Brand new to Steam--What are some good games?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I decided to create a Steam account and try out some games. I'm brand new to Steam and don't know anything about its games at all.

I haven't installed a single game yet at this point.

What are some games that you'd recommend for someone brand new to Steam? Please describe the games and let me know why you like them.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
What are your favorite genres of games? I play pretty much everything but lean towards action/rpg.

Action/Hack n Slash: Torchlight II is really good. Its kind of a Diablo II/III clone with more cartoony graphics. Path of Exile is another decent Diablo clone.

Action: the Batman Arkham series. Great visuals and good story and action.

First person shooter: Call of Duty series, Battlefield series, Borderlands 2, Fallout series.

Zombie action: Left for Dead series.

Strategy: Sid Meiers Civilization series. Turn based empire building.

RPG: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Dragon Age. All great fantasy based rpgs.

There are a TON of small name games. Read the feedback and you can really find some gems.

The best thing are the crazy sales that Steam runs. During the Steam summer sale I got the Id pack - 22 games for $80. Check back each day and make sure if you want a game to add it to your wish list. You will then receive a notification when it goes on sale.

Have fun!

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I'd like a Barbie game.

lol. On topic: My personal faves are Terraria and Torchlight 2. I purchased Terraria a few years back for $9 and I've gotten countless hours of entertainment out of it. It usually goes on sale for around $2.00 now. It's even better if you make your friends purchase it too for multi player.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As was mentioned, what kinds of games do you like?

--I'd start with Team Fortress 2, as it is free-to-play. It's a cartoonish shooter that's a lot of fun. Other good FPS titles are Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Left 4 Dead 2 (if you like zombies; the first game's really shallow and redundant, but the second's a bit better).
--If you like League of Legends, I think I still have a bunch of DotA 2 beta keys, and I could send you one.
--If you like tower defense games, I suggest Plants Vs. Zombies (I'm sure you know what it is by now, haha) and Sanctum. Sanctum is something of a FPS tower defense. You get guns in an FPS setting to shoot the waves of enemies, but you also get to build defenses to protect your "core." It's in a grid setup, so you try to position your defenses on the grid to create a long maze for ground troops to get through. It's a really cool game.
--Music games like Audiosurf are nice. You probably know what it is, but in case you don't: you have a track with colored blocks to collect. The track varies by the beat of your music.
--If you like the Tycoon games, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is a good one.

Those are some I can throw out there quickly, but I play mostly on Xbox. Playing PC games on your bed (where I use my desktop from) is a pain, so I don't usually bother. Let us know which types of games you like, and we can probably give better examples. Of course, just browsing on Steam is really easy, and most games have demos, it seems.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'll definitely check out Left 4 Dead 2, since I like Zombie stuff.

I'm not at all familiar with Tower Defense games, but I'll bing/google them and get more information about that genre.

I have a question regarding sales: does Steam send emails when things go on sale, or will I have to look for sales on their site or on Twitter?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Steam client will always have them on its home page. You can add games you like to your "Wishlist," and you'll get an e-mail letting you know when those games are on-sale.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Awesome Laura, welcome to steam. A lot good recommendations already, most of which I would have also said. I'd say Bastion, Dragon Age Origins, Trine series, The Witcher series and XCOM: Enemy Uknown are worth a look. As some others have said, Civ V w/ Brave New World expansion is great. Also Torchlight II. If you're interested in Torchlight series, I have an extra copy of the first one if you're interested ;)

Steam holiday sale is probably coming soon so you picked a good time :D One thing about the "Wishlist" email notifications is I don't always get them, however they do work most of the time.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Laura, are you looking for single player or multiplayer?

Also, anyone who is playing multiplayer CoD:Ghost on the PC and is clanless, I am in a group of old tarts, most of us are ex-military that play CoD:Ghost. We have a webpage, a ventrilo server and play 3 to 5 nights a weeks. normally around 8pm CST. If interested, send me a PM for the information.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Laura, are you looking for single player or multiplayer?
Both are good.

Also, anyone who is playing multiplayer CoD:Ghost on the PC and is clanless, I am in a group of old tarts, most of us are ex-military that play CoD:Ghost. We have a webpage, a ventrilo server and play 3 to 5 nights a weeks. normally around 8pm CST. If interested, send me a PM for the information.
I didn't think CoD was a Steam game.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Both are good.

I didn't think CoD was a Steam game.

Yeah, it is. The only games you won't see on Steam (for the most part) are newer EA games (since about Battlefield 3 and later), Blizzard titles, and League of Legends. Well, and those silly Flash-based games. CoD and Assassin's Creed and all of those popular multi-platform titles are typically on there. If you're unsure, there's a Search function.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Amazingly I am back to Fallout right now (and I mean the first one). Batman Arkham City or Arkham Asylum. Borderlands 1 or 2. Company of Heroes... Skyrim or any of the Fallout games. LA Noire. Rage Mass Effect 1 or 2 (can't get 3 on Steam)

Fallout/Skyrim/Mass Effect are all massive "role playing games" that you can easily sink tens to hundreds of hours into. A lot of the AAA combat titles are six or seven hours long but can provide lots of multiplayer fun. Personally I don't do much in the way of multiplayer with the exception of Mass Effect 3.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Amazingly I am back to Fallout right now (and I mean the first one). Batman Arkham City or Arkham Asylum. Borderlands 1 or 2. Company of Heroes... Skyrim or any of the Fallout games. LA Noire. Rage Mass Effect 1 or 2 (can't get 3 on Steam)

Fallout/Skyrim/Mass Effect are all massive "role playing games" that you can easily sink tens to hundreds of hours into. A lot of the AAA combat titles are six or seven hours long but can provide lots of multiplayer fun. Personally I don't do much in the way of multiplayer with the exception of Mass Effect 3.

You really managed to get that much out of those games? I did pretty-much everything on Skyrim, including getting all of the Achievements, and I was around 160 hours. I guess if you're on Steam and play with the mods a lot, and you get the DLC (I didn't), you could get 200-250 hours, but I have a hard time imagining a way to get 2,000+ hours out of it, and the same woudl go for the Fallout titles.

I agree on Fallout, Borderlands, and Skyrim as suggestions, though. All are top-notch games, with Fallout and Skyrim being awesome single-player games and Borderlands being great for co-op play. I'd pick Assassin's Creed over Batman for the third-person action series though, I'm just not a superhero fan, and that's from someone not in-love with the AC series, or third-person action as a whole. Rage is really cool, but on the short side. It definitely has me dying to see a new Quake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb