Sold my Lumia 920 moving to HTC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I really understand how you feel except for the fact that I'm on T-Mobile and never get a chance to play with the good Nokia phones on AT&T. The Nokia Lumia 920 is the best phone period only hampered by a growing OS. How Microsoft and Nokia would allow the best phone to get tied down to one carrier two times over is enough to make me want to leave the platform. Not everyone wants to switch. I'm waiting for Nokia's next announcement and its hard because I'm pondering switching to AT&T because honestly the 920 is everything I need in a phone and one I could settle down with(do people do that anymore?) and I would not feel the need to get something new even if it was better. The camera is just gorgeous. The optical image stabilization is amazing. But alas, I will wait to see if (1) T-Mobile will finally get a flagship Nokia device (2)see how good the production unit of the HTC One's camera really is (3)see if Nokia really does announce a 41 megapixel Pureview device that will make me switch to AT&T anyway. That's my take.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I gave windows phone a chance and I did it twice. Once with the Samsung Focus and Now with the Lumia 920. Unfortunately, Windows Phone failed to deliver, the selection of apps sucks, key apps like instagram missing. Lack of a proper separate volume control center and notification center. They promised it would be different this time and they failed to deliver yet again. Bye Windows Phone you had potential, I don't think Ill ever come back but who knows... I said the same when I switched from the Samsung Focus when it came out. There are many tiny things that this OS is missing which collectively turns me off(ie terrible Skype app with missing basic features such as signing out, garbage facebook(can't edit/delete comments)). The all new HTC One seems what Im exactly looking for, a true premium android phone with class.

I really enjoyed the Lumia 920 don't get me wrong. I hope Nokia wakes up and moves on from this dead beat OS or I guess they can wait...until MS wakes up and starts listening to it's consumers. I wish the best for Nokia as they make one of the best looking phones, the feel amazing and their innovation rocks. Look at Blackberry 10... they made it so easy for apps to port and now they will have more apps in their marketplace than windows phone and they just launched.

Good luck with your new phone...
I have to laugh that you would go with HTC as I will never go back to their subpar hardware and support. They are barely better than Samsung who have the attitude "sell it and forget it"...
The only hardware I would buy from Android would be Motorola but Google have really let them fall to pieces...they used to have awesome battery life and rock solid hardware and not bad support...

Nokia kicks ass.

I do understand if there is an app you are missing and you must have it but it seems you are just not liking windows phone in general. I could not move from Windows Phone myself...it's just so much more effiicient for 90% of what I do...

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
You can only pin the issues on Microsoft to a certain extent. I mean, it took a full year to get the first update on my Android device. I got my first Windows Phone update after about a month. We're looking at maybe getting 2 or 3 MORE meaningful updates (allegedly) within the first year of the OS's release--partially because the OS needs it, partially because Microsoft is willing to push those updates out.

But really, nothing HTC's One offers is worth a switch, in my opinion. HTC just does such a terrible job in long-term support of devices (Android OEMs as a WHOLE have this issue) that I wouldn't want to take the risk of getting a device, have the hardware outdated in 3 months, then have support end after 6-12 months.

You are spot on...I've had numerous HTC hardware from the days of Windows Mobile to Android and Windows Phone...I always found their support horrible here in Canada and they rarely updated software on Android...always blaming the carriers...
I have to agree with Moto but Google seem to be letting them die...they used to be rock solid...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You'll be back. Android right after Windows Phone shows you just how more refined the experience is off of Google. You shouldn't have to root your phone for it to be great. You shouldn't have to worry about future updates not being compatible. My Droid Eris stopped at 2.1 and it was released around 2010. I had a Photon on Sprint that was stuck on Gingerbread. My Droid Incredible could technically run higher versions of the OS but not smoothly. Personally I would have stayed on WP 7.5/7.8 but I like new hardware. Always have. Windows Phone is still young. Plenty of time to mature.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Now don't even start. As much as I dislike fragmentation, and as much as my time on Android (2010-2012) was a mess, DON'T sit there and rag Android for fragmentation. Fragmentation is actually WORSE on Windows Phone, given the fact that the hardware from 2010 until late-2012 can't upgrade to Windows Phone 8, meaning a LOT of stuff gets left out on those devices. Then throw in the exclusivity agreement Nokia has with EA and Chillingo, and you see MANY big-name apps and games that are on Nokia devices ONLY.

Fragmentation on Android can be worked around, and its ULTIMATE negatives aren't THAT great (when I was on Gingerbread, I can't recall a SINGLE time I was denied an attempt to install an app or game). Again, fragmentation has a whole sucks, and I don't ever want to go back to Android (for multiple reasons), but to sit and call Android trash for being fragmented while support Windows Phone is just about the FURTHEST extreme of the pot calling the kettle black that you can achieve.

Not going to argue with you but you are plain wrong...WP7 is still being updated (update coming out next month I have heard)...they changed their root kernal completely...however, all during the time every phone received updates, even today...My old focus which is over 2 years old just got 7.8

Compared to Android where most devices are 2-3 revisions behind and on top of that you have HTC putting their crap make-up on top of android...bleh

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I'll refuse to try to persuade you to stay with Windows Phone and instead ask you to think twice before switching phones and platforms. Do you really hate the experience with your Lumia 920 to a major degree?

Not trying to influence your decision like some of these obsessed fanboys. Just curious, is all.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
It's going to a long time before every app that gives you iEnvy is on WP. Remember that it took InstaGrime a LONG time to even get to Android. I personally see no need for that app, but if you do, you gotta do what you gotta do.

If I were to bail it would be because MICROSOFT can't get its OWN friggin apps on the platform. Pssst...I'm talking to you, Photosynth and Skype. Meanwhile they keep updating the competition versions of those apps. Ugh. It's sad that if you want the best from Microsoft that you need to leave Microsoft.

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
obsessed fanboys

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Can't blame the OP. If you are an app person, Windows Phone 8 isn't for you yet. Missing some pretty major apps. I am not an app person myself so the lack of some essential apps is not that important to me. I use all types of phones from the original Android HTC G1 to the lastest Nexus 4. Also all iPhones and many blackberries along with the Lumia 900 and now the Lumia 920.

Unfortunately both Nokia and Microsoft (along with ATT) have backed themselves into the corner by selling the Lumia 900/920 at $450 MSRP and $99 on contract (it can be much cheaper on contract at various third party resellers). In addition to giving away a $50 wireless charger, it seems an act of desperation.

The Lumia 920 hardware wise in on par with all the "premium phones". In my opinion the 4.5 inch IPS LCD is the best for text reading (even better than the iPhone 5). The speakers are great. We all know Nokia makes great antennas along with a very good GPS software. And the camera is excellent. We all know it's the best shooter for low light conditions.

But Windows 8 is still "not there yet". And to add the numberous problems with the Lumia 920 (on the software side). I personally experienced a bricked Lumia 920 from the infamous reset. Yeah, I know there is a work around. But It's been 3 plus months. Nokia and or Microsoft have to acknowledged this known bug. I just can't believe they haven't officially come out and say don't reset your phone until we figure some things out. And just this morning. Lumia was supposely dead after a night on the wireless charger. I had to do a soft reset to get it up and running.

Battery life is so so. It's got to be some type of software bug. I don't run many apps. And I disable all the apps that run in the background. I'll tough it out with the Lumia for another few weeks. It's not my main phone anyways. I have the iPhone 5 still. The Nexus 4 had it's fair share of issues as well. So I wanted to mention other phones have their issues as well.

Brandon Edwards

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
One problem with the major apps is that they are stuck in Apple land. Most of these developers use APL devices for their daily drivers, they have a distain for anything not APL(Android, WP), and they do want to see any other platform succeed at the expense of their base. I understand that.If you are in this Dev thing to make money, then you need to do all you can across all platforms. So its not just that MS hasn't done enough to get the "Majors" on the platform, they do not want to be on the platform. I think everyone understands that if, a big if, WP7/8 had the "major" up to date games and apps (Instagram, Pintrest ...) Android and iOS would have a stronger competitor. The hardware and OS are better than APL and Android. Alas, we are here now pushing to get more majors and high quality applications. This is why the "best" is not always number one. If it was number one, I probably would like it. A strong second is good enough.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
One problem with the major apps is that they are stuck in Apple land. Most of these developers use APL devices for their daily drivers, they have a distain for anything not APL(Android, WP), and they do want to see any other platform succeed at the expense of their base. I understand that.If you are in this Dev thing to make money, then you need to do all you can across all platforms. So its not just that MS hasn't done enough to get the "Majors" on the platform, they do not want to be on the platform. I think everyone understands that if, a big if, WP7/8 had the "major" up to date games and apps (Instagram, Pintrest ...) Android and iOS would have a stronger competitor. The hardware and OS are better than APL and Android. Alas, we are here now pushing to get more majors and high quality applications. This is why the "best" is not always number one. If it was number one, I probably would like it. A strong second is good enough.
You know, for about a half a year now I have thought about getting a WP8 device. But I am going with the OP in getting An HTC ONE or An LG Optimus G. Why? Because no one seems to care about WP8. Even sony is going for Firefox OS, but not WP8? It's just getting ridiculous. I thought about maybe WP apps will get better, but then I realized, if ANY OS will get better for apps,(First) it will be Android, not WP8. I feel like after years of looking at WP it just hasn't progressed fast enough. It feels stagnant. And it's not Nokia's fault. The real issue is Microsoft. Mobile is the future of computing, yet MS seems to be more concerned with office 365, and Windows 8 for touch screen PCs. For a HUGE corporation that once owned the computing world, Microsoft needs to step it up. Granted I think the UI is nice, but it ends there.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm with the original poster.... Just ordered my Nexus 4 today.... My 920 and Surface RT will be on eBay this weekend....

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're going Android, either get the S4 or go Nexus. Better yet, wait for the Motorola X phone. That'll blow all other Android phones away. It'll have the best hardware out there as well as Nexus-like rapid updates. If you get an S4 or the one, you'll have to rely on ROMs and unlocked bootloaders in order to update your OS.

I have to say, I'm anti-Nexus. First off, I don't like the removal of the buttons at the bottom--putting them on the screen is a detriment, in my opinion. The low level of storage and lack of SD and LTE support is also really sad, particularly the LTE matter. I mean, many (myself included) ragged on the lack of LTE in the iPhone 4S, yet people are all over the Nexus 4, which is missing that feature a year later. It's just not an impressive piece of hardware.

As for Motorola, I'll again disagree. The internals will likely mimic those of those other high-end phones at the time of release, meaning the same CPU and GPU, most likely (it might be that the next Samsung devices go Exynos 5, while the non-Samsungs go Snapdragon 800, we'll see). The display will likely be in the same range of size as the competition, probably in the 4.5"-4.8" ballpark. The resolution is almost certainly going to be 1080p, though it might settle with the Lumia 920's 1280x768. The RAM will probably be 2 GB, and the storage will almost certainly be 16 GB with microSD support. Smartphones REALLY don't experience variety when it comes to hardware. They mostly use the same sets of parts, with the display and body being the only areas of variation.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yada yada yada, goodbye!! Have fun with Android EEEEEEK!

Seriously getting tired of these posts. They're pointless. Everyone has their personal flavor, but you don't need to make a tweet or post about it every time you make a decision.

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm Also jumping ship with OP when one launches, I wanted to Give WP8 a try after watching the release keynote ms did. WP8 only has a new ui and fluidness nothing really else attractive. Im not really an big time app user but MS is doing terrible with ads,awareness. its just a travesty how such a big company do nothing. WP7 was a disaster, even though mango somehow kept it alive, its been almost 3 years!!!!, you would think they would wakeup. To be honest if nokia didnt put all its eggs with one basket there probably would not be a wp8.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else find it completely strange that when a black hole devours a large star it spews particles and radiation at a violent rate? Almost like a jet stream.
I was really perplexed about this for a while because I figured nothing escapes a black hole.

There is a tie in here to this thread.. Hold on.

You see the Lumia line of phones is like a black hole. It just sucks everything in within its reach and does so violently. The violence comes from the rapid technological advances and software support from the manufacturer. It is so violent in fact that some matter just can't handle the gravity of the sheer innovation force and they are spewed out of its grasps after it has latched on. But here is why those particles are lost.. They are spewed right before the event horizon, the point of no return. Its too late for me, I have passed the event horizon.

But I see where you are coming from.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs