08-01-2014 03:22 PM
32 12
tools
    *QwarkDreams uses confusion on Jas00555*
    *it is very effective*

Alright, now you've confused me. Maybe I'm not understanding you or maybe you've misspoke, but you're not making any sense. First you were saying that having multiple accounts is annoying to people and you would rather have one. Then when I point out that you wouldn't need to create another account, you say it could be a bad thing because more of your stuff could be compromised. You can't have it both ways unless you wanted to make two Microsoft accounts. One for email and one for Windows 8.X.

To be perfectly honest, you sound like a Steam apologist that is just like "there's no need to make a Steam competitor because Steam is amazing". Well, I disagree that Steam is amazing and I would rather use the account that I already have with my PC than make another one.
    Gee, I'm sorry^^ But you understood me quite well ;-)

What I meant was that having multiple accounts is annoying but having one account for many, many services just isn't that safe and it kinda worries me. The more services are merged into one single account (many services, one email address + password) the more you lose if there is a problem with it (being hacked or something like that).
    Also, I'd rather have one account for one service and stick with it than many accounts for many services (not one account for many services).

That might be true. I really like Steam. It has all the games I want, unlockable achievements in games, a nice interface and great prices (if you take advantage of the sales). It's not perfect; e.g. I find it quite annoying that I need my cousin to buy games for me because I don't have a PayPal account or credit card (Steam prepaid cards aren't available in my country). But overall I'm very satisfied with the services it offers.

The reason why I think that other services won't be serious competitors is that Steam was introduced in 2003 for Windows. That means almost 11 years of experience and a loyal community. That's a huge advantage. Every competitor will be compared to Steam and new brands and services never have it easy against a company that has been around - and successful - for such a long time.

I just lost my hope in MS because they half-assed GFWL and just killed it. No attempt to save it or improve it while it was still "alive".
    07-31-2014 07:24 PM
    The reason why I think that other services won't be serious competitors is that Steam was introduced in 2003 for Windows. That means almost 11 years of experience and a loyal community.
    Sony released the PlayStation 7 years before the Xbox. Nintendo got into the console business in 1977, 24 years before Microsoft, and look where they are now. Persistence can make up for lost time. The tech community is a pretty fickle one, IMO. If something better comes along, it'll usually succeed.
    08-01-2014 12:41 AM
    Sony released the PlayStation 7 years before the Xbox. Nintendo got into the console business in 1977, 24 years before Microsoft, and look where they are now. Persistence can make up for lost time. The tech community is a pretty fickle one, IMO. If something better comes along, it'll usually succeed.
    That was a different time. There was less competition and consumers and companies were more patient. Also, MS had a completely different target audience, being mostly adults. That's how they established themselves in the console and gaming market. The attempt to take on Apple's iPod with the Zune was a different story that shows pretty good how the market works today: if a product/service doesn't get as much attention and is less profitable as expected it gets cancelled.
    08-01-2014 01:18 AM
    Also, everyone hated Steam in the beginning ;)
    But I get you. Steam is awesome (seriously). It does almost everything right. But it just bugs me that the best and "standard" gaming service on Microsoft machines is a competitor's product (because I think Microsoft and Valve are competitors and I think Gaben thinks so as well). It's a bit like earning Xbox achievements on a Playstation.
    What would Microsoft have to do to win you over, QwarkDreams? Or maybe "win you over" is a bit too extreme. What would Microsoft have to do so you wouldn't mind running a Microsoft-powered service on your PC next to Steam?
    08-01-2014 07:29 AM
    So here's a curveball idea. Alright, I know this probably won't happen, but I think I know a great way to make Steam collectively sh*t it's pants.

So I think we can all agree that EA and Ubisoft don't actually WANT Origin and Uplay to exist. What they really want is to make more money by not paying Valve and preventing people from pirating their games. If they didn't have to pay Valve, they probably would put their games on Steam.

WELL what if Microsoft teamed up with EA and Ubisoft (and whoever else makes their own games distribution services, those two just come to mind) and assuming that Threshold does very well, they basically put those services in the Windows Store. Like you can search to find Titanfall and it could show up in the store or they could have a "desktop games section" apart from the other stuff. I'm assuming they would have to make the licensing costs worth it, but if they could.... Just think.... You've got a place to buy Halo, Forza, Titanfall, the Sims, and Assasins Creed all in the same store and only have to give out your CC one time and only to one company. Now THAT would be a way for Microsoft to make their dent in PC gaming.

Edit: Also, think of THIS. When BUILD comes around and they brag to developers how much money they're making from the Store, they can use those prices. Hell, selling $30 games would make their "revenue from store" numbers shoot up FAST. That *may* convince developers to make more games/apps, thus helping reach app parity. They can take on Steam and Google Play/App Store at the same time.
    Last edited by Jas00555; 08-01-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    AaHaa likes this.
    08-01-2014 11:12 AM
    I think that's something that COULD have happened, but won't. EA and Ubisoft might have played along before they launched their stuff, but now they've invested the time and money to build up the system and get the customers, and they won't want to lose those people with this now. MAYBE they could work something out with MS on a PC marketplace launch where their games are present, but not something where they shut down Origin and/or UPlay with a deal.
    08-01-2014 01:49 PM
    I think that's something that COULD have happened, but won't. EA and Ubisoft might have played along before they launched their stuff, but now they've invested the time and money to build up the system and get the customers, and they won't want to lose those people with this now. MAYBE they could work something out with MS on a PC marketplace launch where their games are present, but not something where they shut down Origin and/or UPlay with a deal.
    Well yeah, I wouldn't expect them to shut it down. Mainly because of a) discoverability (for a while, people's first place to get an EA/Ubisoft game won't be the Windows Store, especially if they're primarily a desktop user) and b) legacy people still on Windows 7. While I'm sure that most PC gamers will upgrade, there will be some that wont.

I just think that EA and, more so, Ubisoft don't like dealing with the server costs, being responsible for handling many logins and people's CCs, having people hate on the service etc... And would rather have someone else do it, but it just saves them more money by doing it themselves. I don't foresee them shutting it down, but maybe something where they offer it same day in the Windows Store or (more realistically) you basically have a modern/metro Origin running inside the Windows Store. Basically, what I'm imagining here is that to buy Titanfall 2, you go to Windows Store --> "Desktop games" (or whatever) where it takes you to a place that kinda looks like the Windows Store does now, but more mouse/keyboard friendly --> go to "EA" (where in the desktop store, categories are replaced by the top publishers) --> metro/modern Origin.... I mean, or you could just type "Titanfall 2" in the search bar. I realize that sounds like a lot of clicks, but it's really only about 3 once you're inside the store, and it would still be more convenient having 2 game stores instead of 4.

Plus, with extra servers to repurpose, EA can use those to finally take Battlefield 4 out of beta status. (;
    08-01-2014 03:22 PM
32 12