Android's Achilles Heel

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
All of these platforms have their weaknesses. The great thing is that if MS, Apple or Google wanted to, they could improve upon these weaknesses. That's why its important to not only enjoy these platforms and be a fan, but call these guys out on their shortcomings at the same time.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Android's Achilles Heel- Despite it's large marketshare (That's actually declining due to people wanting a better experience on IOS and WP) Android has a huge problem.
It grew as an alternative to the iPhone, not as a good OS. From the start, Android was able to grow because manufacturers wanted something to defend themselves against the iPhone and the iPhone was on few carriers. In addition to this, OEMS loved (And still do) putting a bunch of bloatware on it. But then, over time, the iPhone was available on more carriers and lower price points. In addition to this, Windows Phone came along and set a great example of a platform that could give a great UX to all ranges of smartphones.

Over time, IMHO, Android's marketshare will decline slowly and it will look like Symbian or WinMobile in the last days. Anyways, the point is, Android is not a platform that grew because of a distinct trait. In fact, Android does not fit any profile of a distinct advantage (Besides more plastic phones) over any competitor. It's not a great messaging platform, and the apps aren't top notch. It's not secure. It's not smooth and unique. It's not a gamer's platform. It doesn't really have an ecosystem besides a few Google services. It has just taken off as a cheap alternative, and now people are realizing it is not even the best alternative.
That's my rant for today. :smile:

Whatever you need to tell yourself. Android is going to be around for a long, long time. Long after Microsoft has abandoned the consumer and retreated to the safety of enterprise. That's where they make the billions to fund every consumer failure, and always will be.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I think former google users like me will find WP 8 and love its beauty so much they slowly close their accounts. I love WP8 so much I am closing sections of my google accounts. What is holding me back from completely closing my account is my google tablet. If it could be converted to MS....... I am so totally googled out and don't like their privacy policies.

Then, after 3 months, they will be so annoyed with things like no separate volume controls, no installing apps to SD, dialer defaulting to call history instead of the freakin' dialer, no VPN, waiting a year for buggy 1st party apps 2 generations behind Apple and Android, schizophrenic settings menu that makes no sense, etc.

Now, WP8 has potential to be good. But some of Microsoft's decisions, and long update cycles to fix minor things is killing it.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Then, after 3 months, they will be so annoyed with things like no separate volume controls, no installing apps to SD, dialer defaulting to call history instead of the freakin' dialer, no VPN, waiting a year for buggy 1st party apps 2 generations behind Apple and Android, schizophrenic settings menu that makes no sense, etc.

Now, WP8 has potential to be good. But some of Microsoft's decisions, and long update cycles to fix minor things is killing it.

I highly doubt these things will be what they will be annoyed by

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt these things will be what they will be annoyed by

I keep a foot in the door of WP, but at this point I don't use it as my primary phone. I tried a couple times, but retreated. Some of the things JKing106 listed are what annoy me about WP. I'm hoping they change so I can go all in with WP in the future. But for now they're reality.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I keep a foot in the door of WP, but at this point I don't use it as my primary phone. I tried a couple times, but retreated. Some of the things JKing106 listed are what annoy me about WP. I'm hoping they change so I can go all in with WP in the future. But for now they're reality.

I mean when I make generalized statements like that, it's in reference to the general consumer, not the prosumer like us on these forums. We know what we want, they don't. So if they barely know the proper name for Android and the separate OEMS (calling everything a Samsung doesn't count), I'm highly doubtful that they have such a specific annoyance like separate media volume and a file manager.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Read the "What WP8 Needs To Succeed" thread. Many, many people are highly annoyed with the issues I listed, among others. We're not in the honeymoon period anymore.
Again, anything that reflects "Read the forum" or "Read the online polls" does not refer to what I'm generalizing. Read my above post.

You are a prosumer and so are those that are participating in that topic.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What do you guys think the business model for bing and outlook.com is, if it's not collecting information about you to sell to advertisers? The only reason to feel more comfortable with Microsoft doing it over Google that I can think of is that Microsoft probably still sucks at it.

MS doesn't collect personal identifying information. They get general information like a TV advertiser might have when putting a commercial on a particular show.

It's not as targeted as Google's, so advertisers like Google's services better.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't seeing Android being like Symbian, but I do see a fall. And it's not entirely the fault of the Android OS.

Samsung is the BIG Android OEM right now. If they go with Tizen, many users will follow. That ends up almost killing Android on the high end.

Sure, there will still be HTC (if they survive long enough), LG, and whoever is left trying to take Samsung's spot, but there may not be a spot to take. Samsung's branding is so strong. It's stronger than Android's branding. Just like how Lumia's branding is stronger than Windows Phone's branding.

If Samsung goes with Tizen in 2015, I could see the end of 2015 looking like...
AndroidiOSWindows PhoneTizenOther
25%35%20%15%5%

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't seeing Android being like Symbian, but I do see a fall. And it's not entirely the fault of the Android OS.

Samsung is the BIG Android OEM right now. If they go with Tizen, many users will follow. That ends up almost killing Android on the high end.

Sure, there will still be HTC (if they survive long enough), LG, and whoever is left trying to take Samsung's spot, but there may not be a spot to take. Samsung's branding is so strong. It's stronger than Android's branding. Just like how Lumia's branding is stronger than Windows Phone's branding.

If Samsung goes with Tizen in 2015, I could see the end of 2015 looking like...
AndroidiOSWindows PhoneTizenOther
25%35%20%15%5%

If BADA didnt suceed, how will Tizen, if Samsung leaves android others will quickly grab the share, Samsung will not let that happen, Tizen is just a backup and not a replacement.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I mean when I make generalized statements like that, it's in reference to the general consumer, not the prosumer like us on these forums. We know what we want, they don't. So if they barely know the proper name for Android and the separate OEMS (calling everything a Samsung doesn't count), I'm highly doubtful that they have such a specific annoyance like separate media volume and a file manager.

you are underestimating avg consumer. things which annoy, annoy everyone we are not talking about power features but basics such has separate volume etc these are the things everyone uses and annoy everyone.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i think Android biggest problems are:
fragmentation
OEM skins and bloatware

the recently launched Moto G is proof that Android can go smooth with more humble specs...IF it is stock! Motorola just added like 2 or 3 apps but they do have some kind of utility!

but those OEM skins (specially touchwiz) makes the OS heavy and laggy...many pplz use another launcher or root their phone and go for CM BUT the common user doesent do this stuff...i think touchwiz (or any other oem skin) should be forbidden on low-mid phones lol

and fragmentation...Google kinda wants to revert this with Android Kitkat, which has optimizations to run even on 512Mb of RAM so technically even low end phones could receive this update...BUT then we have the problem of updates going thru OEMs and carriers + the huge amount of Android devices and the fact OEMs doesent want old devices to be updated so the consumer is forced to buy a new one still makes it difficult to unify Android...still, its a start, lets see how and if Kitkat will rly deliver this more optimized and smooth performance!

At least now Google sees a good low-mid device with the OS running as smooth as it can - putting experience over specs - might turn things around and attract lots of pplz from emerging markets too, who were turning to WP for the cheap but premium and smooth experience the 520/620 offers!

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
BUT then we have the problem of updates going thru OEMs and carriers + the huge amount of Android devices and the fact OEMs doesent want old devices to be updated so the consumer is forced to buy a new one still makes it difficult to unify Android...still, its a start, lets see how and if Kitkat will rly deliver this more optimized and smooth performance!

This is why I left Android. If they think people will buy their new phones, then it's not entirely true. They can move to another OEM or OS just like my case.. So happy with my red 920 and I'll never go back to Android.. :)

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
This is why I left Android. If they think people will buy their new phones, then it's not entirely true. They can move to another OEM or OS just like my case.. So happy with my red 920 and I'll never go back to Android.. :)

yes yes...but i meant their intention is making pplz buy a new phone every year XD

i'm going to give Android another shot...purchased a Moto G last friday (i live in Brazil...our Black Friday is a fail compared to US but i was lucky and got a good discount on the device) but if it disappoints me again, i know WP will still be there :)

so these are my last 20 days with WP >< (the Moto G promo was so good they ran outta stock in minutes but they put it again for sale thru pre-sale until new stocks arrives)

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Or they can get an Android device not bloated by an OEM or with updates delayed by a carrier. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
you are underestimating avg consumer. things which annoy, annoy everyone we are not talking about power features but basics such has separate volume etc these are the things everyone uses and annoy everyone.

Your statement is false because I'm not annoyed by it (otherwise why would I come back to the platform MULTIPLE times), therefore, everyone is NOT annoyed by it

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If BADA didnt suceed, how will Tizen, if Samsung leaves android others will quickly grab the share, Samsung will not let that happen, Tizen is just a backup and not a replacement.

I think they've learned with Bada. They're also learning with Android.

When they were working on Bada, the Galaxy brand was nowhere near as strong as it is today.

Tizen uses what they had from Bada and builds on it. I believe that it may even be able to use any applications that were developed for Bada.

Samsung is also currently making an effort to build an app library. When they do go Tizen, they will likely do so with some sort of ecosystem in place. I also wouldn't be surprised to see it run many Android apps.

We're probably going to see Tizen being used in many Samsung devices, including TVs, stereos, cameras, and home appliances.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat. I really, really like some things about this Lumia 822, but I'm seriously considering selling it before it's worthless to help buy a Moto G. Like I said, it's the little "no-brainer" issues that should have been fixed by now that are driving me away.

And that's a damn shame.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Only if I got Opera Mini and reliable notifications, I'd be so happy. Facebook chat notifications through both messaging and Facebook beta are not reliable at all. Very few times arrive instantly, some times with some seconds difference and sometimes some minutes. So I've to rely on my Android for facebook chat. Even Whatsapp messages are sometimes late like 10 minutes late. It's so bothering. And no Opera Mini. And I'm on a limited data plan. So anything for net and chatting I've to use my android. And I use my 920 for music, camera and when I need to open a site which doesn't load properly on Opera Mini. So right now my both phones are my primary phones.. :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb