Android v WP7

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I know there is probably a thread somewhere but I have been searching and cannot find anything. I currently have a moto bionic and absolutely hate the overlay. I have been offered a trophy plus some for my bionic. I know its not as customizable but just want to get some opinions from people who use it day to day.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the droid x. I now have the trophy. I love wp7 and I really do like the trophy (except for the small screen). The problem is that I am just not finding all the apps I want. I also like a bit more customization so I am thinking of going back to the droid x. It's easy enough to change the overlay with a launcher it something.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well give us an idea of how you use your phone. What features/apps do you use on a daily basis?

I moved from android and couldn't be happier. The OS in its current state is very easy to use, stable, intuitive, well laid out and deeply integrated design. Most of what people use on a daily basis is built in or readily available in the market.

There are still things missing that people would like to see implemented, but most of the day to day features for most people were brought with the last update (dubbed Mango or os version 7.5).

Many more features will be brought with Apollo later this year (os version 8) and the market is growing pretty quick. Took 25 days to go from 50K to 60K apps and I am starting to see more and more large companies add windows phone to their list of available app platforms.

If you love customizing your phone and tinkering with it, Windows Phone isn't going to be as 'fun' for you in that way obviously, but I grew tired of constantly messing with my Android phones to get them to work correctly. The cohesive UI of windows phone is a breath of fresh air. It took me about 5 minutes to fall in love with the interface of Windows Phone, and I quickly grew extremely fond of the direction MS is taking with their new platform-wide metro UI you see in Windows 8, xbox ect.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Well give us an idea of how you use your phone. What features/apps do you use on a daily basis?

I moved from android and couldn't be happier. The OS in its current state is very easy to use, stable, intuitive, well laid out and deeply integrated design. Most of what people use on a daily basis is built in or readily available in the market.

There are still things missing that people would like to see implemented, but most of the day to day features for most people were brought with the last update (dubbed Mango or os version 7.5).

Many more features will be brought with Apollo later this year (os version 8) and the market is growing pretty quick. Took 25 days to go from 50K to 60K apps and I am starting to see more and more large companies add windows phone to their list of available app platforms.

I know mango made the phone how it should have been released. My day to day use changes often but a lot of internet, netflix, email, and messaging which I know are available.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't get the Trophy. Wait till Mobile World Congress next month to see some if any LTE phone will come to Verizon.

I have an upgrade also available my thought with trading for my bionic would be try out wp7 before using the upgrade to decide on hopefully a lte wp7 or another lte android.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I know mango made the phone how it should have been released. My day to day use changes often but a lot of internet, netflix, email, and messaging which I know are available.

Well messaging is there in spades. Text, built in facebook & windows live messenger in the same hub. Whatsapp is great, and there are other im apps for google talk if you use that.

Internet Explorer is great on windows phone. Very fast and smooth. Netflix is available for streaming content although I wish netflix would add the ability to edit your queue directly from their app (can still do other ways but would be nice). Email is excellent.

I say give it a shot. Its not for everybody, but I think its a breath of fresh air in a market that hasn't changed the basic UI design in quite some time. There's a reason that windows phone devices are almost always in the top spots for ratings and customer satisfaction on all the carriers & amazon alike. Its just great design that works and works well.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade also available my thought with trading for my bionic would be try out wp7 before using the upgrade to decide on hopefully a lte wp7 or another lte android.

It is a great way to try out the platform. And if you like it, then you can wait to go on contract with devices released with Apollo (os version 8) later this year. You'll see dual core, HD resolutions ect that would be worth getting back into a contract with.

I bought a used focus on ebay back in Feb to try out the platform and ended up loving it. Been very happy with it so I am in no rush to get a new device as even the 1st gen's run like butter. I am getting the Nokia Lumia 900 on AT&T in march though, so just a couple months away ;)

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree that wp is nice. I would wait for a better phone. If you stream a lot of Netflix, you are going to miss the lte on your bionic. If you are sick of android, WP is the way to go. Hopefully Verizon will get a better WP device soon.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree that wp is nice. I would wait for a better phone. If you stream a lot of Netflix, you are going to miss the lte on your bionic. If you are sick of android, WP is the way to go. Hopefully Verizon will get a better WP device soon.

I really hope Verizon gets something soon. Hoping for an announcement at MWC even though that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to announce there instead of CES. My GF is on Verizon and cracked her Trophy screen a little while back. I'm hesitant to get her a replacement (I had bought it on ebay used) but I may have to if they don't get something else soon.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

Lte is nice I get around 25mbps that I would miss

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Lte is nice I get around 25mbps that I would miss

You may miss that, but I stream netflix fine on 3G. If you like the platform though, any phone you go to next will likely have LTE. The lumia 900 & titan II are both LTE and coming in march, and verizon has stated they want all future devices to be LTE so whatever they get next will be LTE.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
You may miss that, but I stream netflix fine on 3G. If you like the platform though, any phone you go to next will likely have LTE. The lumia 900 & titan II are both LTE and coming in march, and verizon has stated they want all future devices to be LTE so whatever they get next will be LTE.

The lumia 900 looks fantastic. I also assume it will only be a few months before an lte wp7 reaches vzw

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I just moved from a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant to a Nokia 710 about 2 weeks ago. But I had upgrade Android to Gingerbread. Here are some thoughts:
  1. App selection: Android has a ton of more apps, PERIOD. But in all honesty, it doesn't mean very much. A lot of the applications and games are similiar. Every once in a while, something cool comes along. Amazon App has a free app of the day. Initially, I checked everyday to see what the free app is. But after a month or so, the apps wasn't that interesting anymore. The market is flooded with the same type of app.
  2. SD storage: On my Galaxy, there was a microSD slot, which I do miss at times. I wish WP supports this feature. I read that external card support on WP can be done, but just a pain in the butt.
  3. Response time/smoothness: For my daily use: phone and E-mails. The response time of changing from phone to/from E-mails is pretty good. The Galaxy sometimes has a delay, but then again, maybe my WP phone will be like that in a couple of years. I like the big tiles. On my start screen, I only have phone, Outlook, Hotmail, Calendar, weather, IE, and Evernote. This is all I need from my phone so everything is easy to get to. I also like how I can press-and-hold the back arrow key to bring up the other running tasks.
  4. Turning on/off Wifi/BT: I wish there's a quicker way to turn on/of Wifi and BT though, maybe I can't find it since I'm a noob here. But anyways, I hate having to goto Settings everytime. I wish there's a quicker way to turn it on/off.
  5. Phone choices: I just want a simple-ish phone. I don't need one a big screen or cameras with high pixel count or play HD movies. I have no use for those. My opinion is that the Android phone is becoming like a PC market. Motorola, Samsung, .... are all trying to market and out-do each other with the late specs. They're trying to distinguish their phone from each other. At the end of the day, I don't need all those high performance specs. Hardware and software will always get better from year to year.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Turning on/off Wifi/BT: I wish there's a quicker way to turn on/of Wifi and BT though, maybe I can't find it since I'm a noob here. But anyways, I hate having to goto Settings everytime. I wish there's a quicker way to turn it on/off.

Try downloading an app called "Connectivity Shortcuts" and pin it to your home screen. :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
To the op, you aren't losing anything by trying out the trophy off contract. I wouldn't use an upgrade on one right now, but if you got it you could get a good feel for the platform.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
To the op, you aren't losing anything by trying out the trophy off contract. I wouldn't use an upgrade on one right now, but if you got it you could get a good feel for the platform.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

Im now waiting for a response to finish the trade but hopefully in the next couple days ill have a trophy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo