hold of the Galaxy S2, which I believe was the best phone of it's generation. That is until it dropped the ball on me when it comes to making calls and sending messages. By the time I realized it was all smart and no phone, I went back to WP8 with the Lumia 920. Figured I should help delay their inevitable demise.

Three years later I decided it was time to switch and got the 950xl. I'm enjoying this (very long) spring fling with WM, but like you I'm toying with the idea of jumping ship before they go the way of the dodo (and the Blackberry).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't use my Windows phone as my primary device, but I still keep one around. I had a couple 920's, but sold them. On Black Friday weekend a couple months ago I bought a Lumia 650 during Microsoft's sale, and that's what I have currently.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I do. Just bought myself the 950xl on cheap after 1.5 yr with Lumia 640. You won't find any phone with this quality at this price. Period.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've used Android, BlackBerry, iPhone and have settled on an Alcatel Idol 4s Windows phone as my primary device. Beats them all for my needs and love the UI.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Still here and enjoying the W10M experience on my Alcatel Idol 4S as my only device. No Android or Apple for me currently. My finance is still on and satisfied with her Lumia 640XL that I upgraded to W10M. So we are both happy with our devices and the operating system as our primary and sole mobile devices for now.

Sent from mTalk

md_minhaj

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
You're killing me, here! I used the HTC Touch Diamond (WM6.1) back in '08. Then I got a hold of the Galaxy S2, which I believe was the best phone of it's generation. That is until it dropped the ball on me when it comes to making calls and sending messages. By the time I realized it was all smart and no phone, I went back to WP8 with the Lumia 920. Figured I should help delay their inevitable demise.

Three years later I decided it was time to switch and got the 950xl. I'm enjoying this (very long) spring fling with WM, but like you I'm toying with the idea of jumping ship before they go the way of the dodo (and the Blackberry).
Great.. If you like it hold onto it dearly. I had to jump mainly coz of the app gap.

md_minhaj

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't use my Windows phone as my primary device, but I still keep one around. I had a couple 920's, but sold them. On Black Friday weekend a couple months ago I bought a Lumia 650 during Microsoft's sale, and that's what I have currently.
Cool.. I hope the OS is not buggy as it was when the w10 dev preview were realeased bi weekly.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I still use my 950 and very occasionally my 650. Even though I also have an android device now I still flip back and forth between OS's.

Still like the windows interface and the general smoothness of windows compared to android but android has the upper hand when it comes to navigation. Google maps I find to be superior to maps on windows.

All in all I will probably continue using both systems, but windows overall is still the better operating system IMO.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm a chronic switcher so I use them all. Anyway, no matter what, I like to always have a Windows Phone. Always. Currently using a 950 for the second time around though.

Sent from mTalk

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Can any of the switchers and multi-OS users recommend an Android with as close a look and feel as the current crop of W10M (Idol/Elite/950)?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you looking for hardware or software? There are launchers that resemble Live Tiles if that is what you're looking for. Those launchers should be compatible with just about any current Android devices.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I am still using a 735 on Verizon. When I finally do switch i will change carriers so i can continue with WP.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Gosh, I pressed the reply button too early. Meant to have this reply in one single post as the above, but oh well. Also, prepare yourself for a wall of text :)

Anyway, my first ever smartphone was the Nokia Lumia 620. I decided to get this one right before I started my A-levels back in 2013. Thinking back, I could've gotten myself a better phone, but at that time I was never the one to prioritize my budget on a smartphone (rather spend it on a computer/laptop), and hence wanted to find a budget-friendly, WiFi capable device (not to mention that my parents are the ones paying for it). Another reason for getting the 620 was because it had the Nokia branding. My previous 'basic' phones, as they call it these days, were mostly Nokia, so I got stuck with the brand, and got introduced into the world of WP. Used it throughout my 2 years of A-levels, and during that time, many people questioned my decision of using a WP device. Apps were basically it, but tbh I didn't mind at all. The phone served my very basic needs at that time, and it served me well.

My 620 was a tank. Dropped it literally from my chest height onto a tiled-floor once to show my friends what a tank this little monster is, as well as randomly dropping it due to clumsiness and it survived numerous times until one not-so-fine day, I dropped my phone on a sharp edge of my bed, and the edge literally hit the center of the 620's power button, rendering it useless. Of course, I could still double-tap to wake the phone, but it was a hit and miss (I blame it on the numerous drops it experienced). Not to mention the battery got worse, where I'd have to charge my phone 3 times a day if I connected it to WiFi. After A-levels, discussed with my parents that I needed a better phone because, well, my phone was pretty broken now, and they agreed. I could've jumped ship at this time, but I chose not to. I went with the Lumia 830 instead. Also, I could've gotten myself the 930, but the lack of expandable memory pushed me away, although the camera was very nice and the SoC was better. About a year later, I found myself regretting this decision, but not really.

The 830 was beautiful, and I loved it very much. Although the performance of the 830 was indeed better than the previous 620, it wasn't really that obvious. I guess that WP8.1 was really a smooth and optimized OS compared to the initial state of W10M. I emphasize initial state because currently, I find W10M's performance on my 830 about the same as, if not better, than WP8.1. Also, the 830's camera was really phenomenal. Took so many great shots with it that it ignited my not-so-hardcore passion for photography. I had my qualms about the 830's size as moving from a 3" device to a 5" felt like a huge leap, but thanks to the lightweight design of the phone, I got used to the 830's size in no time.

I was still happily using my 830, got it around mid-2015, and was a year into using it where I started feeling like it'd be a good idea to get a 2nd budget Android phone for the apps, or maybe jump ship altogether, because entering university, my smartphone became a very important device for me to receive my e-mails and connect with my peers for project discussions and whatnot. My 830 does serve my needs well, but with the start of my heavy usage of the phone, I find the battery life lacking. It was then that Windows Central made another giveaway for a brand new 950/XL phone, and I won it.

Introducing my current lover, the 950. Dual-sim variant, shipped all the way from the USA to Malaysia. Put a Mozo casing on it because it deserves to be pampered, and I love every moment I spent with it. At the time I received the phone, W10M was already on its way to the much better Anniversary Update, and MS had released all the important firmware for the phone, so I did not have to go through the messed up state of the 950 during it's initial launch. Simply put, the 950 with a black leather Mozo case with aluminium framing is just like a much better, much improved version of my 830. The screen, the camera, the battery life, the performance, the storage, everything was simply better.

Up to this day, I still sometimes question my decision to delve into the ever-despairing world of Windows Phones, as well as thinking about what if I chose the 950XL over my current 950 due to the XL's better SoC for future-proofing and it's longer battery life? Would I have been better off with the 950XL? Would I be happily using all the apps offered in the competitor's platform had I not delve into WP?

Well, at the end of the day, I find myself content with WP, or W10M, and I choose to stick with it. Also, a huge shoutout to Windows Central for this amazing site, for allowing me to connect with this amazing community that allows me to know that I'm not alone in this platform, and also for giving me this amazing phone. Thank you for everything.

To W10M; what is dead may never die.

tl;dr: Nokia Lumia 620 -> Nokia Lumia 830 -> Microsoft Lumia 950

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Are you looking for hardware or software? There are launchers that resemble Live Tiles if that is what you're looking for. Those launchers should be compatible with just about any current Android devices.

Is there a launcher that you have in mind? For me hardware is hardware. Software is what keeps me entrenched in Windows. When I used the Galaxy S2, I saw apps that offered a lot of customization but they all seemed to need rooting (or something else which I cannot remember but struck me as too prohibitive). Is that still the case now?

md_minhaj

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Gosh, I pressed the reply button too early. Meant to have this reply in one single post as the above, but oh well. Also, prepare yourself for a wall of text :)

Anyway, my first ever smartphone was the Nokia Lumia 620. I decided to get this one right before I started my A-levels back in 2013. Thinking back, I could've gotten myself a better phone, but at that time I was never the one to prioritize my budget on a smartphone (rather spend it on a computer/laptop), and hence wanted to find a budget-friendly, WiFi capable device (not to mention that my parents are the ones paying for it). Another reason for getting the 620 was because it had the Nokia branding. My previous 'basic' phones, as they call it these days, were mostly Nokia, so I got stuck with the brand, and got introduced into the world of WP. Used it throughout my 2 years of A-levels, and during that time, many people questioned my decision of using a WP device. Apps were basically it, but tbh I didn't mind at all. The phone served my very basic needs at that time, and it served me well.

My 620 was a tank. Dropped it literally from my chest height onto a tiled-floor once to show my friends what a tank this little monster is, as well as randomly dropping it due to clumsiness and it survived numerous times until one not-so-fine day, I dropped my phone on a sharp edge of my bed, and the edge literally hit the center of the 620's power button, rendering it useless. Of course, I could still double-tap to wake the phone, but it was a hit and miss (I blame it on the numerous drops it experienced). Not to mention the battery got worse, where I'd have to charge my phone 3 times a day if I connected it to WiFi. After A-levels, discussed with my parents that I needed a better phone because, well, my phone was pretty broken now, and they agreed. I could've jumped ship at this time, but I chose not to. I went with the Lumia 830 instead. Also, I could've gotten myself the 930, but the lack of expandable memory pushed me away, although the camera was very nice and the SoC was better. About a year later, I found myself regretting this decision, but not really.

The 830 was beautiful, and I loved it very much. Although the performance of the 830 was indeed better than the previous 620, it wasn't really that obvious. I guess that WP8.1 was really a smooth and optimized OS compared to the initial state of W10M. I emphasize initial state because currently, I find W10M's performance on my 830 about the same as, if not better, than WP8.1. Also, the 830's camera was really phenomenal. Took so many great shots with it that it ignited my not-so-hardcore passion for photography. I had my qualms about the 830's size as moving from a 3" device to a 5" felt like a huge leap, but thanks to the lightweight design of the phone, I got used to the 830's size in no time.

I was still happily using my 830, got it around mid-2015, and was a year into using it where I started feeling like it'd be a good idea to get a 2nd budget Android phone for the apps, or maybe jump ship altogether, because entering university, my smartphone became a very important device for me to receive my e-mails and connect with my peers for project discussions and whatnot. My 830 does serve my needs well, but with the start of my heavy usage of the phone, I find the battery life lacking. It was then that Windows Central made another giveaway for a brand new 950/XL phone, and I won it.

Introducing my current lover, the 950. Dual-sim variant, shipped all the way from the USA to Malaysia. Put a Mozo casing on it because it deserves to be pampered, and I love every moment I spent with it. At the time I received the phone, W10M was already on its way to the much better Anniversary Update, and MS had released all the important firmware for the phone, so I did not have to go through the messed up state of the 950 during it's initial launch. Simply put, the 950 with a black leather Mozo case with aluminium framing is just like a much better, much improved version of my 830. The screen, the camera, the battery life, the performance, the storage, everything was simply better.

Up to this day, I still sometimes question my decision to delve into the ever-despairing world of Windows Phones, as well as thinking about what if I chose the 950XL over my current 950 due to the XL's better SoC for future-proofing and it's longer battery life? Would I have been better off with the 950XL? Would I be happily using all the apps offered in the competitor's platform had I not delve into WP?

Well, at the end of the day, I find myself content with WP, or W10M, and I choose to stick with it. Also, a huge shoutout to Windows Central for this amazing site, for allowing me to connect with this amazing community that allows me to know that I'm not alone in this platform, and also for giving me this amazing phone. Thank you for everything.

To W10M; what is dead may never die.

tl;dr: Nokia Lumia 620 -> Nokia Lumia 830 -> Microsoft Lumia 950
Great to read your story!! Just when you thought that you would jump ship to Android you won a latest upgrade. Seems you and Windows mobiles are destined to be together forever. Cheers! 😀

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Great to read your story!! Just when you thought that you would jump ship to Android you won a latest upgrade. Seems you and Windows mobiles are destined to be together forever. Cheers! ??????

Cheers! But tbh, I don't really see myself using my Lumia 950 for the next 5 years with the current situation with the OS. Retrenching comes to mind. Once Microsoft officially stops support for this baby of mine, then I guess I'd have to jump ship, assuming there're no more W10M devices being released in the future.

GN_Will

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm still loving my low end lumia device especially after updating it to Windows 10. It's a better OS for me when I compare it with Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon