Moving to ChromeOS after growing up with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It would take an act of God for Windows to fall off the top branch in the PC world. That being said, Chromebooks are very good at what they do which is web-based consumption. My Acer 13 is the fastest browser I've ever had and it's not even close.

But that's really all it is.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It would take an act of God for Windows to fall off the top branch in the PC world. That being said, Chromebooks are very good at what they do which is web-based consumption. My Acer 13 is the fastest browser I've ever had and it's not even close.

But that's really all it is.

They certainly have their place, but won't replace a PC.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Alright I only stated that because I think this is not likely the biggest determining factor in choosing a chromebook and since both seem to have similar tools for privacy, it shouldn't even be brought up. It's simply an opinion you have with 0 proof or knowledge of it. Even something as simple as saying you trust one company over another conveys you are pointing fingers at something suspicious. And it's things like this that spread false rumors on the internet and create false beliefs. Even if your intentions may be good, strong opinions can be interpreted incorrectly.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Alright I only stated that because I think this is not likely the biggest determining factor in choosing a chromebook and since both seem to have similar tools for privacy, it shouldn't even be brought up. It's simply an opinion you have with 0 proof or knowledge of it. Even something as simple as saying you trust one company over another conveys you are pointing fingers at something suspicious. And it's things like this that spread false rumors on the internet and create false beliefs. Even if your intentions may be good, strong opinions can be interpreted incorrectly.

I'm not stating anything false. I'm taking the information and tools each company provides and using that to make an informed decision.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not stating anything false. I'm taking the information and tools each company provides and using that to make an informed decision.

No it's opinion based hence why you say "I trust google more". The tools provide the same solution pretty much including opting out. Google has also been known to get caught doing bad things, including collecting peoples own wifi data using Google streetview cars. It was also investigated in many Euro countries for privacy violations which it was forced to change. MS takes proactive measures to work with European agencies when dealing with privacy.
There are countless times Google has done a lot of bad stuff and only stopped because they were caught.

Oh and right out of Eric Schmidt's mouth about privacy "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"

Now with privacy focus being strong they may have changed and I don't use the past against them when it comes to hardware or anything. It's called a truly unbiased review.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, but why are you trying so hard to convince everyone here that a CB is all anyone needs? If it works for you, that is great, but reading through this thread, it sounds way too much like a sales pitch, JMT.

While I do agree with you that it did sound a bit like a sales pitch which made it suspect, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just really likes it. Heck, even I can sound like that when I'm talking about the Surface Pro 3/4/Studio, because I think it's really the best device all around. I don't know if I could write out a post like this though - that's quite a bit of work. He should do some freelance for AndroidCentral - heh.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
well, it just indicates for USA, which is one country only and not the world

I'm not surprised that it did. You can buy like 5 CBs for the cost of one MB and with the wide adoption from school districts, Apple has started to lose its foothold in the education market. MS really need to step up in education - they're trying, but not fast enough. My main argument about CBs in schools is that a similarly configured CB's price is relatively the same to a PC laptop and with far more capability.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My main argument about CBs in schools is that a similarly configured CB's price is relatively the same to a PC laptop and with far more capability.

True, PCs are more capable, but a PC is a pain to manage and maintain in a school situation. A Chromebook is simple to manage, and takes virtually no maintenance. A student generally doesn't need to do anything a Chromebook can't do anyway.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
True, PCs are more capable, but a PC is a pain to manage and maintain in a school situation. A Chromebook is simple to manage, and takes virtually no maintenance. A student generally doesn't need to do anything a Chromebook can't do anyway.

I know about the management pain and CBs definitely win in that area, which is also why it's winning in education adoption - district sysadmins want something easy to manage. Students don't need overly complicated applications either - I don't disagree. Here's my thing though. Having kids "learn computing" has gotten a lot easier with the dumbed down interfaces such as ChromeOS which is essentially a web browser and iOS which everything is a self contained app. I don't think it should be that easy in the sense that these "rounded scissor" OSes doesn't really teach the student things like file management operations, file structure/hiearchy, other complex interactions and even hacking, etc that I believe leads to a richer understanding of how computers work. I attribute my earliest interactions with a PC to how I work so efficiently with computers now at work. It's really hard to nail down exactly what it was with PCs that has given me a set of thinking skills that I don't see with folks that are growing up with web browsers and app launcher interfaces.

Anyways, that's my take. I think the learning curve with a PC is much higher than ChromeOS and iOS that are in most schools, but the benefits of learning to use an enterprise level OS better serves the student in the long run. In the same way how the UI (mostly iOS) is so simple, that grandma and even a toddler knows how to use it, is also like how microwaves made it so simple for anyone to make a hot meal. You may be able to make yourself a hot lunch with a microwave (CB, iOS), but you don't know how to cook (PC, Linux, etc). Learn the basics of cooking - much better in the long run.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyways, that's my take. I think the learning curve with a PC is much higher than ChromeOS and iOS that are in most schools, but the benefits of learning to use an enterprise level OS better serves the student in the long run.
I have to agree with your assessment. Society in general is dumbing down our kids and it's a disservice to them in the long run. I can see schools using Chromebooks in elementary school to give youngsters an introduction to computing but starting in Middle School they need to ratchet it up. By the time a student enters High School they need to be whips on computers because not every one of them will be going on to college. Even trades which were reserved for the "not so college" crowd are increasingly dependent on computers. I was an ASE-certified mechanic in my teens and 20s but I'd be lost today without a proper background in computers.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Am I in windows central or chrome central? Bro post your article where it is needed, or were you paid to post it here?

Most of us are multi-platform so we encourage discussion related to other OSes. Isolation is a recipe for failure at any level, just ask Harley-Davidson.

Perez5k

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
No one lives isolation, my point is things should be where they ought to be, it is called organization.
If you belong to other platforms, so does many others. Whenever there is need to read such articles of other OSes we visit the other forums.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
it is called organization

This thread resides in "Other OS's and Devices" which allows for discussions about other OS's or devices.
Not sure what else can be done to be more organized than we already are.

If you have a suggestion to help us become more organized please feel free to post your thoughts in our "Help and Feedback" section.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Am I in windows central or chrome central? Bro post your article where it is needed, or were you paid to post it here?

This thread resides in "Other OS's and Devices" which allows for discussions about other OS's or devices.
Not sure what else can be done to be more organized than we already are.

If you have a suggestion to help us become more organized please feel free to post your thoughts in our "Help and Feedback" section.

To be fair... I just moved the thread to Other OS's after Perez5k posted what he did and without reading that post.

The OP did place the thread in an inappropriate area (Windows 10 Forum) and I moved it because the initial placement was wrong.

So at the time @Perez5k made the post I quoted above the first part of his complaint was valid.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No one lives isolation, my point is things should be where they ought to be, it is called organization.
If you belong to other platforms, so does many others. Whenever there is need to read such articles of other OSes we visit the other forums.
Not everyone knows the reach of Mobile Nations so they post where they feel comfortable and the fine mod staff from whichever forum takes care of "organizing" the threads. Also, did you ever stop to think that many of our members don't count on English as their primary, secondary or even tertiary language? Pump the brakes dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb