Leaving Windows Phone :(. Moving on to Droid.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey as long as the phone fits your needs. I've had 3 iphones and an android tablet. The droid tablet crashes numerous times a day, could be unique to honeycomb, but it's enough for me to not try their phones. Going through the endless sea of icons w/ ios and android is so windows 3.1 and having 100k + of useless apps is not appealing either. I think once people get more exposed to wp, they'll migrate over.

mdrapps

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I know I haven't been as active as some people here, but I want to thank everyone here for being such amazing sports.

This is by far, and I mean by FAR, one of the more amazing forums I've been a part of. The majority of people here tend to be more level headed, enthusiastic, and supportive than in some places I have been a part of. And besides that, for Windows Phone news, this place couldn't be beat. I refreshed this almost every day to catch up on what was going on. WPCentral is a great site, and that is more than reflected in its members.

WP7 is a great OS, and maybe I'll return to it in the future if WP8 takes off. I think the platform has a lot of merit that simply hasn't been recognized by consumers yet. If Microsoft can kick this thing into high gear, I believe it'll only get better with time. Personally, though, I'm moving onto a droid (The HSPA+ version of the Motorola RAZR to be more specific). As much as I love the simple and fluid design of WP7, I can't stand its woefully neglected Live service and the archaic hardware it's running on. Nor can I stand the unfortunate lack of apps. There are so many apps I use on the family iPad on a daily basis, many of which Droid also offers but WP7 never seems to receive (like the RBC Banking app).

Hopefully I'll find myself here again in 2-3 years time, as I love MS and I hope to return if things improve. In the mean time though, thanks again for the great website and forums. I can only hope whichever Droid site becomes my favorite place to lurk is as great as this one was :)
I think the grass isn't much greener with Android, I came from Android and like WP7 better. The software feature performance of WP7 is better than android. Android seems to have "lag" even on powerful phones. The good news is that both WP7 and Android are getting better. Look at WP7 (or WP8) again in other 16mo when your eligible an upgrade. Good luck.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As in more apps?

In a manner of speaking. The OP says he'll stick with WP7 once it's in "high gear," which I can only assume more users, popularity, and I suppose more apps. But unless people buy it now, it'll never get to that point. The OP is a part of the catch 22 WP7 is in right now. It won't become more popular unless people buy it and stick with it, so if he leaves, he's only confirming that it won't get to that point.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I can understand his feelings towards the phone. I am pretty new to WP7 and only moved over because my TP2 was being constantly replaced due to hardware issues. I had considered moving to Droid now that my Sprint contract is ready for renewal and I'm eligible for a new phone but, before it happened, I managed to find work arounds for many of the programs I rely on and have relied on for years through WinCE/Mobile PDAs and the TP2 being my first Smartphone. The NIB Arrive phone was basically given to me for the $35 payment on the TP2 since I didn't carry insurance on it and I've been using it since since I upgraded it to NoDo after getting it home.

I feel that there really just hasn't been much of a push in advertising until the past few weeks with WP7 by either Microsoft or the carriers. Pretty much everybody that wasn't selling the iPhone a few weeks ago only ever talked about Droid phones. Now that a couple of others have the iPhone, that's pretty much what they're preaching. I think the OS has a lot of potential but I don't feel like MS is really marketing it like they should. To me, I feel like they are only doing it because they don't really want to give up totally on the phone market but their heart isn't in it.

Hopefully with the new advertising campaigns and hardware manufacturers finally starting to put product out there that isn't just reformatted Droid phones, there will be something for the consumer to look at and look forward to.

I, myself, am working on learning how to program so I can build apps for my phone that are seriously lacking or just non existent. Now, my problem would be that I can't even load them onto my phone without a hack. Aside from Chevron.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
In a manner of speaking. The OP says he'll stick with WP7 once it's in "high gear," which I can only assume more users, popularity, and I suppose more apps. But unless people buy it now, it'll never get to that point. The OP is a part of the catch 22 WP7 is in right now. It won't become more popular unless people buy it and stick with it, so if he leaves, he's only confirming that it won't get to that point.

I kind of agreed with ppl who said Windows Phone 7 was late to the game. They're playing catch up with not only the two most popular platforms at the moment (iPhone and Android) but also BlackBerry.

I'm very surprised at how far behind Windows Phone 7 is in sales even to BlackBerry.

Microsoft needs to bring some innovating phones out and push them out like crazy. To me it seems they're more focused on computers and xboxes.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I kind of agreed with ppl who said Windows Phone 7 was late to the game. They're playing catch up with not only the two most popular platforms at the moment (iPhone and Android) but also BlackBerry.

I'm very surprised at how far behind Windows Phone 7 is in sales even to BlackBerry.

Microsoft needs to bring some innovating phones out and push them out like crazy. To me it seems they're more focused on computers and xboxes.

I won't disagree with you; they are playing catch up in some regards, but doing rather well on the whole (in terms of UX). Advertising is is definitely on the rise; it seems MS knows it needs to happen, at least. I'm of the belief that WP7 is about to start a steady climb to "legit" in the eyes of people.

But people need to stick with it for it to happen!

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I just switched my wife from BB to WP7 because of the ease of use. She likes the social integration. Now that I have shown her how to use the maps, she really likes the way that the pieces of the OS all work together. She is still learning how to follow the thread that WP7 leaves with its integration. I can't wait to see how this OS continues to develop! Maybe the OP is -1, my wife will be +1. Who's next on board?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I just switched my wife from BB to WP7 because of the ease of use. She likes the social integration. Now that I have shown her how to use the maps, she really likes the way that the pieces of the OS all work together. She is still learning how to follow the thread that WP7 leaves with its integration. I can't wait to see how this OS continues to develop! Maybe the OP is -1, my wife will be +1. Who's next on board?

I have my girlfriend, dad, and brother in the pipeline. A close friend is also bored of his iPhone and really likes the look of WP7. :)

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

BlackBerry is a sinking ship

Yamishi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
RBC as in the Royal Bank of Canada?

I contacted their support team a couple of weeks back, asking if they were working on a WP7 app. I was expected the usual "No announcements at this time" or "Can't talk about any future plans" garbage, but they actually told me that a WP7 app was in the works, and to use royalbank.mobi in the meantime.

If I can find the e-mail, I'll dig it up and post the whole thing here.

And, that is, assuming RBC in this case does stand for Royal Bank of Canada.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I won't disagree with you; they are playing catch up in some regards, but doing rather well on the whole (in terms of UX). Advertising is is definitely on the rise; it seems MS knows it needs to happen, at least. I'm of the belief that WP7 is about to start a steady climb to "legit" in the eyes of people.

But people need to stick with it for it to happen!

I think BB has done a good job with OS7 but compared to WP7, they're still behind in terms of features.

I like the Bold 9900 and Lumia 800 from what I've seen, but I'd choose WP7 over BB because it offers more for what I do. Same reason I left WP7 to go back to Android. I like both but prefer the Android apps, browsers, and hardware.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry is a sinking ship

Idk, they're doing a whole lot better than WP7 in terms of sales. I do think WP7 is a better OS overall than BB but BB continues to outsell WP7.

Most ppl aren't even aware that WP7 exists right now which is sad for Microsoft. They really need to release some innovative handsets on the carriers. I mean come on, AT&T and Tmo have a few WP7 handsets but Verizon and Sprint have only had one for months.

Chances are most ppl are gonna choose a Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S2, HTC Amaze or Evo 3D over a Trophy or Arrive. They're not trying to be like Apple. So they need a wider variety of handsets and need to better their marketing.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
In my household we have an iPhone 3GS, 4S, an iPad, two Android phones, and a Motorola Xoom. It's not uncommon to have different OSes under the same roof.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss