Setting alternative "alerts" for text messages

ShuckyD

Aug 16, 2007
Visit site
OK, so at work I'm trying to setup a notification system with our APC UPS units. I have them configured with my email settings and they will email me after 60 seconds of a power outage, this is fine and all, but each night as I sleep with my phone by my bedside I get many emails and never wake up. So I thought, why not do it as a txt message, so after googling a bit I figured out how to get it to send an email as a text message, got that.

Now the big questions that I cannot overcome in WM is if I can set seperate sounds for known contacts' text messages vs. unknown senders... I see in the Settings > Sounds and Notifications on my WM 6.1 Treo Pro that I can setup a sound (ding) for when I get a text message and I get several throughout the day, that isnt even enough to wake me... So what I want to do is set a really annoying alert on my phone that when I get a text message from an unknown # that I am woken up and alerted.

I also plan on sending the emails out from my UPS unit to a couple other people, but since I'm the head IT guy I am trying to create myself a backup so that I dont "find out" about a power outage from someone else (if they even see it on their phone) getting a message and then calling me.

Anyone know of any programs/tweaks to do this?

ShuckyD

Aug 16, 2007
Visit site
Nice, now how about a free alternative.. I've been looking on pocketpcfreeware.com a bit already. I may end up just getting the app you mentioned, but if I do this for 3 WM devices then a free app would be more "cost effective" :D

But heck in the longrun what is < $100 when it means server/power outages

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That sucks I haven't used this program for a year or so the lite version used to be free. Well at least there is a trial version so you can try it and see if it works for you.

ShuckyD

Aug 16, 2007
Visit site
yea I plan on doing the trial, then hopefully finding an alternative. I looked on SPB's site because I have actually purchased some of their products before, but didnt see anything that said it did what I was looking for. I've been perusing some forums in the meantime looking for a free alternative...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786