Want to hear your thoughts.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Had an S3. Very nice phone, well built, great battery life for an adroid device, great camera and camera features.

In the end, it's still and android where you have to be super careful when downloading apps becuase google gives developer so much access to your phone and you are recommened to get a security app. Ad's galore just about everywhere and even on your home-screen and notification bar with some apps. Yes the S3 has 2GB of memory but that doesn't stop the phone from locking up at least once a week.

I found myself constantly managing my running apps and clearing memory on it. I felt like I was managing my phone to run the way I want it to more than I was actually using it.

Again, in the end... it's still and android no matter how nice the hardware is.

I'm using an HTC Rezound with ice cream sandwich. I have been using it probably two months and I've yet to experience it locking up and I don't clear memory or manage apps on it. Not sure why your experience on a phone much newer than my in so much different.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
like others said i would wait, but just curious, have you tried factory reset the phone just to see if fixes the first two issues? the battery u can't do much about other then getting an external battery to carry you through the day, upside to that is u can use that battery for your next phone as well :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Two instances from today and yesterday.
Yesterday: Was talking to the HR of my organisation on the phone(not my mobile but a land line) and had to calculate something. Took me more than two minutes to find the calculator. :p
Requested her to wait twice till I finally found the calci icon from the heap of icons.

Today: in a client meeting, the client suddenly started giving notes. Thought I will be cool and type it on my phone. Till the time I could find/start and write, the dictation was over and we had moved on to PPT gazing.

Now I love WP8 even more.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
What apps was that? I never had any problem with any apps on my galaxy s 2. The access that android devs have = fantastic apps. Much better quality and functionality than a lot of other apps.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

There are a few. I dont quite understand how giving more access to your phone means better apps. For instance why does A game need to know my location? So it can personalize ads for me? Yeah I want that!! I love random devs trying to get access to my personal info. I actually pay attention to what apps have access to. Most people dont.

I just cant stand android. Personal preference. I had a buddy finally get smartphone a couple weeks ago. He hates apple snd never heard of wp. I told him he should get an iphone or a wp. He said he wanted android and wouldnt take anythingn else. He got an S2. Hates it because of the terrible battery life and the ads on just about every free app. Out of his return date. He wants my lumia 900 and im gonna sell it to him when wp8 comes out.

Ever notice how android is the only smartphone platform with mobile Nornton Security, AVG security, McAffe Security and Lookout Security apps? Because the average joe doesnt know how to clean up all the spam on their phones that apps save to your device. Oh and android is the most hacked OS.

None of the reviews I've read (AC, Verge, Engadget, Brighthand, Anandtech) have mentioned any traditional Android instability in the S3, or even the HOX for that matter. ICS seems to do a much cleaner job of managing memory resources than prior versions of Android. If you were "constantly managing" your apps and clearing memory on an ICS device with 2GB RAM, you were wasting your time unnecessarily.

Regarding the OP, I'd definitely wait. Two dates are circled on my calendar: 9/5 and 9/12. If both Nokia and Apple fail to impress, I'll likely join the Android sheeple and get an S3. (Although $99 for a HOX on AT&T would be really hard to pass up.)

So i actually owned an s3 and you just want to tell me i am wrong? Also you apparently believe the hardware makes the software better? Ummm ok. No point in even trying to have a logical convo here lol.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Two instances from today and yesterday.
Yesterday: Was talking to the HR of my organisation on the phone(not my mobile but a land line) and had to calculate something. Took me more than two minutes to find the calculator. :p
Requested her to wait twice till I finally found the calci icon from the heap of icons.

Today: in a client meeting, the client suddenly started giving notes. Thought I will be cool and type it on my phone. Till the time I could find/start and write, the dictation was over and we had moved on to PPT gazing.

Now I love WP8 even more.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

WP8 is going to take over the blackberry and business market easily with outlook integration and skype calls. The casual mobile user? Who knows. But for business there is going to be nothing better.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So i actually owned an s3 and you just want to tell me i am wrong? Also you apparently believe the hardware makes the software better? Ummm ok. No point in even trying to have a logical convo here lol.
Owning a Mercedes didn't make me an expert Mercedes mechanic, even though I knew how to operate it. Look, one of the oldest and most stubborn myths about Android is that you must actively manage running apps to conserve memory and keep Android running well. It's even less true with ICS. With the S3, which has double the RAM of most Android devices, it's even more of a waste of time to worry about memory management. And yes, hardware can indeed make the software better. Increasing the available RAM and the processor cores are just two hardware-based methods for improving the software experience for the user, whether the software in question is Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, webOS, WP7, etc etc. There's nothing "logical" about insisting otherwise.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Owning a Mercedes didn't make me an expert Mercedes mechanic, even though I knew how to operate it. Look, one of the oldest and most stubborn myths about Android is that you must actively manage running apps to conserve memory and keep Android running well. It's even less true with ICS. With the S3, which has double the RAM of most Android devices, it's even more of a waste of time to worry about memory management. And yes, hardware can indeed make the software better. Increasing the available RAM and the processor cores are just two hardware-based methods for improving the software experience for the user, whether the software in question is Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, webOS, WP7, etc etc. There's nothing "logical" about insisting otherwise.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

LOL you completely missed the point.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm trying to run Crysis on my laptop with 256k of ram, integrated graphics card, and a 2G hard drive. I'm pretty sure better hardware would make this experience better.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Instance 3:

Today, got down from the bus and the street lights suddenly decided to conk off. The road ahead was completely dark. Was on the foot path.

Stopped and again looked through my Android's heap of icons, page after page for the flash app. Nope. Never got it till I reached my building elevator. Had to just use the screen light on the streets.

Yes WP8, I love u. Just don't b super expensive.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If other carriers are an option, the upcoming Droid Razr HD is another one to consider.

FWIW, my S3 has never locked up on me. I don't micro manage cpu or memory, don't use any task killers or anti-virus. There are a couple of very good ad blocking apps, also.

Good luck w/your choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Instance 3:

Stopped and again looked through my Android's heap of icons, page after page for the flash app. Nope. Never got it till I reached my building elevator. Had to just use the screen light on the streets.

lol, i had to use my screen light back when i was using win mobile to get across a small forest to get home at night a couple years ago, it has got to be the scariest thing ive had to do... 50 degree decline and then a (seems like) 60 degree incline, almost killed myself that night had i tripped

i must say, finding apps on wp is so much easier than other platforms

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Look, one of the oldest and most stubborn myths about Android is that you must actively manage running apps to conserve memory and keep Android running well.

ummm.... no, and here is the reason why, people write crappy apps, and new programmers tend to cause even bigger issues (not their fault, just inexperienced) and here is the fun part, android has full "true" multitasking, and speaking from experience with my friend's androids including my sisters, if u get an app that runs in the background doing really stupid things then this "true" multitasking will give u the finger about this "don't manage ur memory"

if the apps u use are well written than no problem, and i'll agree with u, but it's when bad apps get downloaded things go bad

iOS' way of multitasking (along with that wp as well) is much better at this as apps don't get to run in the background "all" the time, now i agree with the fact that not managing it is better, but on android it just seems eventually u'll get forced into doing it anyways

just a side note, this is kind of like when the camera app is open in wp and u lock ur cell, the camera app remains open and drains ur battery, im not sure if this is still true though, probably fixed (this was a while back)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
lol, i had to use my screen light back when i was using win mobile to get across a small forest to get home at night a couple years ago, it has got to be the scariest thing ive had to do... 50 degree decline and then a (seems like) 60 degree incline, almost killed myself that night had i tripped

i must say, finding apps on wp is so much easier than other platforms

Exactly. That's y I have realized this early in the day. When a dark street can teach you...I don't need to go through a forest to learn the same. :p Just saying....

Yes, I am now realizing how functionality vs dual-quad core/big app store/a-phone-a-week is nowhere in competition.

Miss the fast, I-get-it-when-I-want-it style WP. :(

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm trying to run Crysis on my laptop with 256k of ram, integrated graphics card, and a 2G hard drive. I'm pretty sure better hardware would make this experience better.

First of all, a game is not an OS. This is basic software knowledge. Im surprised you didnt know that.

Second of all a game built for an OS may have hardware requirements that differ from what you currently have. Trying to run say Angry Birds on a G1 as opposed to a galaxy s3 there will be a huge difference in performance. An OS is an OS the comparison you are making is like saying ou are trying to put jet fuel in your Honda Civic. What Im saying is you can have a Civic and a Corolla and it doesnt matter that they are different cars, they both take unleaded gas. However one may get better gas milage than the other.

Two phones that use the same os... One may run it better but it doesnt mean its not still using the same buggy OS. Get it now?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon