03-14-2017 02:22 AM
61 123
tools
    They make their money on selling the data to the highest bidder. That's their entire income base right there. They don't state what data are being sold and to who.

The Chrome browser is a big security hole, and so will ChromeOS when/if it ever catches on outside of a niche market. The first holes in ChromeOS was found 6 years ago... And when it gets interesting, there will be a lot more. Google isn't very good when it comes to securing their systems.
    I'm not convinced that's true, but I admit I'm no expert.
    I believe what Google does is collect information on you based on your browsing and then send targeted ads to you depending on your interests. So if I'm selling something, I'm not buying your information from Google, but getting people to click on my ad and hopefully buy something. I never see anything about you unless you buy. Google would be foolish to sell your information because they make more this way.
    Again, I could be wrong but it's the way I understand it.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-22-2017 07:44 PM
    Just curious, but why are you trying so hard to convince everyone here that a CB is all anyone needs? If it works for you, that is great, but reading through this thread, it sounds way too much like a sales pitch, JMT.
    Not trying to sell anyone on anything, just sharing my experience.

They make their money on selling the data to the highest bidder. That's their entire income base right there. They don't state what data are being sold and to who.

The Chrome browser is a big security hole, and so will ChromeOS when/if it ever catches on outside of a niche market. The first holes in ChromeOS was found 6 years ago... And when it gets interesting, there will be a lot more. Google isn't very good when it comes to securing their systems.
    You speak like you don't know how their setup works. All data stays within Google's ad network, it isn't sold to outside parties.
    TgeekB, Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    02-22-2017 07:57 PM
    I believe what Google does is collect information on you based on your browsing and then send targeted ads to you depending on your interests. So if I'm selling something, I'm not buying your information from Google, but getting people to click on my ad and hopefully buy something. I never see anything about you unless you buy. Google would be foolish to sell your information because they make more this way.

Correct.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-22-2017 07:59 PM

I hear what you're saying and I don't know who's right and who's wrong, but I do know that when I had my G5 and I walked in to any major retailer I would instantly receive an email ad related to that place. That's an invasion of my privacy.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    02-22-2017 08:00 PM
    I hear what you're saying and I don't know who's right and who's wrong, but I do know that when I had my G5 and I walked in to any major retailer I would instantly receive an email ad related to that place. That's an invasion of my privacy.

That may not be because of Google. Every store you buy something in collects data and may sell it. We can't get away from it too easily but I hear ya.

02-22-2017 08:04 PM

That's the store's doing, and is available for every OS
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-22-2017 08:08 PM
    You speak like you don't know how their setup works. All data stays within Google's ad network, it isn't sold to outside parties.
    That's basically correct. The last thing Google wants to do is to sell the data. That would essentially be killing the goose that lays the golden egg. They get paid for targeting ads. A company selling vacuum sweepers, for example, isn't wasting money sending ads to 16 year old high schoolers.

Protecting your data is extremely high priority to Google, because once the companies have your data, they don't need Google.

Last year Newsweek published an article related to data collection - THE SECRETIVE WORLD OF SELLING DATA ABOUT YOU.

Credit card companies and department stores have data about their customers that the big tech companies cannot collect. They make Google look like a novice. For example, Google knows you went to Target. Target and your credit card company know you went to Target, and they both know exactly what you bought! Plus, they actually sell the data.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-22-2017 09:52 PM
    What percentage of devices sold worldwide were chromebooks? Vs windows devices and apple devices

That should give a good indication of how viable they are

And if we can get statistics per region or even country, that would be excellent
    02-23-2017 12:01 AM
    What percentage of devices sold worldwide were chromebooks? Vs windows devices and apple devices

That should give a good indication of how viable they are

And if we can get statistics per region or even country, that would be excellent
    More than Windows 10 Mobile devices.
    02-23-2017 06:17 AM
    I think this post serves as a warning about a likely demise of certain os in the coming future if people continue to be complacent.
    02-23-2017 06:54 AM
    Chrome? Bleh. Opera & Edge 14 all the way.
    02-23-2017 08:13 AM
    Strawman -- come on. . .
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-23-2017 08:53 AM
    Edit: of course mobile.

Last edited by TgeekB; 02-23-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    02-23-2017 11:17 AM
    This article is almost a year old, but Chromebooks outsold Macs last year. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...oogle-pc-sales
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-23-2017 01:20 PM
    This article is almost a year old, but Chromebooks outsold Macs last year. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...oogle-pc-sales
    It also mentioned in the article that Windows devices are still "very much on top" in terms of sales.

02-23-2017 01:30 PM
    It also mentioned in the article that Windows devices are still "very much on top" in terms of sales.

Not phones, though.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-23-2017 01:32 PM
    Not phones, though.
    True, but I thought we were talking devices like laptops and tablets too.
    I mean it's easy to say just mobile.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 02-23-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    02-23-2017 01:34 PM
    It would take an act of God for Windows to fall off the top branch in the PC world. That being said, Chromebooks are very good at what they do which is web-based consumption. My Acer 13 is the fastest browser I've ever had and it's not even close.

But that's really all it is.

Guytronic, TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-23-2017 05:12 PM
    It would take an act of God for Windows to fall off the top branch in the PC world. That being said, Chromebooks are very good at what they do which is web-based consumption. My Acer 13 is the fastest browser I've ever had and it's not even close.

But that's really all it is.

They certainly have their place, but won't replace a PC.

02-23-2017 05:52 PM
    Alright I only stated that because I think this is not likely the biggest determining factor in choosing a chromebook and since both seem to have similar tools for privacy, it shouldn't even be brought up. It's simply an opinion you have with 0 proof or knowledge of it. Even something as simple as saying you trust one company over another conveys you are pointing fingers at something suspicious. And it's things like this that spread false rumors on the internet and create false beliefs. Even if your intentions may be good, strong opinions can be interpreted incorrectly.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-23-2017 09:22 PM
    Alright I only stated that because I think this is not likely the biggest determining factor in choosing a chromebook and since both seem to have similar tools for privacy, it shouldn't even be brought up. It's simply an opinion you have with 0 proof or knowledge of it. Even something as simple as saying you trust one company over another conveys you are pointing fingers at something suspicious. And it's things like this that spread false rumors on the internet and create false beliefs. Even if your intentions may be good, strong opinions can be interpreted incorrectly.
    I'm not stating anything false. I'm taking the information and tools each company provides and using that to make an informed decision.
    02-23-2017 10:17 PM
    well, it just indicates for USA, which is one country only and not the world
    02-24-2017 01:04 AM
    I'm not stating anything false. I'm taking the information and tools each company provides and using that to make an informed decision.
    No it's opinion based hence why you say "I trust google more". The tools provide the same solution pretty much including opting out. Google has also been known to get caught doing bad things, including collecting peoples own wifi data using Google streetview cars. It was also investigated in many Euro countries for privacy violations which it was forced to change. MS takes proactive measures to work with European agencies when dealing with privacy.
    There are countless times Google has done a lot of bad stuff and only stopped because they were caught.

Oh and right out of Eric Schmidt's mouth about privacy "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"

Now with privacy focus being strong they may have changed and I don't use the past against them when it comes to hardware or anything. It's called a truly unbiased review.
    02-24-2017 08:02 AM
    Just curious, but why are you trying so hard to convince everyone here that a CB is all anyone needs? If it works for you, that is great, but reading through this thread, it sounds way too much like a sales pitch, JMT.
    While I do agree with you that it did sound a bit like a sales pitch which made it suspect, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just really likes it. Heck, even I can sound like that when I'm talking about the Surface Pro 3/4/Studio, because I think it's really the best device all around. I don't know if I could write out a post like this though - that's quite a bit of work. He should do some freelance for AndroidCentral - heh.
    02-24-2017 11:47 AM
    well, it just indicates for USA, which is one country only and not the world
    I'm not surprised that it did. You can buy like 5 CBs for the cost of one MB and with the wide adoption from school districts, Apple has started to lose its foothold in the education market. MS really need to step up in education - they're trying, but not fast enough. My main argument about CBs in schools is that a similarly configured CB's price is relatively the same to a PC laptop and with far more capability.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2017 11:51 AM
61 123