I need help from an admin or someone?

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
This is the conversations so far that was posted in newbie section:

mbdizzy63
I have just bought windows 10 pro. I have Vista. I am trying to update to 10 but, I am having trouble. I have the system requirements except DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver. I tried to update but, I guess my graphics card needs updated. I only have DirectX. I tried to download ISO and RUFUS to a flash drive but, they only download to google. I tried to open RUFUS to set it up for system 32 but, it just disappears as it activates when I click it. I just got Hughesnet Satellite Internet and I can only surf through searching anything first through google. Google is no longer supported and Internet Explorer doesn't work at all. I tried formatting C:/ like the good old days of 95 & 98. But it wouldn't let me. I need help. If anyone could help I would sure appreciate it. Thank you, Mark B.

midnightfrolic
in all honesty, I commend you for even trying to install Windows 10 on hardware that's almost 10 or more years old.

if I were you, I'd get a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. use your Win 10 Pro key to upgrade it to Pro status.

old hardware make your Windows 10 experience that much more frutrating and you'll end up hating windows 10 and MS.

Vista was released in 2006.

Edit: any chance you can get different internet service provider? Like DSL OR CABLE internet?

Golfdriver97
Trusted Member Team Leader
Welcome to the forums. Did you get a USB with Windows 10? You could try forcing the PC to read the USB drive to install Windows.

mbdizzy63
To answer you both in order: 1: I don't have the means to get a new computer right now. Hughesnet or dialup are the only options. This is the country and Southern OH.

2: I bought a USB dvd r/w to install it cuz my old in the case model died. So, how do I force it?

And to reiterate 10 has got to be better than freaking Vista cuz I almost went back to Win 98 when I bought this crap.

mtiede
I'm guessing that if your machine can't handle vista it won't handle Windows 10 either. I had vista and it worked fine.

mbdizzy63
It works it just sucks cuz it won't update google or surf with Internet explorer with hughesnet.

mbdizzy63
I hit a link with google and it won't go there unless I go to google search and click the link there. And sometimes that doesn't work either.

mbdizzy63

Golfdriver97 Wake up I'm talking to you. I can't pm you or contact you cuz this vista crap won't work. I can't get a window when i try to pm or hit contact. This thing won't surf. That's why I want to upgrade.
You said I could force it? But you haven't comeback on here to say how?
So are you gonna tell me how to format C:? When I type "format C:" from the DOS prompt (which I have to shut off the power and restart to get to; "safemode command prompt.") it asks for
(The type of the file system is NTFS
Enter current volume label for drive C:).
I can't download rufus.exe or Win10_1803_English_x32 (1).iso directly to the flash drive . They are suppose to be 8 gig large according to the windows page. When I download them they aren't that big but, they are like; 3 or 4 gig. But, when I save them to the flash drive from google downloads; it says they are only 96.k large.
Golfdriver97 if you are not knowledgeable enough as a Trusted Member Team Leader. Could you at least get someone on here that is the smartest at this stuff to help me out? I need help bad please!

mbdizzy63
Hello....hello....hello.... is there anybody in there. Just type if you can hear me. I need someone who knows what it's about. come on now I'm really feeling down. Can an admin help me out. I need some friggin help....

That's where the conversation has gotten so far. I need help! I need someone who has some knowledge about vista and windows 10. That's why I came here. Not for misinformed opinions...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
First of all being rude to people on here won't get you anywhere, I get that this is frustrating but understand that we are trying to help and that we are not part of Microsoft. I would also download, if you are able, Chromium which is a little more up to date than IE https://github.com/henrypp/chromium/releases/tag/v49.0.2623.112-r403382-win32

The bottleneck in all of this is the internet connection which is something that neither of us have any control over, it's just a case of being patient and waiting for it.

OK, so with that said I have tried installing Windows 10 on a device that used to run Vista and it wasn't a good experience, however how old is the machine and have you tried the media creation tool https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=VenFjs_j

I'm assuming that you bought the copy online so you should have a license key to activate it once installed but the tool should allow you to upgrade directly or create install media. The tool should, I haven't used it for a while so I'm not entirely sure of this, also check your PC is compatible before trying to install and give you a report of what is incompatible and what needs reinstalling. Even so, make sure you check the system requirements thoroughly first as the tool itself may not do it and there are lots of important notes https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ws%2Fwindows-10-specifications&token=zclvpTgM

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have given a reply in your other thread: https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/476018-issues-windows-10-install-help.html#post3750415

I have tried installing Windows 10 on a device that used to run Vista and it wasn't a good experience

Depending on the hardware, I am wondering if the OP will have a similar experience, unless there is room for RAM expansion. Now RAM prices have been increasing a lot lately, and given how old the PC in question would be for the OP, older RAM may be just as pricey as it would be harder to come by. DDR3 is practically no longer in production, and may run nearly the price of a new PC off the shelf, which would be more cost effective anyway.

Given older hardware, I would suggest a Linux distro. Mint, or perhaps Ubuntu. Those are the more new user friendly OS options.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I will try to add to this thread some information and thoughts and hopefully not derail its intended path or cause confusion...

It sounded like you wanted to take the upgrade path at the beginning of your conversations, but later on in your posted conversations you explain trying to format drive C:. This will erase all your current data and programs for your current operating system (Vista). Can you be clear on what your goal is? Are you needing to perform an in place upgrade from Vista to W10, and what version of W10 are you upgrading to (Windows 10 pro 32bit, Windows 10 home 32bit, Windows 10 home 64 bit, etc..)? Or are you trying to do a clean brand new install of Windows 10 erasing your current operating system, data, and applications?

Like mentioned above you'll need either the Windows 10 installation dvd or to use the W10 media creation tool and build an upgradeable/bootable usb stick. You'll need to have the same Widows 10 bit version (either 32 bit or 64 bit) as your current Vista installation. Check whether Vista is 32 or 64 bit just to be sure. Nowadays I think the W10 media creation tool will provide both installation versions automatically but it's possible to select or have only one or the other which will cause an upgrade not to proceed if the wrong bit version is used.

I think only Vista ultimate is upgradeable to Windows 10 pro. So I will assume you are trying to do a clean install at this point...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have given a reply in your other thread: https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/476018-issues-windows-10-install-help.html#post3750415

Depending on the hardware, I am wondering if the OP will have a similar experience, unless there is room for RAM expansion. Now RAM prices have been increasing a lot lately, and given how old the PC in question would be for the OP, older RAM may be just as pricey as it would be harder to come by. DDR3 is practically no longer in production, and may run nearly the price of a new PC off the shelf, which would be more cost effective anyway.

Given older hardware, I would suggest a Linux distro. Mint, or perhaps Ubuntu. Those are the more new user friendly OS options.

I came across another Linux distro that I've used that is more Windows like and has WINE installed and preconfigured with a graphical front-end called Zorin OS which is based on Ubuntu.

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I came across another Linux distro that I've used that is more Windows like and has WINE installed and preconfigured with a graphical front-end called Zorin OS which is based on Ubuntu.
Seen Zorin. There was something about it that I didn't like, but can't remember what.

If Windows isn't really needed, a good distro will do wonders on older hardware.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Windows central sent me to: how-upgrade-windows-vista-windows-10

The best way to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 10 is to start fresh with a clean installation, which you can do with the following steps:

Download the Windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft support site. Note that if you're using an older version of Internet Explorer, you'll probably need to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to load the download page.

In order to burn the ISO file to a USB flash drive, download and install Rufus, which is a free and easy to use utility to create bootable media.
Launch Rufus.
Under "Devices," select the USB flash drive you want to use.
Under "Format Options," click the disk drive icon next to "Create a bootable disk using ISO image" option.

rufus-windows-10-bootable-usb.jpg
Select the Windows 10 ISO file you want to use, and click Open.
Click the Start button to continue.
Click the OK button to confirm that all the data on the flash drive will be erased and to start the process.
Restart your computer with the newly created bootable media.

If your device isn't booting from the USB flash drive, you'll need to change your system's BIOS settings to make sure it can boot from USB. Usually, you power up your computer and hit one of the functions or ESC keys to access the BIOS, but make sure to check your manufacturer's support website for more information.

But, I can't download rufus.exe or Win10_1803_English_x32 (1).iso directly to the flash drive . They are suppose to be 5 gig large according to the windows page. When I download them they aren't that big but, they are like; 3 or 4 gig. But, when I save them from google chrome downloads to the flash drive it says: they are only 96.k large. I tried to open RUFUS to set it up for system 32 from the flash drive and from google chrome dowmloads but, it just disappears as it activates when I click it. I do not get the window you see in the attachment. It just flashes some dos screen and disappears.

Last edited:

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
neo158
Ambassador
would also download, if you are able, Chromium which is a little more up to date than IE https://github.com/henrypp/chromium/...-r403382-win32

Is this better than Google Chrome? Is it updatable with Vista? Does it work with chrome to memorize pasword and fill in the blank stuff?

it's just a case of being patient and waiting for it.
No it literally won't go some places like this sight:
have you tried the media creation tool http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=w8Y72GKQ

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Golfdriver97

Depending on the hardware, I am wondering if the OP will have a similar experience, unless there is room for RAM expansion. What is OP? I know what OS is. But, I never heard of OP. According to the RAM requirements minimum is 1gig and I have 2gig. Unless you are talking about a different RAM?

Given older hardware, I would suggest a Linux distro. Mint, or perhaps Ubuntu. Those are the more new user friendly OS options. I have heard of Linux. Not the distro part. But, Mint or Unbuntu I have no clue.. And do/or will they work with Hughesnet? Internet Explorer isn'tworking with hughesnet. What would be the chance they would?

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
nate0
Trusted Member

It sounded like you wanted to take the upgrade path at the beginning of your conversations, but later on in your posted conversations you explain trying to format drive C:.

I was going to use the ISO tool too do the install but, as I said rufus.exe won't open to set it up.

This will erase all your current data and programs for your current operating system (Vista). Can you be clear on what your goal is? Are you needing to perform an in place upgrade from Vista to W10,

I have backed up the Vista Image on a portable hard drive along with my data. You can't do an upgrade from Vista to 10 without buying 7 and upgrading from that.

what version of W10 are you upgrading to. And You'll need to have the same Widows 10 bit version (either 32 bit or 64 bit) as your current Vista installation.

As I stated in my first post(that no one read) ***windows 10 pro and I tried to open RUFUS to set it up for system 32.

So I will assume you are trying to do a clean install at this point...

Well, if someone can tell me how to get the rufus.exe to take the ISO tool(which you are calling W10 media creation tool.and put it on the flash drive. I would love to do that.

If that's not possible I would like to know what to enter after the (Enter current volume label for drive C:)
Heck I can't get any further than that. And who knows what it will ask after that?

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Golfdriver97

Depending on the hardware, I am wondering if the OP will have a similar experience, unless there is room for RAM expansion. What is OP? I know what OS is. But, I never heard of OP. According to the RAM requirements minimum is 1gig and I have 2gig. Unless you are talking about a different RAM?

Given older hardware, I would suggest a Linux distro. Mint, or perhaps Ubuntu. Those are the more new user friendly OS options. I have heard of Linux. Not the distro part. But, Mint or Unbuntu I have no clue.. And do/or will they work with Hughesnet? Internet Explorer isn'tworking with hughesnet. What would be the chance they would?
Most Linux distros come with Firefox preinstalled. That should work.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
neo158
Ambassador

Do these systems work with Hughesnet? Do they work with Google Chrome? I couldn't find one for Linux Distro straight out but, I found one from Linux Mint. I found one for Ubuntu wine. I found one for Zorin.The mint one is free but, it doesn't say if the wine or zorin are. And geez which version of what and what updates or end lines. Thats more confusing than this whole mess.

All I need to know is how do I get rufus.exe to work? I click on it with the mouse and it launches a dos window that disappears and never opens the window Do I use a dos prompt to type in: run rufus exe? OR WHAT? And if you can't tell me that. Why can't you tell me how to FORCE IT. And if that's not possible. What do I type in after: (Enter current volume label for drive C:)

I hope this clears everything up. I took two days to type and cut and paste all this together. The first time I did it I didn't save it until I was finished and when I went to paste it; it clean erased everything I had done. So, I gave up and started over today. That was yesterday again cuz the electric kept cutting out. Please, if you don't know what to do ask someone else if they know.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
These are my computers parameters:

Rating: 1.0 Windows Experience Index
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS
80 Gig Hard Drive
Windows Vista Home Basic
Display: 800 x 600.
Graphics card: DirectX

I downloaded DirectX9 on google Chrome but, it wouldn't install much like rufus and ISO files. I can buy a new graphics card but, I don't know what to get or what will fit. I want something I can play the newer PC games with...FPS etc...

These are the official minimum system requirements to run Windows 10:

Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC.
Memory: 1GB for 32-bit OS or 2GB for 64-bit OS.
Storage: 16GB for 32-bit OS 20GB for 64-bit OS.
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
Display: 800 x 600.

I hope this answers all those questions.
Accordimg to the directions on Windows Central:

I bought Windows 10 Pro 32 and I have the key card.
I backed up Windows Vista on my 40 Gig portable Hard Drive along with all my stuff I wanted to keep. Except all the bookmarks which I will do before I format C: for real if I ever can?

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

OP is Original Poster. In this case, you.

I want something I can play the newer PC games with...FPS etc...

Given your current PC specs, this may be a tall order. I don't know how well this hardware can handle most newer games (I am thinking Fortnite, Overwatch, and PUBG). You can try Linux Mint (that is a pretty decent distro). You may not be able to play games with the OS, but it may at least get you a better experience with what you do have.

You can try this ISO creation tool instead of Rufus: Universal USB Installer - Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

You do keep saying you have a key for Windows 10. Do you have the ISO file for the Windows OS?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@mbdizzy63
To add and supplement to what @Golfdriver97 stated...
You just need to get the Windows 10 Home 32 bit iso/image/download into a bootable format either via DVD or USB. It seems you have a slow internet connection, and that might hinder things but not prevent you from succeeding. So using the Windows Media Creation tool would be the best choice but with the download speed you might wait for a long time. You only need to use that method make sure you are creating a bootable USB with a thumb drive of at least 5GB. Do you have one? I would say you get the bootable media created first. Once you get that done you can move to the next step.

-Get a USB stick of at least 5GB, do you have one?
-Use the WindowsMediaCreationTool to build a bootable Windows 10 Home 32 bit installation, can you download and use the tool linked?

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
@mbdizzy63
To add and supplement to what @Golfdriver97 stated...
You just need to get the Windows 10 Home 32 bit iso/image/download into a bootable format either via DVD or USB. It seems you have a slow internet connection, and that might hinder things but not prevent you from succeeding. So using the Windows Media Creation tool would be the best choice but with the download speed you might wait for a long time. You only need to use that method make sure you are creating a bootable USB with a thumb drive of at least 5GB. Do you have one? I would say you get the bootable media created first. Once you get that done you can move to the next step.

-Get a USB stick of at least 5GB, do you have one?
-Use the WindowsMediaCreationTool to build a bootable Windows 10 Home 32 bit installation, can you download and use the tool linked?
Can the tool be used on Vista? I only saw it going back to 7.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Can the tool be used on Vista? I only saw it going back to 7.

I think it should be fine for just creating the bootable media. I could be wrong though. I have not used Vista for at least 6 months and don't think I tried creating the media from Vista though. I presume if he tries to use the created media as upgrade from Windows Vista Basic it would fail I believe.

There are instructions on this page for using Windows XP and Vista to create the media..
link

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Download the Media Creation Tool and put it on a USB stick.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

You still need an internet connection for this.

Once done, turn off your PC and insert the USB stick into your computer, turn the computer back on and boot from the USB stick (we will need to help you with this because you will need to access the BIOS and we need to see what button you have to press to get to this).

This may help:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-enter-bios-2624481

Once you are in BIOS, set it to boot from USB:

https://www.techbout.com/enable-usb-drive-boot-bios-5791/

Let the USB stick load and it will start the Windows 10 installer. Just click Install Now and follow the steps here.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-from-usb-dvd/

Let us know how you get on with this and what parts you need help on so we can help you.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
I really don't think you guys are reading thoroughly the things I write. So did anyone read my specs. Like I said I don't have directx9 I only have directx. Is that going to be a problem if so? I can buy a graphics card. I would like to get one that will play games (like:Sniper Elite 3 and Far Cry and other FPS games.) I don't know what to get or what will fit. I want something I can play the newer PC games with...FPS etc...And I really don't want linux or any of those.

I have a 16gig flash drive. USB Stick whatever you want call it I got one...

Now you guys were talking RAM. Do I have enough? Or not

Thanks for all y'alls help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12