Brand new to Steam--What are some good games?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I went for the Humble Jumbo Bundle, and it's downloading/installing now. :smile:

Which game(s) are you going to play from it? I'm debating it because I really liked Sanctum, and since Sanctum 2 alone is $15, I might have to go for the bundle for it alone (even if I don't end up playing it much, $4 is hardly a waste of money).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Which game(s) are you going to play from it? I'm debating it because I really liked Sanctum, and since Sanctum 2 alone is $15, I might have to go for the bundle for it alone (even if I don't end up playing it much, $4 is hardly a waste of money).
I'm not sure yet. I'll try them all tomorrow and see which ones I like. I just took the bundle, since it's cheap, and I donated entirely to the charity.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You really managed to get that much out of those games? I did pretty-much everything on Skyrim, including getting all of the Achievements, and I was around 160 hours. I guess if you're on Steam and play with the mods a lot, and you get the DLC (I didn't), you could get 200-250 hours, but I have a hard time imagining a way to get 2,000+ hours out of it, and the same woudl go for the Fallout titles.

I agree on Fallout, Borderlands, and Skyrim as suggestions, though. All are top-notch games, with Fallout and Skyrim being awesome single-player games and Borderlands being great for co-op play. I'd pick Assassin's Creed over Batman for the third-person action series though, I'm just not a superhero fan, and that's from someone not in-love with the AC series, or third-person action as a whole. Rage is really cool, but on the short side. It definitely has me dying to see a new Quake.
What would you recommend other than Rage?

I'm actually returning to gaming after last having played back in the days of Quake III Arena, which I loved. I've been pretty much out of the loop for ~12 years.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You might like Antichamber, The Stanley Parable, any of the Portal series or Dishonored. If you got Borderlands 2 we could start a WPCentral coop run!

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
You really managed to get that much out of those games? I did pretty-much everything on Skyrim, including getting all of the Achievements, and I was around 160 hours. I guess if you're on Steam and play with the mods a lot, and you get the DLC (I didn't), you could get 200-250 hours, but I have a hard time imagining a way to get 2,000+ hours out of it, and the same woudl go for the Fallout titles.

I agree on Fallout, Borderlands, and Skyrim as suggestions, though. All are top-notch games, with Fallout and Skyrim being awesome single-player games and Borderlands being great for co-op play. I'd pick Assassin's Creed over Batman for the third-person action series though, I'm just not a superhero fan, and that's from someone not in-love with the AC series, or third-person action as a whole. Rage is really cool, but on the short side. It definitely has me dying to see a new Quake.

We certainly agree on the games but I think you are misinterpreting what I mean by hundreds of hours. I figure one hundred to two hundred hours is quite possible for Fallout 3 or Skyrim and so I said "hundreds". You'd have to be aimlessly wandering around or some mad mod person to get a thousand plus, so I didn't say thousands...

I have forgotten Bioshock I and II. Those are EXCELLENT games. I've not played Bioshock Infinite yet, but I expect that it is excellent as well.

Thinking about it I'd probably suggest Bioshock 1 as my first suggestion.......

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh if you guys do a Borderlands 2 playthrough that would be awesome. I'll forget that I have assignemnts to do just to get a few hours in :p

B23h: I've been meaning to get back into Mass Effect 3 MP for the longest time. I'd love to hop on one time if you're still playing it

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You can download the digital version or buy the DVD's. It's easiest to buy the DVD's because the digital download is really big.
I see what you're saying. My internet usage last night was 43 GB, mainly from downloading the Humble Bundle package. I don't have caps or slow internet, but that could be an issue for someone with either.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What would you recommend other than Rage?

I'm actually returning to gaming after last having played back in the days of Quake III Arena, which I loved. I've been pretty much out of the loop for ~12 years.

Urban Terror

If you liked Quake III Arena, that's actually where I started playing shooters. It was a Quake III Team Arena mod, and now it's a free game of its own. It's not a Steam title, but it's such a good game. It makes you wonder how that game has more-advanced features than modern shooters.

Also, Rage is pretty good, it's just not great. I really thought the new id Tech 5 engine was cool in it, how you can shoot a running enemy and he'll stagger based on where he's shot. You could always look into the Quake and Unreal combo packs, if you want to play those games still. You haven't really explained what all you're looking to play now too well, so I don't have any specific suggestions.

That said, regardless of what you want to get, I'd wait a week or two before I got into buying things heavily. The Winter Sale will have 1,000+ games on-sale at crazy prices, and oyu can load up at that time. You should have enough with the Humble Bundle to keep you occupied.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
We certainly agree on the games but I think you are misinterpreting what I mean by hundreds of hours. I figure one hundred to two hundred hours is quite possible for Fallout 3 or Skyrim and so I said "hundreds". You'd have to be aimlessly wandering around or some mad mod person to get a thousand plus, so I didn't say thousands...

I have forgotten Bioshock I and II. Those are EXCELLENT games. I've not played Bioshock Infinite yet, but I expect that it is excellent as well.

Thinking about it I'd probably suggest Bioshock 1 as my first suggestion.......

Haha, I misread your comment. You said "tens to hundreds," but I read it as "tens of hundreds," which is where I got REALLY confused. Bioshock is great, but if I am to be honest, I REALLY don't like Bioshock 2. I keep trying to finish it on 360, but it's SUCH A DRAG. Everything's a grind, and it's just silly how this is supposed to be a Big Daddy--you're incredibly fragile, and every form of ammo is scarce, so you're constantly just doing melee-Vita Chamber fights.

I'd probably make Fallout 3 my first suggestion on PC, maybe Skyrim (because of the community support). Bioshock would be up there if Bioshock 2 wasn't so annoying to play, I think.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Urban Terror

If you liked Quake III Arena, that's actually where I started playing shooters. It was a Quake III Team Arena mod, and now it's a free game of its own. It's not a Steam title, but it's such a good game. It makes you wonder how that game has more-advanced features than modern shooters.

Also, Rage is pretty good, it's just not great. I really thought the new id Tech 5 engine was cool in it, how you can shoot a running enemy and he'll stagger based on where he's shot. You could always look into the Quake and Unreal combo packs, if you want to play those games still. You haven't really explained what all you're looking to play now too well, so I don't have any specific suggestions.

That said, regardless of what you want to get, I'd wait a week or two before I got into buying things heavily. The Winter Sale will have 1,000+ games on-sale at crazy prices, and oyu can load up at that time. You should have enough with the Humble Bundle to keep you occupied.

I'm going to wait for the Winter Sale before I get anything else. Thanks to you and everyone else who mentioned the sale.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Haha, I misread your comment. You said "tens to hundreds," but I read it as "tens of hundreds," which is where I got REALLY confused. Bioshock is great, but if I am to be honest, I REALLY don't like Bioshock 2. I keep trying to finish it on 360, but it's SUCH A DRAG. Everything's a grind, and it's just silly how this is supposed to be a Big Daddy--you're incredibly fragile, and every form of ammo is scarce, so you're constantly just doing melee-Vita Chamber fights.

I'd probably make Fallout 3 my first suggestion on PC, maybe Skyrim (because of the community support). Bioshock would be up there if Bioshock 2 wasn't so annoying to play, I think.

Your critique of Bioshock II may have a bit of truth to it, but it's been awhile since I've played it so I can't really say. I will agree that I liked it less than Bioshock, but on the other hand I did in fact finish the game. The truth is there are lots of games that I simply don't finish for one reason or another. I loved Fallout 3 but I never finished the game yet I've gone back to it recently and am close enough to make the final push. In one sense I guess I could rate games on three premises: was the game compelling enough to play through to the end without distractions, if not did I return to the game and complete it, or never returned to the game or never completed....

Part of the issue is that I tend to play massive games, the other part is that I am part dog and there are lot's of squirrels.

speaking of which

th.jpg

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Your critique of Bioshock II may have a bit of truth to it, but it's been awhile since I've played it so I can't really say. I will agree that I liked it less than Bioshock, but on the other hand I did in fact finish the game. The truth is there are lots of games that I simply don't finish for one reason or another. I loved Fallout 3 but I never finished the game yet I've gone back to it recently and am close enough to make the final push. In one sense I guess I could rate games on three premises: was the game compelling enough to play through to the end without distractions, if not did I return to the game and complete it, or never returned to the game or never completed....

Part of the issue is that I tend to play massive games, the other part is that I am part dog and there are lot's of squirrels.

speaking of which

View attachment 51433

As of right now, I think that BioShock 2 is the only major title I started but never finished (I actually didn't finish Halo 2 because the multiplayer sucked me in, but I'd finish it if I had the chance). It took a while to get through Assassin's Creed II, but I actually di it AND got 100% Achievement completion (did that a couple of weeks ago). It took a 2-year break from Forza 4 until a couple of months ago or so, and after getting a bunch of it done, I am on another break (it's 1,150 or so races, I am 350-400 in, and it takes something like 200 hours to finish, if not more). I've obviously not finished a bunch of sports games, but that is because they take FOREVER and get really redundant from year to year. I am doing NBA 2K12 now. BioShock 2 is the only one where every time I put it in, I do it as an obligation to TRY to finish it, but I quit in about 30 minutes.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to wait for the Winter Sale before I get anything else. Thanks to you and everyone else who mentioned the sale.

You mentioned waiting, but if you have played/liked Bioshock, then BioShock Infinite (normally $40) is $10 on Steam right now: Save 75% on BioShock Infinite on Steam

I have a hard time believing that even the Winter Sale will best that price (might equal it).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb