Google smartwatch

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Lol that's why I said might, being that I haven't fully researched this, but I think with data plans like the ones on AT&T and Verizon, it's something to possibly worry about if you're constantly tethering to another device right? Like I said, I haven't fully researched this but these are immediate questions that pop in my head and possibly other potential buyers.

Actually the smart watch does not "tether" to the phone like a laptop would. It just uses standard Bluetooth protocols. The wireless carrier would have no way to know you are connected to a smart watch. The connection is more like what your car has with a smart phone. The watch should not use more data other than what you phone uses unless you have chosen to send notifications from a service you would not use with just the phone.

I also don't want something else to constantly remind me of notifications. I have my tablet and my phone to do that for me all the time

This is a personal choice that works for you. It would not make sense for someone to buy a smart watch it they don't want notifications on it as that is the best reason to get one. Of course a smart watch provides fitness info, music control and other functions but I think more convient and stealthy notifications are the killer feature.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually the smart watch does not "tether" to the phone like a laptop would. It just uses standard Bluetooth protocols. The wireless carrier would have no way to know you are connected to a smart watch. The connection is more like what your car has with a smart phone. The watch should not use more data other than what you phone uses unless you have chosen to send notifications from a service you would not use with just the phone.

This is a personal choice that works for you. It would not make sense for someone to buy a smart watch it they don't want notifications on it as that is the best reason to get one. Of course a smart watch provides fitness info, music control and other functions but I think more convient and stealthy notifications are the killer feature.

My son has a smart watch from Samsung and it does too tether to the phone. Because he carries his ICON most of the time, the watch is less useful. Which is why he is giving it away.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My son has a smart watch from Samsung and it does too tether to the phone. Because he carries his ICON most of the time, the watch is less useful. Which is why he is giving it away.

Except for standalone watch phones which are phones themselves (eg Neptune Pine) most smart watches connect to a smart phone via Bluetooth which does not require separate service from a carrier or a tethering add on. Most smart watches require a companion app on a smart phone to communicate via Bluetooth with the watch but that does not require wifi tethering.

My experience is with the Pebble and Sony smart watches. They talk exclusively over Bluetooth. At least the WP8 apps I have written for them work that way. My understanding is the Metawatch, Martian, Cookoo, Kreyos and Agent work the same way.

Since I have not used the Galaxy Gear and have not had experience with that watch, I certainly can not dispute your statement for that watch. For that watch I would be wrong.

Charlene Chua

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
@badplanet
hi, from Kreyos here.
yes, the Kreyos Meteor connects with BT 4.0 so it doesn't drain your phone's battery.
we apologize for the delays, for now we are committed to shipping the Meteor this April. thanks.

zalmah

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Have many people tried integrating one of these smartwatches into their daily lives? I would be interested to know how practical they are or how much they are actually an annoyance. I seem to feel that it's probably more of the latter, although I haven't tried one out yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers