Universal Wireless HDMI Adapter

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, which uses MiraCast to mirror or extend my Surface Pro 3 or Lumia 950XL's screen to my TV. This setup works great for me at home, but I'm associated with a business group with members who have all sorts of devices/OSes (Windows, MAC, iOS, Android).

So I was looking for a universal wireless HDMI adapter that would work like the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, but with Windows, MAC, iOS, and Android. I've found a lot of options, but some seem to require Wifi, some seem to have quality issues or compatibility issues, and it's hard to determine what would likely work for best for the group.

Does anyone here know of a universal wireless HDMI adapter that does not need Wifi and will work with multiple devices/OSes, and works well?

Thanks,
Skippy

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows and Android, sure, as they both support miracast.

Apple uses it's own technology (Airplay)

I'm not sure if what you're looking for will be possible.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Windows and Android, sure, as they both support miracast.

Apple uses it's own technology (Airplay)

I'm not sure if what you're looking for will be possible.

What about something like this: https://www.amazon.com/PTVdisplay-Wireless-Display-Miracast-Smartphone/dp/B01MU5URCX/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1503949818&sr=8-9&keywords=wireless+hdmi+adapter

I'm just not clear if these types of devices need to connect to your home wifi to work, or if they can connect directly without wifi. Also not sure about the quality. The reviews of this device and others like it are all over the place.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I believe Android removed Miracast support in.....was it 6.0? Essentially, for Android, you need Chromecast, which will also work on a Windows PC (you can cast your whole screen via Chrome). I believe WC had an article a while back about AirPlay alternatives (some of which allowed you to stream from Windows to an Apple TV). But in general, no, there is no one happy standard, since both Apple and Google have their own proprietary formats.

Regarding offline/wi-fi usage....I think (but am not 100% sure) that you can stream (maybe even mirror) to a Chromecast without internet access. It still goes over wi-fi, so you'd need an ad hoc network, or a router set up. I've read some people have done this no problem, while others state that it still needs internet access at the beginning, even to download the apps on the fly. I'm having a hard time finding out the truth, but it's sketchy at best....assume internet access required for a Chromecast.

Last edited:

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
......But in general, no, there is no one happy standard, since both Apple and Google have their own proprietary formats.......

Thanks beachedwhale42 for the response. I'm aware that they have their own proprietary formats, so I'm not looking for one happy standard. I'm looking for one device which incorporates multiple standards.

I think Google/Android/Chromecast is the least of my concerns. I think, in my particular situation, something that accommodated Miracast for Windows and Airplay for Mac/iOS would cover every situation.

Thanks.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I guess what I was getting at was that since there is not one happy standard (everyone has their own), it's nearly impossible to find a single device that supports all of them. Specifically, I've not seen a single device that supports both Miracast and AirPlay. I've seen a few things (can't remember them by name) that claim to mirror Windows displays to an AppleTV, but I have no idea if they work super well, if at all. Good luck....you may just end up carrying the Microsoft Adapter and an AppleTV everywhere :-(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720