Steam Holiday Sale 2014 is on!

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow
FSX Steam Edition runs great on my crappy desktop!
Worth every penny of 5 bucks.
:wink:

The requirements for that game aren't really high (2GHz single core cpu, 2GB RAM, GPU with 256MB and DX9 compatible)^^

Finally picked up Skyrim Legendary Edition today to ~10€. But it has to wait until I finish Mass Effect....or Batman Arkham....or Assassin's Creed....or Darksiders.....or any other game I started but didn't finish yet^^

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Metro Redux is main eye candy - they updated the graphics quite a bit. That's not to say the original 2033 was bad looking by any stretch of the imagination. They also added in the Ranger mode from Last Light too. Not really any new content, but just giving you more options in the way you actually play it.

I'm a little tempted to Alien: Isolation but I'm also not really into the horror nature of it all that much. Decisions, decisions...

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Saints Row 4 is tempting. If anyone is interested in PC hardware benchmarking, then 3DMark is a nice tool to have.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So Darksiders II is on sale, on a deal of the day - so I think that'll be my first Winter Sale purchase!

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
So Darksiders II is on sale, on a deal of the day - so I think that'll be my first Winter Sale purchase!

Don't forget the Season Pass or get the whole Franchise Pack. Looks like the Season Pass doesn't include every DLC but the franchise pack will be cheaper than game+season pass+dlc.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget the Season Pass or get the whole Franchise Pack. Looks like the Season Pass doesn't include every DLC but the franchise pack will be cheaper than game+season pass+dlc.

I have taken the plunge and got the franchise pack and also got burial at sea parts 1 and 2 for bioshock infinite.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nothing of note on today's sale, IMO. I would get yesterday's PayDay 2 DLC that I'm missing, but I have no one to play that game with, so it would be a waste of $3.50.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I would be interested in Lords of the Fallen but a) I rather wait a few months until the regular price cheaper and a deal again and b) the Denuvo DRM that is used on this one (and Dragon Age Inquisition) is said to destroy/harm SSDs (a lot of writes while gaming, ~30GB in 45min or so. But I might look into XCOM (usually not my kind of genre).

BTW, if you have difficulties deciding whether you should buy one of the daily deals I recommend watching TotalBiscuit's 'Salebox' videos on his YouTube channel. He gives a bit insight to the games (what they are about, if they are fun and eventual flaws, like unfixed bugs/glitches/crashes,...).
https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/featured

Last edited:

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm tempted to pick up the BioShock Franchise triple pack. Tried playing the first one on the console about a year after it came out. But for around $10 it says like a pretty good deal to give this franchise another shot. What do you guys think?

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm tempted to pick up the BioShock Franchise triple pack. Tried playing the first one on the console about a year after it came out. But for around $10 it says like a pretty good deal to give this franchise another shot. What do you guys think?

Looks like a good bargain. I would probably get it myself, but I tend to get motion sick when playing FPS games. I played ~1h of the first BioShock on PC and I really liked the atmosphere (I read the book too; it explains how Rapture became the dystopia it is in the first game).
If you liked it on console you'll probably like it on PC too.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would be interested in Lords of the Fallen but a) I rather wait a few months until the regular price cheaper and a deal again and b) the Denuvo DRM that is used on this one (and Dragon Age Inquisition) is said to destroy/harm SSDs (a lot of writes while gaming, ~30GB in 45min or so. But I might look into XCOM (usually not my kind of genre).

BTW, if you have difficulties deciding whether you should buy one of the daily deals I recommend watching TotalBiscuit's 'Salebox' videos on his YouTube channel. He gives a bit insight to the games (what they are about, if they are fun and eventual flaws, like unfixed bugs/glitches/crashes,...).
https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/featured

Do those games force SSD writes, or is it dependent on where you install the game? I don't put anything I install on my SSD, games go to the WD Black HDD. So, if putting the game on a HDD puts those writes onto the same drive, I don't see what would stop one from purchasing those games.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Do those games force SSD writes, or is it dependent on where you install the game? I don't put anything I install on my SSD, games go to the WD Black HDD. So, if putting the game on a HDD puts those writes onto the same drive, I don't see what would stop one from purchasing those games.

There's mixed information to find: one time it is stated that the Denuvo DRM is causing the insane increase in read/write cycles, other times it is said that the game (Lords of the Fallen) itself is causing this. It also looks like it doesn't matter if it's installed on an SSD or HDD, it can/will harm both.

I for myself will probably not buy those games and keep an eye for this DRM when buying new games.

How The New DRM Denuvo Might Be Damaging Your SSD [Update] - ASidCast ASidCast

Denuvo DRM (used for Lords of the Fallen, Dragon Age Inquisition) DESTROYS drives : pcmasterrace

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Finally, the Fallout games are on-sale. What sucks is that the base games are 75% off, but the DLC-inclusive versions are only 66% off. Given that they were 75% off less than a month ago (I totally ignored the Thanksgiving sale because I figured the Holiday Sale would have everything I wanted for the same or less), I'm a little annoyed about spending the extra $3.80 or so.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed Splinter Cell Blacklist quite a bit. If anyone is interested in that type of game it's definitely worth a look at that price.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I enjoyed Splinter Cell Blacklist quite a bit. If anyone is interested in that type of game it's definitely worth a look at that price.

I thought the series was long dead? Although, it looks like Ubisoft abandoned it in favor of Assassin's Creed. But it's a shame. There's hardly any competition for the legendary Metal Gear series (okay, there's Splinter Cell, Thief, Hitman, Sly Cooper, Tenchu, this new game called "Styx" and....well, I can't think of any more). Seems like good stealth games (series) are rare.

Oh dear....oh dear....someone take away my keyboard and mouse so I can't buy any more games. So far I've purchased 6 games and 1 DLC and I already reached the limit of what I wanted to spend :-/ It's true, those sales are EVIL!!!

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Witcher and Witcher 2 are on sale. $1.49 and $2.99. Been interested in this gaming series for awhile. Seems like a steal for that price! Maybe i'll get them done before the third one arrives..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb