Phone enthusiast lingo: backup phone, daily driver etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
How does this actually work.....like why does someone actually intentionally use more than one phone? (Business versus personal I get).

More than one device, means keeping more devices charged. Phones all do the same things, more or less. More than one phone means more than one thing to carry.

I'm just not sure I understand this "daily driver" "backup phone" stuff. The phones I don't use all sit in a bin somewhere. I never use them. They are backup on in the sense, that if my current phone dies, I may attempt to use them briefly while buying a new one.

Is this just a thing for people who collect stuff? Like some people have four cars in their garage that they rarely use?

Help me get some insight!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Daily driver is just the term used for a person's primary phone that they use normally.

A backup is just any other phone that's sitting around that is thought of as the backup plan in the event the daily driver is rendered inoperable. I don't think people usually carry around their "backup phone."

But some people do dual-wield devices, its a way to try something new while still having your "main" phone on hand. (like tech reviewers)

And as for people who have a lot of phones, sure, some people have a collection.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Daily driver is just the term used for a person's primary phone that they use normally.

A backup is just any other phone that's sitting around that is thought of as the backup plan in the event the daily driver is rendered inoperable. I don't think people usually carry around their "backup phone."

But some people do dual-wield devices, its a way to try something new while still having your "main" phone on hand. (like tech reviewers)

And as for people who have a lot of phones, sure, some people have a collection.

That seems like a complicated way of saying 'this is my phone' or 'I'm use this phone'. Backup is straight forward enough if taken literally.

I feel like this sort of language applies more to people who are 'juggling phones' and don't really settle on one.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have four phones, the 950XL being the phone I actually use. I find it quite reliable and don't need a backup...
The other are no longer "phones"...
I have a older 830, with no SIM and non-functioning camera has transformed into my "music player".
Then there is a iPhone4, it can be a nice "paperweight" but I keep it underneath the staircase
Then there is a 4th, a solid Nokia 6303, it's no longer a phone but a reliable "alarm clock" . .

...!!

Last edited:

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Lumina 950 is covered in dust at this point. The Essential phone has been hanging out by the charger for a few weeks. Right now, I've gone back to my Samsung S8, and my work iPhone is always on me unfortunately.

Why? I don't know. Really loved Windows phone, but the writing on the wall forced me away. The Essential phone's Bluetooth issues pushed me away too, but I really liked the phone - especially the stock Android part. That's really my only knock on the S8, all of Samsung's bloat and garbage they've stacked on top of Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss