QHD (1440p) doesn't add anything to a phone, Huawei says

Bram Vanroy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
In an interview with TechRadar Richard Yu said that he thought that QHD-resolutions are useless on a phone. He mentions three reasons: (1) we can't see the difference with our eyes (2) QHD screens will consume a lot more power (3) phones will be more expensive for the end-user.

I agree with Yu and I am glad that finally a company (or at least a man with authority in the field) testifies that those resolutions are useless. The difference is neglible, it drains your battery more quickly and it is more expensive. When I changed my 4.5" Lumia 920 (1280x768) temporarily for a 6" Lumia 1520 (1920x1080), I didn't notice a difference at the beginning. It's only when playing games or watching full HD movies that you see a noticeable difference, but not so in day-to-day usage.

I'd much rather see that companies worked on two things:
Battery life
Come on. I remember having a Nokia 3310 and it would honestly last ages. I realise that those phones could do far less, and - subsequently - were used only briefly. But it would be great if we could just be able to make three days with a slightly above average usage on any smartphone.

Screen quality (rather than resolution)
Screens have improved quite a lot over the years, but it seems that production for smaller screens is not set on rails quite well. Amoled-screens are used (though not all too frequently), but I'd like to see some OLED or plasma action.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Richard Yu too, why would you want a QHD screen on a phone anyways?

While this is a older thread...I thought I would answer a question that has gone unanswered.

A qhd screen brings a more immersive viewing experience to those of us that have the largest of screens and whom utilize their phones for multimedia content along with other uses.

Anyone can actually see the differences in this if they do a side by side comparison.

To say it's useless means they either don't understand it,or for a company to say it means that they don't want to spend the money on providing to their customers.

Just because you don't want it or feel the need for it on a smaller screen,don't think that others don't.It's a option,just like a lot of things on these phones

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the more important part here is PPI, not so much resolution alone. I think it would be silly to have even a full HD screen on a 4,5" device, but on a 6" device it makes a difference. That's why it's also abit silly to compare the 920 with it's 4,5" screen to a 6" device.

A 6" device might also have a big enough battery to manage with such screens, not to mention it's about trade offs. Sure, a QHD would look sweet even on a 4,5" device, but the noticeable difference due to the "small screen" might be too small to justify losing the battery life and increasing price.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
QHD screens on phones ARE pointless. I have a 1520. The 1080p display is pin sharp with no 'jaggies' even when zoomed in.
QHD screens are just a marketing ploy.
I have heard people say that they can tell the difference.... No, you can't, unless your eyeballs are different to everyone else on the planet.
It IS good for larger devices. That's what it is for....
Laughable claim to say that it offers 'a more immersive experience' on phones. Pure BS!!!!

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
QHD screens on phones ARE pointless. I have a 1520. The 1080p display is pin sharp with no 'jaggies' even when zoomed in.
QHD screens are just a marketing ploy.
I have heard people say that they can tell the difference.... No, you can't, unless your eyeballs are different to everyone else on the planet.
It IS good for larger devices. That's what it is for....
Laughable claim to say that it offers 'a more immersive experience' on phones. Pure BS!!!!

Your sadly mistaken...

Your argument is the same ones used in the past for keeping the current resolutions...Folks have sworn that there was no difference between 720p and 1080p...and now folks like you are saying the same thing...

It's all about how it is implemented not that it doesn't work or look better.

The old adage that a person can't see differences has been proven wrong...just like in the audio world that folks can't hear differences in the various music types..

Now..that isn't saying that you can't see or even hear differences,but many people can..but to say none can is simply wrong. There has been enough studies to prove older beliefs wrong...

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
As I said, QHD is good for larger devices where the difference can be seen.
720p and 1080p is not the same thing. There is quiter clearly a difference between the two. 720p is low resolution. Fact!!! 1080p is high resolution...

1080p and QHD is a different beast entirely. On small screens the difference is so negligable as to make no difference.
It seems nowadays that screen specs rule over functionality. PPI is more important when talking about screens. Resolution is entirely different.
I'll stick with my 1080p if you don't mind.....

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
As I said, QHD is good for larger devices where the difference can be seen.
720p and 1080p is not the same thing. There is quiter clearly a difference between the two. 720p is low resolution. Fact!!! 1080p is high resolution...

1080p and QHD is a different beast entirely. On small screens the difference is so negligable as to make no difference.
It seems nowadays that screen specs rule over functionality. PPI is more important when talking about screens. Resolution is entirely different.
I'll stick with my 1080p if you don't mind.....

QHD is the next iteration and as I said it is how it is implemented that makes a difference..and yes...even on our 1520 6" screens..

QHD screens have a major advantage..more precise color reproduction...and I'm not talking about a torch mode color palette that plagues most HD screens.

They also will allow damn near infinite zooming..provided the content is done with this aspect...

So..immersive means just this..and while the benefits are spectacular on a large display,don't think that it won't be better than what we have on our 6" display..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)