HTC One success, Nokia going Android

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia's sales do drop (Which there is a good chance they won't) and Windows Phone falls i'm going to Blackberry... Or Jolla.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The post below you nails it. Also if they go android they'll be paying Microsoft for the patent stealing. I think the boatloads of money they get from Microsoft will keep them exclusive to Windows Phone for quite a while.

Actually on mobile Nokia leads the industry by far. MS is benefitting way more on mobile side from the Nokia deal when it comes to patents. Lets remember Nokia has invested top 4 in the world on R&D for past 10 years and that's just mobile side.

I don't doubt a sec Nokia would have done way better with Android. At the time Nokia was still a major brand in Android strong markets. Nokia has shrunken to a shadow to itself with WP and at the time of the switch to WP Nokia still had over 10 billion euros of debt free cash reserves.

Do I think Nokia should now go to Android now? No, not now.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think you need to come back to reality - by leads I think you mean 'has been left in the dirt'.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[WARN] Allright let's refrain from calling each other trolls just because we don't agree with their posts. Forum rules prohibit this, if we cannot debate this topic in a civil manner then we'll have to shut it down[/WARN]

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The UI/UX of Android can vary because OEMs change it up so much.

IF Nokia does go to Android in the future, then I will probably follow Nokia because I think they will be able to deliver a great Android skin, like HTC Sense 5.0. HTC Sense 5 is so much better than Samsung's Touchwiz. I wouldn't mind switching to Android if Nokia was the OEM I would be buying from, as long as they can give me a solid UI/UX that's beautiful and intuitive.

Honestly, I'm more of a Nokia fan than I am a Windows Phone fan so yes, I would switch to Android if Nokia did. I'm not saying I don't like WP; I love it! But if Nokia abandons it, so will I. There wouldn't be much reason for me to stay :p

All this is just a "what if." I don't see Nokia leaving WP anytime soon. And that's a good thing, because I believe that WP is about to get a whole lot better in the next year or so.

This.

Actually, Nokia could leave it Vanilla and not bother slapping a bloated UI on top. A Nokia Lumia Nexus if you will. But I honestly cannot see Nokia producing an Android phone, ever. Some people here have mentioned Meego but that was abandoned a long time ago and is now in private hands as Joila.

Others have mentioned Nokias famous build quality but they are confusing Nokia of old with the new Chinese made Nokias that are simply not up to the same standard of quality. I still have an old E60 which does not creak and squeak every time I pick it up, unlike my very creaky 920 which also has a ton of dust obscuring the front facing camera.

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The UI/UX of Android can vary because OEMs change it up so much.

IF Nokia does go to Android in the future, then I will probably follow Nokia because I think they will be able to deliver a great Android skin, like HTC Sense 5.0. HTC Sense 5 is so much better than Samsung's Touchwiz. I wouldn't mind switching to Android if Nokia was the OEM I would be buying from, as long as they can give me a solid UI/UX that's beautiful and intuitive.

Honestly, I'm more of a Nokia fan than I am a Windows Phone fan so yes, I would switch to Android if Nokia did. I'm not saying I don't like WP; I love it! But if Nokia abandons it, so will I. There wouldn't be much reason for me to stay :p

All this is just a "what if." I don't see Nokia leaving WP anytime soon. And that's a good thing, because I believe that WP is about to get a whole lot better in the next year or so.

May be you're right. So far I only tried friends' Samsung Droid. But I'll surely be trying Android hands-on first, before buying.

For Lumia WP8, I just read about it, bought it, and never regret it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
i wish to see Nokia producing mid range android phones along with wp ...........wp8 is still not upto android in terms of usability.lot of basic features missing :asleep:

That depends on your point of view. I can't think of any meaningful feature from Android that I want on Windows Phone. However, I can name several things (the UI, Games hub, Xbox-branded games, HERE Maps, Nokia hardware) that Windows Phone has that Android doesn't.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
That depends on your point of view. I can't think of any meaningful feature from Android that I want on Windows Phone. However, I can name several things (the UI, Games hub, Xbox-branded games, HERE Maps, Nokia hardware) that Windows Phone has that Android doesn't.

It all boils down to personal needs but there are some things lacking in WP 8 that are available right now in Android such as, FM Radio support (yes, I realise it's coming in the next update but we've had to wait for seven months so far and we're still waiting).
Call and SMS blocking for Lumia phones (the Chinese Lumia's have it as well as the Ativ S so why not all WP8 phones).
Proper data usage monitoring for everyone not just a select few who's carriers want to support Data sense. Why should they need to anyway when this sort of feature is baked into Android and works for any carrier regardless of whether the carrier wants to support it or not.
WP lacks independent volume controls for music, notifications, ringtones etc.
WP lacks the ability to turn Auto screen rotate on or off (a handful of apps can do it but it's not a system wide setting).
Android has its own in-built battery monitoring tool that gives detailed information on what apps and features are using the battery in terms of percentage. You also get real time updates for the battery level and widgets and don't have to rely on the 30 minute limitation of WP.
I find predictive text works better on Android than it does on WP plus there are a lot more options for downloading extra keyboards that can then be set as the default system keyboard. On Android there is still the option of a T9 keypad for those who want it. With WP, you are pretty much stuck with the one keyboard layout from MS.

Those are just a few of the things that Android is capable of right out of the box that makes Android so popular and WP really does need to add most, if not all of the above if they want to catch up. Whether people need those features or not, they need to be there as an option so that MS and their OEM partners can market their phones to the wider audience.

milono77

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I've emailed high-rank employees of Nokia (those who directly know Stephen Elop) and the reason they will never go Android is that the hardware is always changing, and no matter how many cores or how many gigs of ram you have, you will have this thing non-existent on Windows Phone. I heard its called "Lag". I've a friend who has a Galaxy S4 Octa and he installed like 40 apps and when he swipes to the left, it reacts like 2 seconds later and when he was browsing androidcentral for about 10 minutes, his battery percentage dropped by 30%. App support for Android is limited. Android has viruses. Android has no security. Android's apps are not checked. MANY fake apps. The list just goes. OSes like iOS don't have that and runs smooth as silk. Windows Phone is a second.

If it was really a Nokia exec who told you all about those above, and what he said was true, then I'd say it was quite tasteless statement. The points about Android flaws might be true, but that's also the case with Windows OS in the PC world. Let's make immediate comparison - Windows OS has tons of viruses, has serious security problems from time to time, quite buggy, and needless to say, countless spams and malicious software every here and now. In other hand, Linux OS and Mac OS are quite safer and much more stable. But which sells the most? Windows! Buggy products do not always mean they can't sell well, because in fact, it is the market that determines. That's the case of Windows OS, and now Android.
See, if all that Nokia exec said was really the reason behind Nokia's refusal of Android, I can therefore say that it is really nonsense and baseless. I've heard all other numerous excuses, and nothing really made sense, unless Nokia does not care too much about selling phones anymore.

Only one thing does really make sense today: Nokia does not sell to consumers anymore, they only sell to Microsoft - It's only matters of time before we eventually see the big news: Microsoft acquires Nokia.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I honestly would love to see a Nokia Android device. And to reverse it, I wouldn't mind seeing s device like the LG G2 as a Windows phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99