12-18-2013 12:11 AM
70 123
tools
    I think UI wise, both of them practically adheres to each platform's style. So its just a matter of preference.
    I disagree that Nokia Drive adheres to the metro style guidelines... anywhere. As far as I can tell, Nokia Drive is actually based on the Symbian navigation app more than it is based on metro. If I have the time, I think I might try and design an alternative that does conform to the metro design language.
    04-21-2013 06:45 AM
    It boils down to which of these two has your area covered better. Where I live there are no Nokia Maps, but Google Maps are insanely detailed. Also being an iPhone user I can tell you that it's NOT that awesome with Google Maps here. Sure the app itself is fantastic and runs circles around the Apple Maps app, but it is a third party app and therefore limited like any other third party app. Any map related thing on the iPhone will revert to the built in Apple Maps, that's the disadvantage of not having Google Maps built in.
    04-21-2013 06:49 AM
    let me guess, frustrated 8X owner here?
    hahahah lol
    04-21-2013 07:32 AM
    However, with these two screenshots what you are forgetting is design minimalism and OS philosophies.
    No, I'm not forgetting that. I'm just not being clear. ;-)

I didn't want to suggest that ND (Nokia Drive) should look more like iOS or Google maps. I likely appreciate the simplistic and minimalistic approach just as much as you do. I'd also be completely against ND receiving more chrome. My point is, that minimalism and design aren't mutually exclusive, yet to my eyes, ND wasn't explicitly designed at all. I'd bet that ND was designed by programmers, not designers. I think a designer could do better. That is all I'm saying.

Despite appreciating simplicity, I also feel that the graphical rendering is sometimes too simple. For example, in night mode at large intersections, all the crossing roads can easily melt into a large and unidentifiable grey blob. This doesn't happen often in U.S. cities, as they tend to follow a geometric layout, but in European cities I see it quite often. All you can do is guess on which of those lanes that blue line actually lies. This is too simple. This is so minimal it compromises functionality.

And then there is the lack of polish. ND lunges from frame to frame at an unseemly 3 FPS. That is one of the issues I'd place in this category. Together with the lack of anti-aliasing.

It boils down to which of these two has your area covered better.
    Yes, agree. Yet this thread was made out to be all about the looks, not about functionality.
    04-21-2013 07:36 AM

I didn't want to suggest that ND (Nokia Drive) should look more like iOS or Google maps. I likely appreciate the simplistic and minimalistic approach just as much as you do. I'd also be completely against ND receiving more chrome. My point is, that minimalism and design aren't mutually exclusive, yet to my eyes, ND wasn't explicitly designed at all. I'd bet that ND was designed by programmers, not designers. I think a designer could do better. That is all I'm saying.

Despite appreciating simplicity, I also feel that the graphical rendering is sometimes too simple. For example, in night mode at large intersections, all the crossing roads can easily melt into a large and unidentifiable grey blob. This doesn't happen often in U.S. cities, as they tend to follow a geometric layout, but in European cities I see it quite often. All you can do is guess on which of those lanes that blue line actually lies. This is too simple. This is so minimal it compromises functionality.

And then there is the lack of polish. ND lunges from frame to frame at an unseemly 3 FPS. That is one of the issues I'd place in this category. Together with the lack of anti-aliasing.

Yes, agree. Yet this thread was made out to be all about the looks, not about functionality.
    But wasn't your original screenshot post talking about designs of the two? and OP mentioned UI along with functionality! - I am not debating functionality at all. I am happy to admit that 5-6 years old OSs are feature-rich, they would be damned if they weren't (BB anyone?) but when it comes to UI/design - if the voting goes up with the purpose of the app and each platform's design language, I would hope it is a close call! For what a navigation app is meant to do, the design is sufficient but functionality can be improved in the OS which is only 2 years old and I hope it doesn't take 4 more years to reach where other OSs have reached. It should be quarter of that time at best!
    04-21-2013 08:17 AM
    I think these apps' design sensibilities also clearly reflect different heritages. Nokia HERE Drive seems to draw a straight line back to traditional freestanding or in-dash navigation units. Conversely, Google Maps was born as a desktop tool for exploration.
    04-21-2013 08:38 AM

the melt together thing was an issue earlier but now they provide supplement highlight at the bottom made problem away. Although if it can auto zoom at that point would be even better. But again we don't know whats criteria did they had for cpu workload.
    04-21-2013 10:08 AM
    Strange but if you have nokia why are you posting here ? shouldn't you be posting in Apple forum to highlight your experience and making people happier. We don't post in apple forum as we don't care about what happens in their world :)
    Arent you being extreme? I thought this was Mobile Nations. I love seeing what is happening in all forums, have an idea what other platforms are like, because we love mobile tech. I use an iPhone BTW. Whats if we all chat with each other more, we might be able to find ways to better the platforms we prefer together instead of silly comparisons and "mine is better than yours" arguments. The editors on these sites are all pretty good friends..
    04-21-2013 10:23 AM
    If I had to choose between those two photos, I would pick the one from Here Drive, simple and clear. The other one has too much eye candy and... old? I'd go for offline navigation functionality than eye candy design in a hear beat.
    Last edited by biboyflip; 04-21-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    04-21-2013 01:32 PM
    ** double post
    Last edited by biboyflip; 04-21-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    04-21-2013 01:42 PM

+10000

And this gets me back to the original intent of this thread - shouldn't Microsoft have made its own app? I don't care if they use Nokia's data, and I don't care if Nokia wants to develop Drive+ if they feel it offers something special. But with them basically relying on Nokia to supply this app, we have situations like non-Lumia users having zero decent options for navigation until Nokia got around to releasing it to them. And even then, like I and a few others here feel, they get an app that's good overall but has much less polish and lacks important features like rerouting based on traffic conditions. That's unacceptable if Microsoft wants to play with the big boys.
    04-21-2013 02:23 PM
    If a had to choose between those 2 images, I'd pick the one from Here Drive, simple and straightforward. The other one has too much eye candy and... old? I would go for offline navigation functionality than "cute design" anytime.
    How about this then? That's great design.

google-maps-ios-1024x643.jpg
    04-21-2013 02:27 PM
    I disagree that Nokia Drive adheres to the metro style guidelines... anywhere. As far as I can tell, Nokia Drive is actually based on the Symbian navigation app more than it is based on metro. If I have the time, I think I might try and design an alternative that does conform to the metro design language.
    No, Metro is about flat design which Here Drive is. While there are standard types of navigation and UI elements in Metro that Here Drive does not follow, Here Drive is still very authentic to the Metro language. Some types off apps like navigation would not work with classic Metro navigation methods.

Here Drive is a beautiful app, and feels like it belongs on a Windows Phone.
    04-21-2013 02:43 PM
    How about this then? That's great design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google-maps-ios-1024x643.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	32669
    Again, at least for me, OFFLINE functionality trumps great ("graphic") design. With Here Drive (or Here Maps), you rely on nothing else but your phone. It's built-in and that gives you confidence wherever you may be. I can't say the same for Google/Apple maps which both heavily depend on good data connection.
    04-21-2013 02:57 PM
    No, Metro is about flat design which Here Drive is. While there are standard types of navigation and UI elements in Metro that Here Drive does not follow, Here Drive is still very authentic to the Metro language. Some types off apps like navigation would not work with classic Metro navigation methods.

Here Drive is a beautiful app, and feels like it belongs on a Windows Phone.
    While I don't think Drive is ugly, there is Metro done well, and then there is Metro done not so well. Drive falls into the latter for me.
    04-21-2013 03:14 PM
    +10000

And this gets me back to the original intent of this thread - shouldn't Microsoft have made its own app? I don't care if they use Nokia's data, and I don't care if Nokia wants to develop Drive+ if they feel it offers something special. But with them basically relying on Nokia to supply this app, we have situations like non-Lumia users having zero decent options for navigation until Nokia got around to releasing it to them. And even then, like I and a few others here feel, they get an app that's good overall but has much less polish and lacks important features like rerouting based on traffic conditions. That's unacceptable if Microsoft wants to play with the big boys.
    This essentially is Microsofts app anyway now as all WPs come with HERE Maps and not Bing Maps! Microsoft gave Bing Maps but then found way superior alternative from one of their partners so decided not to waste resources on that element of OS.
    04-23-2013 08:37 AM
    I don't like Google as a company and switched from an Android phone to WP8 (HTX 8x). Even with my biases, I have to agree that the Android navigation experience is far superior.

With my Android phone, I would touch the little mic on my home screen, speak "Navigate to 4052 S 49th Street", and the phone would find the address and start the navigation app. It was easy to see a complete list of directions at any time.

With WP8, I have to:
    1. Start Bing maps
    2. Hit the "search" button
    2. Try to find the address by voice, but MSFT voice recognition isn't good. It will put "4052 S Forty Ninth Street" in the search bar and not find the addresss.
    3. Type in address by hand
    4. (If more than one possibility) touch the stupid little icon on the screen to expand to an address, and then touch again to open
    5. Choose to drive using app
    6. Start the app

HERE by Nokia has the potential to be great, but I find it unusable right now. I do not have a good sense of direction and need directions like "Turn right on Walker", not "Turn Right". I also need to bee the whole set of direction lists.

WP8 is really nice, but it's navigation options are bad.
    04-23-2013 06:39 PM
    I use MapQuest a lot
    07-15-2013 09:51 PM
    While I don't like the look of Here Drive/Nokia Drive, I really like some of the features it does bring. I don't have to open apps, there's offline navigation, you can change the voice, and it shows your speed limit
    07-25-2013 07:47 AM
    Is Lumia's City Lens the same thing as LiveSight on the other non-Nokia Window Phone?
    12-18-2013 12:11 AM
70 123