Steam or another platform?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
ANY MEMBER here interested in being in/starting a Steam party with the Windows Central PC Gaming Community?

I have a thread here in the "Windows PC Gaming" section of the forums going on and I'm trying to start something for the community. Maybe something fun and competitive? Or whatever you guys want. :)

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I use steam and gog.

Gog is much better as a platform, because you don't have to use it. The idea is you use it to get the advantages of it, and don't have to take any of the disadvantages.

The problem with steam is how it has insinuated itself so heavily in PC gaming. Worst of all, valve were heavily critical of MS, when their whole business model with steam is doing exactly what they were criticising MS about.

I like the PC master race (the culture built around it), I've been a PC gamer since the mid 90's, but locking the platform down to steam is basically shutting out its biggest strength; decentralisation.

The problem with tying down games to a delivery platform, brings on fragmentation. This is something which may cause problems in the future.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I use steam and gog.

Gog is much better as a platform, because you don't have to use it. The idea is you use it to get the advantages of it, and don't have to take any of the disadvantages.

The problem with steam is how it has insinuated itself so heavily in PC gaming. Worst of all, valve were heavily critical of MS, when their whole business model with steam is doing exactly what they were criticising MS about.

I like the PC master race (the culture built around it), I've been a PC gamer since the mid 90's, but locking the platform down to steam is basically shutting out its biggest strength; decentralisation.

The problem with tying down games to a delivery platform, brings on fragmentation. This is something which may cause problems in the future.
Sorry, what is gog?

Cheers

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, what is gog?

Cheers

From what Josiah23 said, gog is a competing platform for games, however it is different in one large aspect and that is they don't have DRM on any of the games they sell. You can download the files, and then install the game on whatever computer you want, whenever, wherever without an internet connection and however many times you want.

Gog started off as 'Good Old Games', they reworked old games to make them run on new machines, but they've always had no DRM as a policy. I for one prefer no DRM, in the early days of steam, they'd have period where things didn't work and it would stop you from accessing your games, especially if you lost your internet connection.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
From what Josiah23 said, gog is a competing platform for games, however it is different in one large aspect and that is they don't have DRM on any of the games they sell. You can download the files, and then install the game on whatever computer you want, whenever, wherever without an internet connection and however many times you want.

Gog started off as 'Good Old Games', they reworked old games to make them run on new machines, but they've always had no DRM as a policy. I for one prefer no DRM, in the early days of steam, they'd have period where things didn't work and it would stop you from accessing your games, especially if you lost your internet connection.
I didn't know about this, thanks for your explanation. Are there any games that you recommend from that platform?
Cheers

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I didn't know about this, thanks for your explanation. Are there any games that you recommend from that platform?
Cheers

I'm more so into AAA games with crazy good graphics and decent gameplay but every once in a while I'll try to play not so intensive games.

I might actually start using GOG.

My personal choices from GOG would be:

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Goty Edition (Played and enjoyed it)

This is the police (Wanted to get it)

Stardew Valley... maybe (Looks decent)

Quern - Undying Thoughts (Looks interesting)

The Signal From Tölva (Looks very interesting, I might get it)

Orwell (Seen it on Steam, it looks interesting)

And maybe one of the Star Wars games like:

Star Wars Battlefront II (Definitely a good game)

Knights of the Old Republic (Wanted to try it)

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm more so into AAA games with crazy good graphics and decent gameplay but every once in a while I'll try to play not so intensive games.

I might actually start using GOG.

My personal choices from GOG would be:

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Goty Edition (Played and enjoyed it)

This is the police (Wanted to get it)

Stardew Valley... maybe (Looks decent)

Quern - Undying Thoughts (Looks interesting)

The Signal From Tölva (Looks very interesting, I might get it)

Orwell (Seen it on Steam, it looks interesting)

And maybe one of the Star Wars games like:

Star Wars Battlefront II (Definitely a good game)

Knights of the Old Republic (Wanted to try it)
Expect for the Star Wars games I never heard about the other ones. Will definitely check them out, thanks for sharing. :)
Cheers

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Witcher 3 is very well regarded, I can recommend it, but you do need a beefy PC to run it.

Generally the reviews in gog are reliable, not quite like how steam does it, but be warned, that some really highly regarded games are for the purists, where the game may be an excellent example of that style, but it's not for everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo