Google smartwatch

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
OP, you'll have to forgive me when I say I don't understand what you're trying to spread FUD about.

"while we talk about how KitKat can finally run on lower spec'd devices, Microsoft and Sony just came out with the most amazing consoles in years." - said no Android fan. Ever.

Are you trying to say that Microsoft will be left out of an unproven market yet? I'd rather Microsoft building their ecosystem through an all-in-one entertainment system that extends your devices to your TV instead of smart watches. Oh, wait, they've already done that. I've never seen a single person with a smart watch and I don't see there be any use for them for the price that these things will probably ask for.

That's possibly the most defensive comment I've heard from any ******, and I've been doing this since forums were dial-up BBS.

This is the classic MS mistake - preferring to sit on their fat asses and waiting for someone else to get into "unproven markets", as you put it. While they do this, someone else takes over that market and then you lot whine on WPcentral about how MS is actually awesome, but nobody understands them...

Right from Bill G's famous "640K should be enough for everyone", you see this. They decided the Internet would never be important. Then Google, Amazon and the rest came in and ate their lunch. They decided that anyone who wanted a smartphone would be a geek and so would accept complex but capable devices, and came out with Windows Mobile. Then Apple came along and proved that even regular consumers want smartphones, just that they can't be complex and need a stylus. MS got the message (after like 5 years) and came out with WP7. Again, Apple and Android were entrenched before WP even arrived on the battlefield.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
As for the functionality of these types of devices, speaking for myself, I am in TONS of meetings. I HATE having to pull out my phone to check a message or email EVERY SINGLE time I get an alert. Having a wrist based device that looks inconspicuous and sublime would allow me to filter what is and what is NOT important with out disturbing everyone else. So for ME, it is very functional. I can only speak for myself.

+many. This is exactly what I do with my Pebble right now. I spend at least half my day in meetings and being able to discreetly glance at my wrist when my phone vibrates has been great.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As for the functionality of these types of devices, speaking for myself, I am in TONS of meetings. I HATE having to pull out my phone to check a message or email EVERY SINGLE time I get an alert. Having a wrist based device that looks inconspicuous and sublime would allow me to filter what is and what is NOT important with out disturbing everyone else. So for ME, it is very functional. I can only speak for myself.

See, this is the thing I don't get. If you're in a meeting, frankly, you shouldn't be checking things anyways. Even if you are, you're just switching from looking at a phone screen to a watch screen, which is just as bright and annoying. If I was leading a meeting, I wouldn't care what you were checking, I'd still be ticked off. I'm sure it has use cases, but not enough to be a viable market. Microsoft has no reason to chase every market, just to supply a niche.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Google glass is a kids toy. At least I don't expect it to ever reach critical mass. No one wants to be under constant surveillance from their friends let alone people you don't know. Smart watches might have a better shot at it.
I'm not convinced Google intended Glass to ever be a commercial product. I think it was a developer experiment to see what kinds of functions consumers want in a wearable device. I'd bet they are using a lot of what they learned in Glass as input in the smartwatch development.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's possibly the most defensive comment I've heard from any ******, and I've been doing this since forums were dial-up BBS.

This is the classic MS mistake - preferring to sit on their fat asses and waiting for someone else to get into "unproven markets", as you put it. While they do this, someone else takes over that market and then you lot whine on WPcentral about how MS is actually awesome, but nobody understands them...

Right from Bill G's famous "640K should be enough for everyone", you see this. They decided the Internet would never be important. Then Google, Amazon and the rest came in and ate their lunch. They decided that anyone who wanted a smartphone would be a geek and so would accept complex but capable devices, and came out with Windows Mobile. Then Apple came along and proved that even regular consumers want smartphones, just that they can't be complex and need a stylus. MS got the message (after like 5 years) and came out with WP7. Again, Apple and Android were entrenched before WP even arrived on the battlefield.

You're completely missing the point. Just because Google does something does not mean that Microsoft has to do it. I don't see Google making a high end gaming console, yet no one here is making that argument. It's ok for them to not have to compete in every single market against each other. If they make a watch, that's fine, but I'll never buy it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying they shouldn't expand to new markets, but the idea of "Google does X , therefore Microsoft must do X" is just as ridiculous as "Microsoft makes consoles, therefore, Google must make a console".

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Google glass is a kids toy. At least I don't expect it to ever reach critical mass. No one wants to be under constant surveillance from their friends let alone people you don't know. Smart watches might have a better shot at it.

I totally agree that Google Glass was an experiment. What I did find were the variants that spun off the technology that were actually quite promising. They were purpose-built solutions that fit a specific market and did those things VERY well. Would I use those devices outside what they were intended for? Prob not, but then the manufacturers prob didn't either.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Your "getting it" or not, is not relevant.

Well, you're doing a pretty terrible job at telling me why you would spend $300 for the sole purpose of checking notifications while you're in a meeting. Maybe if you explain it better, there wouldn't be a problem. Your OP was acting like Microsoft will fail or something if they didn't invest in an SDK for smart watches, so I don't see what the big deal is or why they must do it just because Google did it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying they shouldn't expand to new markets, but the idea of "Google does X , therefore Microsoft must do X" is just as ridiculous as "Microsoft makes consoles, therefore, Google must make a console".
I think the concern is that Microsoft hasn't brought anything new to the market that disrupts the market and attracts consumers since the Xbox. Everything else Microsoft seems to be doing is following, not leading. On the other hand, Google has disrupted the market with its products and captured the minds of consumers.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the concern is that Microsoft hasn't brought anything new to the market that disrupts the market and attracts consumers since the Xbox. Everything else Microsoft seems to be doing is following, not leading. On the other hand, Google has disrupted the market with its products and captured the minds of consumers.

Oh, I agree. I want them to expand and grow their ecosystem, but the question of them needing do expand could be said a bunch of different ways such as "what do you think their next market should be" or "what would you like to see if Microsoft made a smart watch?", but the way the OP put it was basically "while we're sitting around, twiddling our thumbs, Google is leaving Microsoft in the dust because Google invested in an SDK for smart watches".

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Well put! Say the word "innovation", and Google, Samsung, and even Apple will come to mind, not Microsoft (besides to a few fanboys!).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
the way the OP put it was basically "while we're sitting around, twiddling our thumbs, Google is leaving Microsoft in the dust because Google invested in an SDK for smart watches".

That's not necessarily true across the board, but it is in the area of mobile & wearables.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I agree. I want them to expand and grow their ecosystem, but the question of them needing do expand could be said a bunch of different ways such as "what do you think their next market should be" or "what would you like to see if Microsoft made a smart watch?", but the way the OP put it was basically "while we're sitting around, twiddling our thumbs, Google is leaving Microsoft in the dust because Google invested in an SDK for smart watches".
I agree that it's not smartwatches only. What has Microsoft developed or acquired recently that's been a huge success with consumers? Google also bought Nest, so between the smartwatches and smart thermostats, Google has the headstart on connected gadgets and the connected home. Microsoft used to advertise about what the future would be like with connected homes, but it appears that Microsoft has been all talk and no action, while Google is taking charge in that area.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, you're doing a pretty terrible job at telling me why you would spend $300 for the sole purpose of checking notifications while you're in a meeting. Maybe if you explain it better, there wouldn't be a problem. Your OP was acting like Microsoft will fail or something if they didn't invest in an SDK for smart watches, so I don't see what the big deal is or why they must do it just because Google did it.

1) I don't need to justify it to you. Just myself.
2) Think big picture, not just notifications. Think "Lead, Follow or Get out of the way"
3) I *am* the OP.
4) If you don't see what the big deal is, leave it alone. Walk away from this thread.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
1) I don't need to justify it to you. Just myself.
2) Think big picture, not just notifications. Think "Lead, Follow or Get out of the way"
3) I *am* the OP.
4) If you don't see what the big deal is, leave it alone. Walk away from this thread.

1) you posted a topic. That leaves room for disagreements and agreements. If someone disagrees with you and you don't want to respond, just don't respond. You can't just post something and think that no one could possibly disagree with you.
2) That's what I'm asking you to explain. I cant think of that much stuff that a watch could do that would be that useful on a small screen, especially since WPC wrote an article about how people are demanding bigger and bigger screens.
3) OP means original poster OR original POST
4) why can't you just explain to me what the big deal is? Why would you post something and tell anyone who can't see if from your POV to walk away.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I think you read the OP wrong. He basically said while we're here worrying about things that won't really make a splash or have some kind of positive effect on Microsoft from a public POV, like updates on apps and glitches and other small things, Google is pushing forward into new territory. Now, your opinion is your opinion, but I can tell you most other companies WOULD NOT invest in a new area without evidence of actual demand (*cough* Pebble *cough* fitbit *cough*). Both I would say have made significant changes to how consumers see wearable technology, and naturally Google (who can throw a lot of money at anything - look at the air-balloon internet thingys) want to get first dibs. OP was just mentioning (in my view) how Microsoft is letting others like Google and Apple even take the market again. And admittedly, this has happened before numerous times with MS. Sure, you might not understand why people want to wear an additional device, but just saying Pebble is $170 here (nicely priced) and it serves multiple purposes too OTHER than notifications.

There is actual demand, the time for wearables is now....otherwise Microsoft could miss out on yet another area of the market. And not only that, but it also changes the public's view of the company - Google is quite an innovative company because they come out with lots of stuff, Apple is quite reserved and Microsoft is trying to come back. More or less, I'd say that's the public perception of each company. And MS is missing out on a chance to change that fast

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[warn] Let's keep the tempers down a bit. It's the WPCentral way. If we receive one more report about this thread we're shutting it down and issuing infractions[/warn]

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just thinking outloud here.
What about connectivity between the two
Would it ( later on / near future ) not be possible that these things can work cross or multiplatform.
For example i can use my Google tablet to control my laptop.
So what i mean is cant you use a google watch with a MS device.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I really wish Microsoft was on top of this. I think the Metro design language is built for smart watches. It's clean, minimal, and easy to use. I would to have a smartwatch that integrates with my music playing on my phone, serves as a Cortana input, can read text messages, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb