01-03-2015 06:23 PM
26 12
tools
    Had to configure a new Android device for my mom today, I had forgotten how unintuitive and ugly Android was. Everything is complicated, you have only icons, which you can combine with ugly widgets, you have 5 screens (WHY?). Made me appreciate WP more, in spite of the app situation.

Has anyone ever felt like this?
    05-23-2014 05:59 PM
    Had to configure a new Android device for my mom today, I had forgotten how unintuitive and ugly Android was. Everything is complicated, you have only icons, which you can combine with ugly widgets, you have 5 screens (WHY?). Made me appreciate WP more, in spite of the app situation.

Yes. I went back to my Android phone after my iPhone just to check out an app and was like... Wow, hire did I live with this?

I've been back to the iPhone and have not had that experience, I just prefer Windows Phone. Android is seriously shoddy design in pretty much every implementation and I do not understand everyone's hard-on for it.

Stock Android is much better than it used to be...HTC Sense is okay. But TouchWiz...ugh.
    luismfarelo likes this.
    05-23-2014 06:20 PM
    TouchWiz is the most horrendous implementation of Android in existence, I doubt get why people love it so much.

Stock Android, while still not for me, isn't half bad. But TouchWiz... Ugh, makes me want to barf.

Hell, even a poll on Android Central a few weeks ago shows how the Android faithful hate TouchWiz.
    luismfarelo and wpn00b like this.
    05-23-2014 06:27 PM
    Personally I would choose wp over android anyday but I am an advanced user and like being able to change almost everything on android but i REALLY like wp live tiles. the main reason why i like android is because of apps like toucher pro and 'GO's sidebar app. Currently, I would say windows phone is the most unique smart phone os currently available but android still is the coolest. The windows dev team should make it more like this concept .
    05-23-2014 06:42 PM
    Hey what happened to my concept links????
    05-23-2014 08:50 PM
    True about the Touchwiz... but the Motoblur UI was even worst, you had to create some account to access the phone, laggy and slow like hell. The TouchWiz is like a japanese bullet train VS the abomination of the Motoblur... glad Motorola killed it.
    vepac likes this.
    05-28-2014 12:54 AM
    Pointless thread because android is THE most popular smartphone OS currently(about 80% market share)
    05-28-2014 01:32 AM
    It's still ugly as hellv but their app catalog is very very rich

Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk
    05-28-2014 01:50 AM
    Like everything in life, is a matter of habit. When I had an Android, I thought the WP live tiles were horrible. But still i give it a try, got used to the OS and started to really, really like the tiles and its simplicity. Nowadays i get really bored with live tiles and want to go back to Android icons, which in my opinion are much more intuitive and simple.
    Vishnu Hs likes this.
    05-28-2014 03:43 PM
    Pointless thread because android is THE most popular smartphone OS currently(about 80% market share)
    And Android having a larger market share means people's personal experiences with it less valuable how, exactly?
    Nogitsune Micah and forked like this.
    05-28-2014 03:47 PM
    someone told "Android is going to be like PCs, PC's features on the phone".
    who wants PC on his/her phone? It will be AWFUL EXPRNC.
    05-28-2014 04:41 PM
    And Android having a larger market share means people's personal experiences with it less valuable how, exactly?
    most people like it,use it that's why it is popular,u can rant about its ugly OS,awful experience but that will not affect anything..
    engineermoore likes this.
    05-28-2014 08:09 PM

Agreed. No consistent design language, just feels clumsy. And it is hideous.

At least in my opinion :P
    05-28-2014 08:13 PM
    someone told "Android is going to be like PCs, PC's features on the phone".
    who wants PC on his/her phone? It will be AWFUL EXPRNC.

If you didn't want a PC on your phone then why did you get a smartphone?
    Vishnu Hs likes this.
    05-28-2014 08:14 PM
    If you didn't want a PC on your phone then why did you get a smartphone?
    Apply cold water to burnt area.
    Joshhi, Quhi and AverageWPUser like this.
    06-22-2014 01:25 PM
    near future , Windows phone OS are one and only quality competitor for iPhone and quantity competitor for Android. Most quality official apps land on Windows phone and there are many people searching for fresh option.
    06-22-2014 02:26 PM

You do realise you can customise it how you want? Theres a lot of good launchers for Free.

Don't want widgets? Remove them. Don't want multiple screens? Remove them. Want a UI like Metro or iOS? Download the themes.
    11-19-2014 05:45 AM
    Just got an iPhone 6 after 4 years of windows phone and the apps are great (of course) but what I'm surprised about is that I'm getting regular notifications from different apps giving me information, just like live tiles do. Plus the the fluidity of IOS makes this a major upgrade to my windows phone experience.

Android is ok for apps but I don't understand it. No fluidity whatsoever but my wife loves it.
    11-20-2014 02:20 AM
    I'm new to WP (Lumia 930). I was previously using an HTC M7. I really don't see how bad or complicated it was... Sense 6 was super easy and convenient to use. I just got a Lumia out of a sudden deal and I am in love with it. But being a longtime Android user (HTC Magic days) it was a bit hard to adapt.
    11-26-2014 11:51 PM
    As for UI and UX, Windows is the best. It's the only reason I bought a Lumia. It was neither Nokia nor Microsoft but the OS itself. The UI was all designed so beautifully, that I couldn't help but buy a 920.
    11-27-2014 12:41 AM
    Android looks awful to me in most variations. I would take HTC sense over any android. I dislike the os, the UI and the google services. I can't ever see myself going back to it anytime soon.

The iPhone has the same general ui with the icons and grids of them but it feels far more fluid and looks way better and I actually sort of like apple.

Android, despite its popularity, is atrocious to me
    11-27-2014 12:47 AM
    WP is simple and Android is complicated.. Only thing i hate about WP is how they display the wallpaper between tiles ;)
    11-30-2014 09:54 PM
    Its funny, I just got an Android device last week(LG G3) and felt the same way. Now its almost a week later after constant tweeking and looking for good apps, and I still feel the same way. I switched because my only choice was pretty much the HTC One and every review kept putting it down in favor of the G3 and some reviews even talked about how unusable and basic WP 8.1 was in comparison and the App store. So here are my feelings after a week:

Pros:
    - Apps. Lots of them. Most happy being able to use my local transit system's ticket app. And when something doesn't work, there are lots of alternatives. Even my bank has an official app. The official apps all seem much more complete. As a big fan of 3rd party youtube apps, the official android app is so nice and easy to use. Not to mention the easy casting to my roku. Firefox browser can do the same.

Cons:
    - Apps. OMG, I've never seen so much crap in my life. The official apps are a blessing, but there are so many bad unofficial apps. They could probably reduce that store by half. Yes, they are options, but good lord.
    - Notificiation. Stop with the BS notification light. Don't add this microsoft. The combination of the universal toast notifications, live tiles and drawer were better than the huge number of icons at the top. The notification drawer is way too busy as well.
    - UX. This thing is so disjointed and the so-called customization(moving apps and widgets around) makes it worse.
    - Laggy UI. And I'm on some hefty hardware.

My conclusion so far is, the app thing is wayyyyyyy overrated. Android is Linux. You have fanboys that brag about using it and how nothing else is usable. Its usable, but its so disjointed. I can see where most people get it because they have the most free on contract phones and they just do basic functions and play games(we already know statistically this is what happens) and they know no better since those basic functions can be done. The fanboys are the loudest and most frequently heard voices. Business users get their custom apps so they get used to it and favor it. Its very thorough in that regard. But compared to ios and WP 8.1 it is not a smooth experience that works together. I feel like those two integrate and put actual communication and useability together far more effectively. They seem basic to fandroids because they just work smoothly and aren't so disjointed. I'm not saying I don't like my phone, but I'm saying, these reviews far overrate Android based on a few apps and being used to how certain things are done.
    12-15-2014 10:29 AM
    I've been with Android since 2009, and it is easily the most versatile of all the mobile OSes. But that versatility comes with a steeper learning curve. If you spend a little time with it, you can make it look and work any way you want it to. That said, it's only as ugly as you make it to be.

I also use iOS, (iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina) and while I think it's generally great, I find myself getting frustrated with how locked down it is. I tried WP8.1 for a few days, and the live tiles were great though I much prefer Android's widgets. To each their own.
    01-03-2015 04:14 PM
    I was an apple user till my iphone 3GS died no reason. Didn't get wet, didn't drop.etc... And apple wanted 70 just for an over the phone diagnostic...so... Never went to apple again. Then I went with android... I can only afford the low range phones and got so frustrated at how many time I got "force close due to low memory" I had this on so many low end androids....so I saw the 520 in the shop. Never heard of windows phones and thought it would be a "city boy blackberry" but thought "what the hell" and took the plunge. I couldn't believe it.. No force closures and better then my iphone 3GS. and the funny thing is... My ex had the S4 and we took a pic in the pub at night. My pic using the 520 wasn't dark. It really looked like there was a flash on the camera. My ex S4.... Oh dear.... The flash on her phone made me look like an umpa lumpa. So she turned the flash off.... And you couldn't see me. I fell in love with Lumia at that point. Then I filmed my brother getting married in July outside. The quality was dvd amazing and despite holding the phone with just my hands there was hardly any shaking on the footage. Sadly I dropped my 520 and it cracked... Had a few beers that night and ordered the 1520 as I was drunk. Not regretted it since. 520 now repaired and my daughter has it
    01-03-2015 05:26 PM
26 12