OLD W95 Fly simulator on W10 or W XP

anon(9801888)

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
I would love to crank up my old cd of the Fly simulator. I loved playing with that.
I had the original and the extra cds with patches that always crashed. I found a re released version in my drawer recently, so I think that's all I have.

I have a Lenovo 32 bit Thinkpad with an i3 something and 8gb of RAM on W10 Pro, or an unconnected rig (OK a Medion off the shelf in 2002) on XP with a Pentium 4 and ancient graphics card.
I have a 1200 x 900 20" monitor I use for the laptop, and an even lower res one for the XP (just for playing music, and storage)

This game / sim was well known and liked , I think. The developer had bad health a little later.

Can these be made to run smoothly today. Can the patches be found.

I know nothing really about pc's except how to compare spec.

I didn't really prepare properly before writing this on my phone. I can find the CD at home.

Anyone know about this? TIA.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I would love to crank up my old cd of the Fly simulator. I loved playing with that.
I had the original and the extra cds with patches that always crashed. I found a re released version in my drawer recently, so I think that's all I have.

I have a Lenovo 32 bit Thinkpad with an i3 something and 8gb of RAM on W10 Pro, or an unconnected rig (OK a Medion off the shelf in 2002) on XP with a Pentium 4 and ancient graphics card.
I have a 1200 x 900 20" monitor I use for the laptop, and an even lower res one for the XP (just for playing music, and storage)

This game / sim was well known and liked , I think. The developer had bad health a little later.

Can these be made to run smoothly today. Can the patches be found.

I know nothing really about pc's except how to compare spec.

I didn't really prepare properly before writing this on my phone. I can find the CD at home.

Anyone know about this? TIA.

I went to Google: "Windows 95 Flight Simulator".
Check this at Amazon - no CD just a download: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Fl...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3604660

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

anon(9801888)

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot. I found the Xplosive (re-released) CD when I got home. The original cover is re-done on the back.
It's not Microsoft but a different game called Fly from 1999 by Terminal Reality (their story is interesting, I just found).

I hope I can get this thing working smoothly, I remember giving up about 10 years ago.
The official site is no more, it seems.

I should do more research before posting :p

Your link BTW goes to Madcatz mice on Amazon De/Germany even though the link says otherwise, but I'm in the UK.

I'll see how this goes over the next few days and maybe ask for more help then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly!

Fly! Review - GameSpot

Fly! - PC - IGN

FlightSim.Com - Fly! Team At Terminal Reality

Last edited:

anon(9801888)

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
I was just looking at that on Amazon here, lol. I tried one or two of the earlier Microsoft sims, and while they're great if you are locked in a cabin for the winter somewhere, you have to get past a lot of steps to fly anything.

That's why Fly, for me, was absolutely brilliant and you can easily forgive it's few foibles.You can go straight in to fly a Hawker exec jet ot a Cessna 182. The extra small windows for nav and views etc were great.

I flew with the vertical rudder thing locked by default but it was enormously satisfying to be put in to the middle of a specific mission (landing at SFO in low cloud and visibility at night) or doing a full flight but fast forwarding along a flight path. Ah it bring it all back. It was a very satisfying sim, though it often crashed.

I just wondered if technically it would not work. The great review above and here Fly! Review - GameSpot
said frame rates were sometimes 20 - 10 fps although it seemed fine in practise.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
DId you try it ? Windows 95 applications had a lot of 16-bit code in it, you will never be able to run them in a x64 platform. I have had luck running Windows 3.1/95 apps (a old monopoly game and some classic arcade games that was a Windows 3.1/95 app) in a x32 Windows 7 with no problems.

But, to be honest with you have not tried to run it in Windows 10 (x32). My main machine has 32gb of ram, so putting in a 32bit OS only allows 3.5gb of memory being used so would never do that.

If you want an EASIER way to run classic games like I do, Install Vmware player (or install Hyper-V if your on 10 pro), and install Windows 95 (or the OS of your choice) and install your game to the VM. The old games take so little resources these days, you should not have any problems running them full screen in a VM.... I would not try to run a game in the last 5-7 years but, something in the 3.1/95 time frame you should not have an issue.

And it's always interesting seeing what you can see with IE 5.5 (the last version of IE for WIndows 95), you'ld be shocked that some sites still work good on it...

Last edited:

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
DId you try it ? Windows 95 applications had a lot of 16-bit code in it, you will never be able to run them in a x64 platform. I have had luck running Windows 3.1/95 apps (a old monopoly game and some classic arcade games that was a Windows 3.1/95 app) in a x32 Windows 7 with no problems.

But, to be honest with you have not tried to run it in Windows 10 (x32). My main machine has 32gb of ram, so putting in a 32bit OS only allows 3.5gb of memory being used so would never do that.

If you want an EASIER way to run classic games like I do, Install Vmware player (or install Hyper-V if your on 10 pro), and install Windows 95 (or the OS of your choice) and install your game to the VM. The old games take so little resources these days, you should not have any problems running them full screen in a VM.... I would not try to run a game in the last 5-7 years but, something in the 3.1/95 time frame you should not have an issue.

And it's always interesting seeing what you can see with IE 5.5 (the last version of IE for WIndows 95), you'ld be shocked that some sites still work good on it...
Those are great tips. A virtual machine with Windows 98 could help.
Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans