Why I'm selling my Lumia 900 and buying a Focus (yes, first gen)

BlackSmythe

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the Lumia 900, but this camera stinks to high ****. Its way slower and less reliable than my Titan one. I could tolerate the speed if it at least put out images like an iPhone 4 or the Titan. The Nokia support and drive keeps me using it. But for things I like to do like snap images. SUCKS. Nice phone though.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sort of in the same situation. I actually started my own thread awhile back.

I don't blame you for taking a break from Windows Phone. I too am worried about the dropping resale value. I have a Dell Venue Pro, HTC Titan, and HTC Titan II that I am probably going to sell. Plus, the fact that I can't send or receive MMS messages on the HTCs really bothers me.

I really am going to miss Windows Phone, though. I'll probably be using an Samsung Exhibit II or an iPhone 4 in the meantime. I obviously won't like it, but 4 months? I think I'll manage.

I'll totally stick around WPCentral though. Got to stay informed about the latest rumors about WP8!

Oh, yeah that would make me a little upset. And, I AM STICKING WITH WINDOWS PHONE. I'm just exploring. I think I might go for the HTC One X and flash Jelly Bean to it. What goes from there will be discussed with the folks at AndroidCentral! Yes, I already created an account.

I already have an iPhone 4. It sucks. I'll plain out say it. But...it is nice to have the apps that I need.

And the Samsung Galaxy S III, I saw that commercial 17 times today in about 3 hours of TV. Didn't seem that the lumia was promoted that well.

Anyways, so long folks! I'll stick around, I'm just taking a quick exit. I'm coming back. But I'm taking a break.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
But enjoy the Android experience. I trust we will be seeing You again ;-)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

LMAO. Yes, you will. But I'm taking a break. And I will say DEAD straight. I'm watching android users. I'm studying their behavior towards Windows Phones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Funny that he's using more than one OS
I see you're using two OSes.

I had a BlackBerry 9700 before I got my Lumia 900. The 9700 was getting painful to use, especially its browser. It's in a drawer now, just kept as an emergency backup device.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

suvastallions

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I see you're using two OSes.

I had a BlackBerry 9700 before I got my Lumia 900. The 9700 was getting painful to use, especially its browser. It's in a drawer now, just kept as an emergency backup device.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Yes like you I'm using the BB as backup.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think anyone that are frequent board members on tech sites would be kidding themselves if they weren't interested in the competition. I own an Asus transformer tf300, but I won that in the android central competition. I see no problem with you exploring something else until wp8 comes out. And you're still using a windows device to boot so it is all good in my book

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sigh...

Unfortunately, everything that has been brought up here is legitimate. WP is a great OS that isn't as mature as Android or iOS, so it's advantages comes with huge compromises to some users. (The Nokia's 900 poor camera performance is a different issue.) It is sad to see, but I completely understand.

I expect WP 8 to be mature, with maybe the exception of apps which will still take some time to completely catch up to the other OS's. I am preparing for the worst case scenario of it being a disappointment by looking at Android ICS/Jellybean devices and seeing what I like and do not like about them. Simply put, your device has to work for you. It needs to do the things you want it to. Otherwise, you are short changing yourself.

Now, I am not giving up my Focus S until then, and WP8 sure seems to be ready to knock it out of the freaking ball park, do not get me wrong. I am excited. But, I do understand life tends to let you down every once in a while. Just want those bases covered in case it is a strike out.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So I was at my wife's baby shower this weekend when my cousin wanted to show me some pics on his iphone 4s. I was seriously kidding myself since April when I said that pics on a phone aren't a big deal. I have a nice DSLR camera that I took some good pics with, but I just wanted to snap a few shots and post them to facebook. That was not happening with the quality I got from my Lumia 900. if the lighting isn't good, the pics just suck.

Since then, my attention was driven elsewhere. Like the HTC One X. I'd never get an Iphone again, so the next best thing to me is in HTC phones. You may ask, why not get a Titan 2 then if I like HTC phones. Simply because I don't like the support (or lack there of) for the HTC Titan 2. My Lumia 900 works great and has decent battery life, but there are just some things in the WP7 echo system that bug the bageezus out of me. Like on the go play lists. I listen to alot of music, but I don't have time to make custom playlists on my computer all day. Saving a video to my phone from e-mail. Nope, I have to save the whole e-mail and move it to a folder for easier navigation. Those are just a couple things.

I'm sticking with my WP7 phone though. Overall I like it. I just hope that they REALLY think over this WP8 thing. You would have thought that with M$ sitting on the side lines for so long that they would have thought out their system a bit better. Are some of those devs living under a rock?

N4OSX

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Yuckers. Not me, I've owned every phone out there in the last two years (iPhone, Pre3, Nexus) and I sold them all and ended up on a N900 and Windows Phone. If you like dinking around with your OS, then yeah, Android is the way to go... but I just want one that works and works well. ;)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've never really seen any phone that holds it's resale value very well. I don't expect my L900 to be much difference. I don't usually give it too much though.

If an extra $75 of resale value on a smartphone that you're spending over $2000 in service over the course of a 2 year contract is your primary concern, then you should buy an iPhone. No other phone even comes close to holding their value as much as an iPhone does.

Again though, I'm a little puzzled as to why this would be a primary concern.

My phone cost me $0 after Nokia's generous refund. If I can sell it for $25 at the end of my contract, then that's awesome. $25 more than I had before.

Again, I'm spending more than 2000 DOLLARS on the phone contract over two years. Am I really going to make a decision about which phone to use based on resale value? No.

Hopefully you have better luck with Android than I did. Personally after my experience with 2 Android phones and an Android 3.0 tablet, it will be a long, long time before I would ever buy an Android device again.

I believe Google is making a real effort to take the quality of their product seriously for the first time since it's inception though, so some good should come of that.

Me? I'll be here with my L900 and I'll probably get a WP8 phone when my contract ends.

The only thing that could MAYBE get me to deviate from that plan is if the iPhone5 is truly amazing, but based upon how little innovation I've seen in iOS6, I'm not expecting much.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy Jelly Bean. The new notifications are excellent, and Google Now is awesome.

Do you like anything about Windows Phone at all, or do you just have some strange disorder that causes you to linger on a Windows Phone forum when all you do is complain about it and sing the praises of Android?

You're quite the mystery.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, yeah that would make me a little upset. And, I AM STICKING WITH WINDOWS PHONE. I'm just exploring. I think I might go for the HTC One X and flash Jelly Bean to it. What goes from there will be discussed with the folks at AndroidCentral! Yes, I already created an account.

I already have an iPhone 4. It sucks. I'll plain out say it. But...it is nice to have the apps that I need.

And the Samsung Galaxy S III, I saw that commercial 17 times today in about 3 hours of TV. Didn't seem that the lumia was promoted that well.

Anyways, so long folks! I'll stick around, I'm just taking a quick exit. I'm coming back. But I'm taking a break.

How many phones are you people carrying around with you??? :straight:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How many phones are you people carrying around with you??? :straight:
Apparently, most of these people need to carry multiple phones because no one phone satisfies their every need. I think that's true of most people that use smartphones. The fact of the matter is, each device has strengths, and weaknesses, that other devices lack. I admit that I had a fling with another OS recently but I came back to WP7. It's not perfect but it's the most complete OS for me. Sure, it could be better and I'm hoping WP8 addresses some of the shortcomings but I'm not going to go all Rambo if they don't. Who knows? Maybe the webOS Open Source Project yields an OS developers will embrace mightily and garner OEM support.

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have tons of phones, the lumia, my focus flash, and quantum *sigh* just to name daily drivers.

However, I've been sorta worried lately. Worried about WP8 and how my lumia's resale value will drop-big time.

I just sent my Lumia 900 into repair for a camera button lock screen issue and the camera itself displays blue lines during picture taking. As it sounds, Nokia might just send me a new phone. Not for me though.

Why? I'm selling it. I love the phone, best phone ever, but...

I'm switching to the first generation Samsung Focus. I simply love the design and it is really easy for me to hold and type on (the best WP yet for that).

Now your sitting there going, "WTF? He bought a first generation device over the lumia? That's messed up."

I only paid $36.17. With shipping and everything.

It's worth it to me.

And...I can't lie here...I'm taking a break from Windows Phones. Sure, I'll still be using a Windows Phone-but .... drumroll please ... I'm switching to the Google Galaxy Nexus.

Android isn't as nice as the Windows Phone, but I feel the need to explore. I already own an iPhone. Jelly Bean looks-really good.

I even bought a matching Nexus 7 tablet (which btw STILL hasn't shipped and I ordered July 3rd).

So long Windows Phone! Until November.
still holding onto my samsung focus 1st gen waiting for wp8, I love the phone and definitely can see why you would make this decision.

For the record no I don't think your crazy!!!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I like the Lumia 900, but this camera stinks to high ****.
It's such a shame, especially coming off the N8 (and even the N9 apparently wasn't too bad). I hope Nokia's WP8 lineup packs a N8-like sensor for the Lumia 800/900 successors. I think it would be very smart of them to reuse that sensor (which still smokes the competition) on their mass-market flagships, then ship a dedicated PureView device with a more radical design.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
It's such a shame, especially coming off the N8 (and even the N9 apparently wasn't too bad). I hope Nokia's WP8 lineup packs a N8-like sensor for the Lumia 800/900 successors. I think it would be very smart of them to reuse that sensor (which still smokes the competition) on their mass-market flagships, then ship a dedicated PureView device with a more radical design.

I think that the Lumia 900's camera is the same or very similar to the one that is in the N9, so it might be a software thing. I mean, didn't people complain about the image quality on the 800 then Nokia did an update?

The only two reasons I can think as to why Nokia didn't reuse the 12MP sensor from the N8 is the 12MP either didn't fit, or possibly to save costs.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that the Lumia 900's camera is the same or very similar to the one that is in the N9, so it might be a software thing. I mean, didn't people complain about the image quality on the 800 then Nokia did an update?

The only two reasons I can think as to why Nokia didn't reuse the 12MP sensor from the N8 is the 12MP either didn't fit, or possibly to save costs.
I believe they are identical, which means there are some fiddly software issues.

I too think the N8 module wouldn't have fit. However, it's less obtrusive than the PureView camera and in many cases can hold its own against PureView, so I'd like to see the thinner mainstream models take some inspiration from it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss