View Poll Results: Desktop or Laptop what do you use for PC gaming?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Desktop

21 56.76%
  • Laptop

10 27.03%
  • Both

6 16.22%
04-21-2014 05:51 PM
74 123
tools
    Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity. With the watercooling additive it adds anti fungal, anti-algae, anti-corrosion and chemicals that make the water even less conductive on the off chance minerals find their way into your system. I've had a spill before, didn't even notice and it caused no damage.
    Still, I don't trust it, and even if I did, my mum won't allow it. With the 5 or so fans in there currently, it's absolutely fine. And they aren't even that noisy (well I've not noticed it on stream when I watched my live stream back, which is all that matters).
    David Best likes this.
    07-15-2013 06:08 AM
    Desktop, 100%

Laptops have always been a problem for me.

Limited upgrade path, can't have 2 hard drives in most laptops, which means if you fit an SSD, it has to be 500GB+, screen can't be changed easily, crappy keyboard etc etc

But here's my PC specs.

2x Acer monitors.
    24" and 19"
    5.1 speakers (creative)
    My chair also has a 2.1 wireless speaker system.

I've got a cheap Xenta keyboard (I don't like spending massive money on keyboards)
    Sharkoon Mouse (This one) I HIGHLY recommend this mouse.

Inside we got;
    ASUS P8Z68
    i5-2310 Got it overclocked to 3.1GHz atm.
    16GB RAM 4x 4GB
    Samsung 830 SSD (256GB) - this is the item that turned my PC into a beast.
    2TB Western Digital HDD
    Cheap, standard card reader.
    MSI 6850.

The only problem with having an SSD is that my user area takes up the space quickly, so I created a mirror link to my HDD.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    07-15-2013 06:27 AM
    i have....
    i5-2400 @3.10GHz
    8GB ram
    2 geforce gtx 660 TI 4GB SLI
    Blu-ray drive
    3TB hdd (1 TB just for games)
    22" screen
    R.a.t 5
    Logitech G510 keyboard
    and a Belkin N52te
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    07-15-2013 06:44 AM
    Is the RAT5 good?

Was thinking about the RAT9. . .
    07-15-2013 06:52 AM
    i have....
    i5-2400 @3.10GHz
    8GB ram
    2 geforce gtx 660 TI 4GB SLI
    Blu-ray drive
    3TB hdd (1 TB just for games)
    22" screen
    R.a.t 5
    Logitech G510 keyboard
    and a Belkin N52te
    n52te user! Same here! :D

Bought it like.. 5 years ago for WoW, wouldn't bother playing PC games without it anymore. Nowadays I use it for all games, MMORPGs, shooters, you name it :P

When this one breaks, definitely gonna get something similar.

Anyways, my setup:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3,5ghz
    8gb of DDR3 1333mhz
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB OC
    23" screen
    Razer Imperator
    Belkin n52te
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    07-15-2013 06:55 AM
    yeah i love it and i use it for battlefield 3 and skyrim
    07-15-2013 07:32 AM
    Good stuff, the mouse I have Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    is ace for battlefield, instantly switching DPI and setting up macros is real easy.

But still seriously considering the RAT9
    07-15-2013 08:17 AM
    Is the RAT5 good?

Was thinking about the RAT9. . .
    i love mt rat5 but i dont like having wireless mouses or keyboards
    07-15-2013 08:31 AM
    My PC rig
    i5-3770k
    8GB ram
    Nvidia GTX 770
    1TB WD HDD
    23-24" screen
    Logitech g9x
    Some oldass keyboard from local store.

Aswell you can check my games in my steam profile below(HINT:You need to click on signature, you can add me if you really want to aswell so we might trade cards or something in future)
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    07-15-2013 08:38 AM
    I stopped playing PC games a while ago (play a few from the Windows Store still). I use my PC from my bed, while connected to my TV, so it's a less-than-ideal gaming setup, to say the least. I played WoW on a laptop before I built my desktop, and I can say with great certainty that it's not a great experience. I played that, Plants Vs. Zombies, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2, and a little bit of Urban Terror (a standalone game that was originally a Quake III: Team Arena mod that I played as a kid). Once I did a clean install of Windows 8, it just wasn't worth the time to reinstall Steam and my games over 3Mbps DSL, considering the 150GB data cap AT&T puts on its DSL, along with the fact that I simply wasn't playing games much. However, we just got Comcast (25 Mbps with a 250GB cap) a bit over a week ago, so I might reinstall them now that it won't take a week to do.

Laptops just don't do it for me, though. The one I had ran REALLY hot, and they're too cramped for my liking. I hate trackpads as well. I think I'd be more likely to get a hybrid device, if I even get another mobile computer.
    07-15-2013 11:47 AM
    I can say the same as most of the other folks have. I assembled my own desktop machine for gaming. I've had it for a few years now. I haven't seen any reason to upgrade it from a hardware perspective. I did just add an SSD which really gave it quite a boost. I also upgraded the OS to Win 8 Pro when it was onsale at release. Before that I ran Vista. Still not sure why Vista has such a bad rep. I never had any issues with it. Other than that I swap-out the keyboard/mouse now and then.
    07-15-2013 12:48 PM
    I've been playing a lot of games on my Surface and while they do default to LOW details, they are quite playable .

However, it was time to upgrade my video card on my desktop. It was a Geforce 8500 GT. I went to a GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB and I've been blown away by it...can't believe I went this long without upgrading. Now, my video card is no longer the lowest "Windows Experience" rating...(though that will mean nothing in windows 8.1)
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-15-2013 01:42 PM
    Desktop of course, it offers extensive hardware customization and the one-of-many-very-important-features: customizable and of course much much better cooling, which can be customized by adding more vents, even a liquid cooling system upgrade, which the laptop doesn't allow.
    My PC is almost 7 years old, and it still runs CoD4 and L4D2 fairly smooth, I mean so smooth, that it offers a decent gameplay (not constant 60fps, but it's okay :D).

I'd definitely choose a desktop over a laptop for gaming. Laptops are for travelling, office work, browsing, and much other stuff, just not for gaming, although they're being built also for that.
    07-15-2013 03:22 PM
    Thinking about it, I would like to have an option to game on a laptop. It's pretty hot over here right now and it gets exceedingly hot in my room, so having that option to move to a cooler room would have been nice. But alas, I tough it out in that heat

Still, I don't trust it, and even if I did, my mum won't allow it. With the 5 or so fans in there currently, it's absolutely fine. And they aren't even that noisy (well I've not noticed it on stream when I watched my live stream back, which is all that matters).
    Reminds me when I told my mum I wanted to build my own PC. She just gave me that look like "but can you do it??" No doubt her reaction would be just as astonished if I told her I want to put a water cooling loop in my rig.
    07-16-2013 04:32 AM
    Reminds me when I told my mum I wanted to build my own PC. She just gave me that look like "but can you do it??" No doubt her reaction would be just as astonished if I told her I want to put a water cooling loop in my rig.
    Haha, I know the feeling. The main bottleneck for me is broadband speed. Everything else works well, and I would love to stream at higher bitrates.
    07-16-2013 07:09 AM
    07-16-2013 03:22 PM
    Primarily laptop, I occasionally commandeer my sister's desktop for heavy stuff like Planetside 2, Lost Planet 2...

Lenovo ThinkPad T400:
    - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (Montevina) - 2.26 GHz
    - Intel GM45 Chipset Integrated Graphics - Intel GMA 4500MHD (fear it!)
    - 4 GB DDR3 RAM (up from 2)
    - 1280x800 LCD (thought about upgrading it to 1440x900 LED, but decided against it) - 16:10 woo. (I frequently hook it up to a 14" 1024x768 display left over from an old desktop)
    - OCZ Agility 3 120 GB SSD (I don't know where I put the original hard drive...)
    - Windows 8.1 Preview (thought about downgrading to 7, but 8's efficiency has got me hooked, despite some driver problems.)
    - Ubuntu 13.04 (for when Windows borks, nice to have too)
    - and I swapped out the CD drive for another battery after my main one went downhill quickly. (may or may not switch it for a 2nd HDD caddy)

My gaming options have been limited by the lack of killer graphics
    - Half-Life 2 ran great at pretty high settings, Halo 2 was reasonable
    - Starcraft II was solid at low settings.
    - AssaultCube and Halo PC? a breeze (now for Custom Edition mods like SPv2 however, not so much)
    - Minecraft is just playable, not too good fps, but lag and pvp don't jive well with it.
    - Planetside 2? seconds per frame.
    - Lost Planet 2? its not pretty

I'm not even going to think about newer games like BF3, oh man.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    07-16-2013 05:29 PM
    The processors aren't fair to compare. The APU will come with a competent-enough GPU for some games on medium-ish settings, it depends on what you play. However, fi you want to play anything major and/or on high setting, you have to get a separate video card either way, making buying an APU completely silly.
    07-18-2013 01:47 AM
    The processors aren't fair to compare. The APU will come with a competent-enough GPU for some games on medium-ish settings, it depends on what you play. However, fi you want to play anything major and/or on high setting, you have to get a separate video card either way, making buying an APU completely silly.
    This is on a budget so no high end gaming that why I choice an APU so that I don't have to pay for a graphics card.
    07-18-2013 04:56 AM
    i currently have a desktop:

i5 2nd generation
    4Gb RAM
    1Tb HDD
    HD 4870
    AOC Led 20"

the graphic card is kinda outdated but it still runs most recent games at med-low with a decent fps...

unfortunately, i'll have to temporarily say goodbye to desktop world cause i'm REALLY gonna need a laptop for college...but here in Brazil, even the crapiest ones are too expensive for what they offer SO i decided to invest high: imma sell my desktop to my boyfriend (best deal ever, i know he gonna take good care of it and i can still use it whenever i want :D) and buy a gaming laptop!

but as soon as i graduate (in about 3-4 years) and get a job, i'll buy a desktop for gaming again AND keep the laptop for work :D

like i said, i'm doing this because i'm really gonna need this laptop for classes and investing on a cheap ****ty one ain't worth it...besides, buying even a cheap laptop won't allow me to upgrade my graphic card for at least another year (living in Brazil sux) BUT once i'm graduated and have my own monies, i can do w/a i want :D

so i'm cool with this temporary solution, it's for the sake of my future >.<
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    07-18-2013 05:32 AM
    Laptop, I have a MSI GX60. This AMD A10 and Radeon 7970 are mean!! Just got 2 weeks ago
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    07-18-2013 05:41 AM
    Laptop, I have a MSI GX60. This AMD A10 and Radeon 7970 are mean!! Just got 2 weeks ago
    A beast of laptop I want one with touchscreen!
    07-18-2013 07:42 AM
    A beast of laptop I want one with touchscreen!
    Its a steal at only $1199.00 USD imo
    07-18-2013 08:24 AM
    I use a laptop does what i need it to do using a nvidia 6300 series
    07-18-2013 08:25 AM
    I use a MSI GT60, has an i7 3630QM, 12GB DDR3, GTX670M and 1TB RAID0
    07-18-2013 08:32 AM
74 123