Sheep!

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I don't know if its ok to post this here, but its absolutely funny and want to share it.

I have an 8X, and absolutely love it. Its my 'sexy beast', My wife however, has an iPhone 4S, or had. It has been lagging and stuttering and freezing up on her for the past 3 months. Well, she couldn't take it anymore.

She calls me from the Verizon store, tells me she got a new phone. As much as she has been admitting she really likes my phone, my first thought was she got a windows phone. Nope, the iPhone 5.

Anyway, I get home and she is setting it up. Really happy that it automatically converted everything from her old to her new, including the location of pages and icons, etc. Then she notices, "Wait, I have an extra row I can use for icons?", "yea" I tell her, "didn't you know?"

"No, thats just awesome!" she replies. I stand there with a deer in the headlight look. She asks me "What?!" I then tell her "Your excited about that, an extra row?" she said "Yea, I can have more on my first screen, and have fewer screens!"

Ugh, I turn and walk away, 'baaa'ing' as I go. As Steve Correl said in 'Evan Almighty', "SHEEP!"

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol, @ the 3rd paragraph. What can you do, its your wife? She may have fallen for the logo but at least she's happy with her purchase. Maybe one day she will see the light.

She's probably just comfortable with the apps and setup. Change is a mf.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's an amusing story. Though I can see where she's coming from. She's going for what she's used to and what works for her. I consider iSheep people the ones camping outside waiting for the 'next miracle device'.

I'm not a big fan of the mobile phone wars myself. I believe to each their own. I don't own and never will own anything Apple. I thinking of selling my Note 2 tablet and buying a Surface so I can have MS everything but I need to see how much it weighs first as my wife will be using it more than me. Though I do like the Note 2.

That being said, I think all OS platforms have good and bad points. I didn't look into WP8 enough prior to getting my 920. I'm slightly disappointed with it but I'm waiting to see what updates bring before I make any final judgement on it.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I did laugh LOL because sometimes spouses are not on the same technology page! My husband just got his first full touch smartphone 6 months ago, and he wasn't pleased with it at all. I was trying to tell him that he can sync his email and so many other things that he couldn't do before. He just looks at me and shrugs his shoulders. I just don't think technology impresses him...oh well. To each its own. :)

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
WP and Android blows up things :) , there is no advantage of 4.5 inch in 920 over 3.7 inch in 620 for apps and games (apart from blowing them up)

I hope MS launches new scaling system based on screen size.

Last edited by a moderator:

rob45

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have an 8X which I love too. I gave my wife my old 4S. She is a non-techie who hates "settings" so it works out well.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Eh... To each her own. It's funny, though, how she's an iPhone fan but had no idea about the extra row of icons on the TALLER iPhone 5. LOL

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Lol...my wife was excited when she went from iPhone 3g to iPhone 5 for exact same reason. I tell her she's cute, smack her ****, smirk at her sheepness and move on. As long as she's happy.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I was a windows-phone fan. I had no idea that there is no screen lock orientation.I had no idea there was no universal phone search. I had no idea that i cant set a custom tone for my IMs. I had no idea the notification sound for facebook , twitter , whatsapp etc. CANNOT be changed. I had no idea there isn't a way to exit an app directly (you have to constantly press the back button to exit an app). I had no idea that in order to toggle vibrate i would have to go into settings every time. I could go on....

sigh I had no idea that a windows-phone would be so far behind the competition. Wish i was a sheep :(

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Orientation lock is application based. Everything else you brought up is true but I have missed none of those things. I guess I don't live by needing to know by sound whether it was a txt or Facebook notification but I do understand your desire for these features. If you were a WP fan it seems to me that you should have known these limitations as they are well documented everywhere online.

If you absolutely need those small items switch. No one is forcing you to use WP. I used every iPhone ever made including the iPhone 5 before I got my Nokia 920. I will never go back to Apple. There are far more reasons for me to continue using WP8.

Also if you did not know WP 8 is based of the NT kernel just like Windows 8 and RT. Its a brand new OS not a update of WP 7. It will take MS a bit if time to add all the little bells and whistles. I know they stated some things were left out to get the device on the market.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was a windows-phone fan. I had no idea that there is no screen lock orientation.I had no idea there was no universal phone search. I had no idea that i cant set a custom tone for my IMs. I had no idea the notification sound for facebook , twitter , whatsapp etc. CANNOT be changed. I had no idea there isn't a way to exit an app directly (you have to constantly press the back button to exit an app). I had no idea that in order to toggle vibrate i would have to go into settings every time. I could go on....

sigh I had no idea that a windows-phone would be so far behind the competition. Wish i was a sheep :(

you're a sheep in...windows clothing?...!! or are you just a mad droid in sheep skin?? or do you just hate M(have to hold shift....4...)$....

bahhhhhh

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yea, the only reason she is sticking with apple is familiarity. I got her started into 'smart' devices back with my NEC MobilPro, we then graduated to the HP iPaq her first smart device. She loved it. then came the iPod, and when her iPaq started to go, that was the next choice she wanted to make. I kept mine all the way through my first smart phone, the HTC Imagio!

She isn't into the wars as much as I am, and I keep everything on the downlow with her regarding my real feelings about apple.

So just wanted to share what she said, how funny it was to me.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Orientation lock is application based.
So the fact that its missing in the stock email , sms etc apps is still a blunder , no ? Or maybe i haven't figured out how to set the lock , would love to know.

If you were a WP fan it seems to me that you should have known these limitations as they are well documented everywhere online.
It never really crossed my mind that these things would be missing. I just assumed that these things are very basic.

If you absolutely need those small items switch. No one is forcing you to use WP.

He he ,of course no one is forcing me to use it . How exactly is the platform supposed to move forward if people are so easily going to be offended by listing a few shortcomings......

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Just so you know - custom tones on iPhone couldn't be done until iOS 5 was released. Granted WP should be able to do that seeing as we're now in 2013, but just saying it was 4 years after the first iPhone that it came to iOS

Also, Facebook and Twitter notification sounds are the same on iOS and can't be changed either (unless that has changed since I got rid of my iPhone, but I can't change the sound on my iPad).

I expect universal search and screen lock orientation will come, just depends on when really...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Fun story!! Sounds like a fun relationship you have!!

As the only "tech geek" among my circle of friends, it amazes me how every 18-24 months we have these types of conversations:

"Hey, I am wanting a new phone, what should I get?"

I follow up with: What do you do on your home computer, what do you like as far as hobbies, what do you want to do on the go, do you do any business or bills while out and about, do you like games, and how much do you want to spend?

This is followed by answer, intent conversations, and them hanging on my every word.

Then, they go out and buy whatever is on the biggest display and are miserable for 2 years or spend twice as much as they should and complain to me.

Praise God for beer. Otherwise, I would be a hermit...
:grin:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Then, they go out and buy whatever is on the biggest display and are miserable for 2 years or spend twice as much as they should and complain to me.

Praise God for beer. Otherwise, I would be a hermit...
:grin:

And you tell them I told you should have got a WP, while your drink your beer.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I feel that you have to try different things, if you don't then how can you say you don't like something. This is equally true for mobile phones.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel that you have to try different things, if you don't then how can you say you don't like something. This is equally true for mobile phones.

True! As I have said, the only reason my wife goes with iPhone is familiarity. She admits she likes my WP over Android, but I don't forsee her ever trying something new, thats how she rolls. She thinks I have some kind of disease because I 'need' the latest and greatest. She warned me if I talk about the new Xbox I am cut off. She wouldnt elaborate on cut off from what!? Anyways, since there are billions of individuals in this world, there is no one phone, or one OS that satisfies all of us. The trick is finding what you like. And for some, thats a very elusive target. I have enjoyed all my smart phones to some extent. I do have to admit the best portable smart devices I had that I really enjoyed and even miss from time to time is my NEC MobilPro and HP iPaq, they were just fun.

As of today, my preference is the WP OS, and although it is missing some 'basic' elements, and some apps (already discussed this issue in a different thread) I find it just simply works for me. Just like the iPhone simply works for my wife, even if she is wrong!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)