PC Build Challenge!

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Definitely try to get him to get that over what you posted in the OP.

For gaming, the difference between an i3 and i5 will be the turbo boost. i3 doesn't have it, and since most games are single threaded, being able to turbo up one of the cores will be a good thing to have. Also, get the best GPU you can. The GTX650 is going to be a much better choice than the GT640.

I'd also be doing you a disservice if I didn't at least bring up AMD. Some of their higher-end APU's offer very compelling performance on a budget. CPU performance will suffer a bit when compared to Intel, but not so much that gaming performance will suffer. At this level of performance the GPU will still be the bottleneck in the performance area for gaming.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Definitely try to get him to get that over what you posted in the OP.

For gaming, the difference between an i3 and i5 will be the turbo boost. i3 doesn't have it, and since most games are single threaded, being able to turbo up one of the cores will be a good thing to have. Also, get the best GPU you can. The GTX650 is going to be a much better choice than the GT640.

I'd also be doing you a disservice if I didn't at least bring up AMD. Some of their higher-end APU's offer very compelling performance on a budget. CPU performance will suffer a bit when compared to Intel, but not so much that gaming performance will suffer. At this level of performance the GPU will still be the bottleneck in the performance area for gaming.

I ran AMD by him, and he refuses because "his friends say AMD sucks" and I don't even feel like disputing it with him. lol

Im still waiting on him to meet me and talk about it though...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A 600w psu (assuming it is 80bronze or better rated) is plenty unless you go with a top-of-the-line Video card (which you aren't).

Also, there is no reason to get an i7 for gaming. Get an unlock i5.

Drop the DVD software.

Get a cheaper version of Windows 8.

Go 2 sticks of 4gb each.

I haven't paid much attention to value video cards so I don't have a suggestion.

EDIT: You should be able to get a solid motherboard for $60. Shop around and only get what you need.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Might also want to consider an aftermarket cpu cooler with some artic silver paste. This isn't necessary, but will be important if any of the following apply: overclocking, less than great case air flow or typically in a warm environment.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Might also want to consider an aftermarket cpu cooler with some artic silver paste. This isn't necessary, but will be important if any of the following apply: overclocking, less than great case air flow or typically in a warm environment.

I prefer my homemade thermal compound. lmao

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Lol I ran out and I was repairing a 10 year old PC. just wanted to get it running for a little, mixed together 75% toothpaste and 25% vasaline. Surprisingly works just as good as store bought compound! (though it isn't great to use for an extended period of time)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know you have your heart set on Windows 8 but, If you go with Windows 7 Home premium, you don't need DVD software as it comes with Windows Media Center that has the DVD codec installed (it's a $10 upgrade on Windows 8). Might save you a little, if the person your building it for does not care about Windows 8 (Windows 7 licensees are cheaper too)

Yea, I would go i5 or i7 if you can fit it but, the real question is if the person you building it for is into gaming on the PC, if so, then see if the budget could be upped a little, a better CPU, a better PSW and video card would make a world of difference if the user will be gaming. At least up the video card if there is a MAYBE there..

Lol I ran out and I was repairing a 10 year old PC. just wanted to get it running for a little, mixed together 75% toothpaste and 25% vasaline. Surprisingly works just as good as store bought compound! (though it isn't great to use for an extended period of time)

Dam, I'm sure it worked but, I have seen AMD chips with out heat sinks catch on fire, so that could be scary!!!!!

Not worth the risk on a modern CPU....still interesting..

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

It will work as long as you use fluoride free toothpaste. The fluoride will actually corrode your processor, if you use it for to long. As you mentioned its only best to use, if you really need to use your PC buy can't get new heatpaste.

I would actually recommend innovative coolings diamond heatpaste, its only ~$6.75 on amazon. I use it in both my pc and 360 and its far better at dissipating heat than silver based compounds.

Sent from the stars...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss