Android's Achilles Heel

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The differences between the original WP7 and the current WP8 are numerous. Even down to the very core kernel.

It seems that you chose to comment on something you know nothing about.

And the UI experience is exactly the same. Having owned a Lumia 822, I know exactly what I'm talking about. The kernel is irrelevant.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
And the UI experience is exactly the same. Having owned a Lumia 822, I know exactly what I'm talking about. The kernel is irrelevant.

That's like saying that TVs are exactly the same because we still use remote controls.

BTW... the examples you mentioned were functionality related, not about UI. So I'm not sure if you really do know what you're talking about.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I never understand the point of this argument. Do you want a radically different UI everytime you get an upgrade??? I like the UI/UX so I don't want to change the experience, just make it better, which WP7 --> WP8 definitely did.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I never understand the point of this argument. Do you want a radically different UI everytime you get an upgrade??? I like the UI/UX so I don't want to change the experience, just make it better, which WP7 --> WP8 definitely did.

Wasn't "staleness" the number 1 complaint against iOS? Android offers UI changes with just about every update. Windows Mobile offered changes between WM2003, WM5, 6, 6.1 & 6.5 as well. Same with Symbian and BBOS. Windows Phone won't survive unless changes are indeed made to the UI. Look at these very forums and there are dozens of threads that are OS-specific as far as improvements that are needed. Let's not even bring up functionality deficiencies.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't "staleness" the number 1 complaint against iOS? Android offers UI changes with just about every update. Windows Mobile offered changes between WM2003, WM5, 6, 6.1 & 6.5 as well. Same with Symbian and BBOS. Windows Phone won't survive unless changes are indeed made to the UI. Look at these very forums and there are dozens of threads that are OS-specific as far as improvements that are needed. Let's not even bring up functionality deficiencies.

I think the difference there is that the UI had been the same since 2007

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the difference there is that the UI had been the same since 2007

I was just trying to make the point. There are those who want their UI to remain the same (just look at the backlash against Windows 8) and those that want options (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, etc.). Personally, I could care less. MFGs are going to produce whatever their marketing dept. tells them the public wants.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I was just trying to make the point. There are those who want their UI to remain the same (just look at the backlash against Windows 8) and those that want options (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, etc.). Personally, I could care less. MFGs are going to produce whatever their marketing dept. tells them the public wants.

While I see your point, Windows 8 was a different scenario altogether. W8 had a lot of backlash because it changed the UI AND UX, while iOS had mostly UI improvements. Bringing a touch screen environment to non-touch screen devices changed the experience, which is why there was so much backlash. Aside from stuff like battery draining/ color palette differences, iOS 7 has been pretty well received (how else could it get 70% of iOS market share).

I'm not sure what the public as a whole wants so I can't really make a call on that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
While I see your point, Windows 8 was a different scenario altogether. W8 had a lot of backlash because it changed the UI AND UX, while iOS had mostly UI improvements. Bringing a touch screen environment to non-touch screen devices changed the experience, which is why there was so much backlash. Aside from stuff like battery draining/ color palette differences, iOS 7 has been pretty well received (how else could it get 70% of iOS market share).

I'm not sure what the public as a whole wants so I can't really make a call on that.

I have a company iPhone 5 with iOS7 and I can tell you it's horrible. The battery life is very good but that's where it ends. The fonts are so thin and light that you can barely see them. From the lock screen, you literally can't see which direction to swipe. Hard-core iSheep will NEVER admit a Cupertino screw-up especially since a lot of them have been anonymously clamoring for a refresh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett